What was your gateway anime?

Best answers
What was the anime that you first saw that really got you into this genre?

The first anime that I saw was also the first that got me into it, which was Sailor Moon, DBZ, and Akira. i am glad to say that I have moved way beyond DBZ and Sailor Moon and now enjoy "real" anime. :p

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Akira, and i think that a lot of people will agree with me on that one.

Akira will be in the anime hall of fame (when they decide to finally have one)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The first anime I ever saw was Sailor Moon, but that didn't get me into it.
My 'gateway' anime was DBZ I guess.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I take a lot of resentment of you calling Sailormoon a "gateway anime." If you're refering to the abomination American dub of Sailormoon, then that's fine.

But the real Bishijou Senshi Sailormoon is a classic, and it is tied in Japan as being the most popular anime in the history of the genre.

(Just a sidenote, my name is actually not from SM, it's part of a Greek myth.)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fist of the North Star, My brother used to watch anime all the time, and i watched with him.

Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The first anime I ever watched was DBZ, of course. But others included Akira, Tenchi Muyo. Most of the anime that was on Toonami at the same time DBZ was.

Best answers
The first one i ever saw was called Blue Seed..then i saw Tekkaman Blade(sp?) both made me want to watch anime

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sailor Moon man. Yeah, DBZ was on too, but uh... yeah. Wow, look at that flurry of magical fists that don't hit anything. How exciting.

Sailor Moon had drama, style, and class. I give it 3 thumbs up. It's the reason I got into anime as a genre. Well, that and Tenchi Muyo.

Best answers
Started off with DBZ, by all means. Long time after that I got to watch Rurouni Kenshin, best anime I've ever seen so far.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
transformers(80s), voltron, robotech these were all around the same time and i watched them all

Best answers
I think it would be a two hit combination

Macross i bleave is got me watching it, then la blue girl got me to the 100% mode of anime . . . the mode of 5 hours of new anime per day!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sailor Moon, Samurai Pizza Cats (PWNAGE!!!!!!), Casshan: Robot Hunter, Iria: Zerim The Animation, The Maxx, Aeon Flux (Not my fave), and a few I can't remember the titles to (Sci-Fi Played Them)

I got into anime when I was like...in 4th grade, thanks mostly to The Sci-Fi Channel which stopped playing anime a few years back >.<

I saw Aeon Flux and The Maxx on MTV...*Gasp* It's true, MTV used to play anime back in the day, late at night, now its all REAL WORLD, Overplayed "Popular" Music Vids, ROAD RULES, and the REAL WORLD ROAD RULES CHALLENGE, god MTV loves teh cawk.

Best answers
Actually I forgot all about Tenchi Muyo, Transformers, the Maxx, and Aeon Flux. The MTV used to be the shiz, but now I never even look in it's general direction.

Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
1m4 0wn y0 455 said:
transformers(80s), voltron, robotech these were all around the same time and i watched them all
Oh man, I totally forgot Transformers. I was/still am a huge transformers nut.

Best answers
The first anime i watched was dbz when it first came on upn,i was like six than(im 17 now)and they had like the first 12 episodes than they stoped showing it,also they had some show after it where people fought in robot suits(not x squad or gundam)it was a great anime but i cant remeber what it was called.

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't liek anime, the only one I liked was Princess Mononokee

Retired Forum Staff
Best answers
Gah, the first was Pokemon for me.. We all got to start somewhere! :p

(If it counts, I watched the "Thundercats" when I was like 5.)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The first anime I ever watched (without even knowing it was an anime) was Ronin Warriors. That was before it was even on cartoon network... I was a lil kid. Gateway though... Robotech, and that stuff they showed on Sci-Fi like Iria, Armitage, etc.

Hell yes to the Samurai Pizza Cats!!!!!!!

I feel like a rant on how Sailormoon sucks, but I'll get my ass kicked left and right so :X

Best answers
Abhorsen said:
The first anime i watched was dbz when it first came on upn,i was like six than(im 17 now)and they had like the first 12 episodes than they stoped showing it,also they had some show after it where people fought in robot suits(not x squad or gundam)it was a great anime but i cant remeber what it was called.

Bubblegum Crisis perhaps?

Anyway, what got me into Japanese cartoons was Galaxy Express 999, which is still one of my favorites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom