Why make addons (evm, btl, evossj4) when it won't matter in the end?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Throughout the years of ESF, many people have been wanting movie characters, more transformations, more characters, more tweaks, etc to the game because what the team wants in may conflict with the wants of the community. Due to this reason, members of the community would join forces and create addons for ESF, extensions to the game which would allow for more features such as more characters, more transformations, etc. Now there are also times when the team will make a newer version which would then ultimately render these addons in vain, because these addons are less superior to the upgrade of the game by the ESF team. Such can be said of EEA, where in 1.1 it thrived among the community. When 1.2 came out, EEA did not thrive as 1.2 ultimately had a better implementation of features.

Currently, many addons for ESF are being created because the 1.2.x series does not satisfy some community members needs. Addons such as EVM and BTL have been arising to fill in the need for the extra content, more eyecandy, and features that would make a ESF fan "piss in their pants."

But why go through all the hard work and trouble if these addons will most likely be forgotten when 1.3 rolls around the corner? I'm not trying to bash these addons, because most likely I would like to try some of them for variation to the game. But working for something, which will in the future, does it seem a little bit unwise?

1.3, I believe, will most likely be the last version of ESF, unless the team decides to have patches to fix bugs that might be discovered. Features that these addons are including will most likely be included already into ESF version 1.3. Why work on something that will be rendered useless when 1.3 is here?

I suggest for these addons to make something that will won't rendered useless when 1.3 rolls around. Why not make gamemodes (duel modes, tournament modes, round based games, time games) instead? Why not make missions that replay certain events in the DBZ timeline, such as the brutal battle between goku and frieza? Have a coop mode against a very super bot brolly? Kill cell before he sucks up the androids? Things like these would be a more wiser thing to work on instead of features that will be implemented in the future.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
why ask why =P

1.3 wont be out for awhile and people are impatient, thus opening the door for transformation addons.

that doesnt have much to do with your topic as a whole though, it is to my understanding (and im probabaly 100% wrong on this) but i dont think that drastic of a change is possible without the esf source code, limiting the addons to flashy effects and edits of existing attacks/techniques.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's an interesting point, arguably I could say 'Why bother with 1.3 when eventually there'll be a mod just as good on the Source engine?' Here are some answers:

1) It doesn't take nearly as long to make an addon as it does to make 1.3.
2) There are things that annoy the community (Trunks' speed, bugged Scattershot, awful Renzoku) that are easy fixes in an addon, but officially we won't see 'til 1.3.
3) We want more variation. There is no arguinging the fact that there is a constant clamour for movie/gt content in ESF, yet the team won't do it. Addons can fix that.
4) More creativity, if a suggestion gets shot down in the suggestion section it can be added to an addon. Plus we can add what we want rather than what the team wants.
5) It's actually quite fun to make an addon. Creating stuff, testing stuff, finding out what works and what doesn't etc.
6) It lays the groundwork for a 1.3 addon. If 1.3 is indeed the last encarnation of ESF then you can bet the addons will keep going, knowing that there are no new versions and adding/fixing/changing everything and anything that needs it.

I'd like to point out that any 1.2 addon, including new game modes/pseudo story mode, will be rendered useless in 1.3 due to code changes anyway. If 1.3 is the end then you might see a new version of EVM/BTL/EVO for 1.3, and that won't become outdated.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
nuttzy said:
why ask why =P
Why not?

As for everything else. It's a good point. But personally, no one can make a good addon. I just hope that 1.3 will be good. It's taken them over a year to make and counting, it should be awsome. Just wait and see I suppose. The only thing EVM can really do is make GT stuff. Or if they do the game modes, a story mode would kick ass.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Im going to be speaking for BTL only, dont knoow what evm or evo wil do...
imkongkong said:
But why go through all the hard work and trouble if these addons will most likely be forgotten when 1.3 rolls around the corner?
Actually BTL's aim is to take the game in a different direction than what 1.3 is taking it. Since most features thats currently in 1.2 are all mostly redone, the big one is the melee system, and transforming PL system.

imkongkong said:
1.3, I believe, will most likely be the last version of ESF, unless the team decides to have patches to fix bugs that might be discovered. Features that these addons are including will most likely be included already into ESF version 1.3. Why work on something that will be rendered useless when 1.3 is here?
Well, like I just said above, BTL is steering away from how 1.3 works, so once 1.3 is out, you could say BTL will be more independant. Also, its going to be a seperate install in steam(choose btl in steam menu)

imkongkong said:
I suggest for these addons to make something that will won't rendered useless when 1.3 rolls around. Why not make gamemodes (duel modes, tournament modes, round based games, time games) instead?
Well, things like this is being done, mainly the duel mode many want, and also a different team mode with a 'twist'.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
RavenTrunks said:
Also, its going to be a seperate install in steam(choose btl in steam menu)
Wow, I can't believe I didn't know that, that's awesome!

Fire Phoenix said:
But personally, no one can make a good addon. I just hope that 1.3 will be good.
EVM may suck but EEA was pretty good. I just hope BTL will make you change your mind :]

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
RavenTrunks said:
Well, things like this is being done, mainly the duel mode many want, and also a different team mode with a 'twist'.
BTL will have a duel mode?

That's ****ing awesome. :yes:

Best answers
imkongkong said:
But why go through all the hard work and trouble if these addons will most likely be forgotten when 1.3 rolls around the corner? I'm not trying to bash these addons, because most likely I would like to try some of them for variation to the game. But working for something, which will in the future, does it seem a little bit unwise?
I agree with you. To me, it seems like a waste of time, I mean sure, they might be fun, but once 1.3 comes out, they'll all, most likely, be left in the dust.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mccdbz5 said:
How about you give us a reason why you want to.
I already gave you the reason. We want to because we simply feel like it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
:3 I would imagine it to be a very nice creative outlet that also improves one's skills in operating in a team, each contributing to one common goal.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Shiyojin Rommyu said:
:3 I would imagine it to be a very nice creative outlet that also improves one's skills in operating in a team, each contributing to one common goal.
Nope. We just feel like ****ing around and getting praised and glorified.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I look at this way; We make it because of what we want to see, change or play in ESF. I want to play as Janemba, and we're adding Janemba, so I don't mind helping as much or as little as possible to help reach that goal. The fact that it becomes publicly available is an added bonus, because it means we have people to play against. So yeah, it's pretty much selfish work ;) Same goes for Operation Tien, except hopefully without the dying-right-at-the-end-of-the-project part.

Beats just waiting for 1.3 and posting 'When will it be out????' in the forums.

Best answers
Yeah, but, most people would rather wait for ESF 1.3 than something like BTL or EVM 3.0. I am still going to try out BTL, but once 1.3 comes out, I don't care how good BTL is, I'm trading it for 1.3.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah.. people rather play 1.3, but its not here. People do it for the sake of making the game more enjoyable for people like you.

Do you want them to stop? then youll have nothing. :S

Best answers
Mccdbz5 said:
Yeah, but, most people would rather wait for ESF 1.3 than something like BTL or EVM 3.0. I am still going to try out BTL, but once 1.3 comes out, I don't care how good BTL is, I'm trading it for 1.3.
Chances are at this point that btl will be out before 1.3, and I think they know that, 1.3 is only about 50% done anyway...

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So don't you want ssj4 or movie content? I guess not :(. That's another good reason for addons, as they will please fans a bit more. EVM isn't pleasing or that enjoyable due to how everyon will jsut go ssj3 & beam spam, but btl should be pretty dam fun compared to evm, and have more useful features to say the least as judging from the current btl outline, they have more gameplay ideas in mind then purely just adding more transformations (you also get more charcters too :D).

In the end though it is really up to you, you have the right to not like something or not paly something, your choice in the end with what you pick. It's just awsome though that third party projects get released, it's something fun for a majority of the community to play around with.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Barney's Soul said:
Chances are at this point that btl will be out before 1.3, and I think they know that, 1.3 is only about 50% done anyway...
You really need to research your facts before you make statements like that. =P

Anywho, yeah, i'm not too fond of all the add-ons, personally I'd like to see an add on devoted solely to game modes. Hell even then if they're good enough they could just be added to the actual 1.3 installation with the creators approval.

But that's just a dream I guess...

Best answers
See, Kama, that's what I think is a good idea as well, someone could make a mode addon to ESF, and then if you guys like it, you can include it in the next version, which would make 1.3 even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom