Troops in Iraq want video games to replace dead friends.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/ingame/troops-war-relief-arrives-package-video-games-1C6894445

In the early months of 2012, a soldier from the Indiana National Guard's 713th Engineer Company stationed in Afghanistan sent a note asking for help:

My unit and I just suffered a HORRIFIC loss in just the first nine weeks of a 12-month tour out in Afghanistan, so I was hoping that a care package from you guys would help ease the pain a little for the guys that are still here in the fight.

I was in the 8th truck; five soldiers were in the 3rd truck of our convoy. We were all out on a mission when they ran over an IED [improvised explosive device]. We were able to save one of my soldiers in that truck. THANK GOD FOR THAT!

The soldier, seeking to help his team recover from a tragedy that occurred during what one official called a "very important" but "extremely dangerous" mission, knew what was needed:

PS3
Xbox
Any fighting or boxing games
Any sports games
Guitar Hero
2 extra PS3 controllers
2 extra Xbox controllers
Computer games
External hard drive
Gaming mouse
Gaming headsets
Gaming keyboard
I don't know, seems so weird...they lost their friends...so tragic...and then they ask for this stuff, I don't know what to make of it honestly. It feels almost like a joke. =/

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well... The only thing I know to do anymore when someone passes that was close to me is to jump on a game and try to forget it ever existed till I am forced to take it on.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
There has been research done that playing games such as Tetris can help in cases dealing with post-traumatic stress. So there is some beneficial elements for asking something like this, however I think they got overboard with the whole gaming set! A PS3, two controllers and some games would suffice.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not exactly sure how I feel about this. On one hand, that is quite an extensive list to request and receive. But on the other hand, I'm willing to bet that the idea was mostly to support the one surviving soldier from the vehicle that hit the IED. I can also accept the argument that gaming together boosts troop morale as well.

Either way, these guys are doing something I am far too much of a pussy to do. Veterans do not get near the amount of benefits they should after they return from war, especially the ones who suffer grievous injury in action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom