The everlasting discussion - Do strategy games make you smarter?

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I read some opinions about it in forums via searching in google. Now im bringing the discussion to this forum.

Do strategy games make you smarter? (While you may think it is about board games as well, such as chess, im referring to video games solely)

Now I will mention one opinion here - Smart people are attracted to this games, the games itself do not make you smarter then you were before.

I believe that they do, and I will explain: Such as math, using your brain is training the brain. You either use your brain or lose your brain. Just like body training some people start with a better basis than others (I mean that when they don't train their body looks better than other people who don't train) and some people react better to training than others. The fact that you are weak now doesn't mean you can not train and become strong.
Same with the brain - by using it and taking it to its limits we make our brains process inforamtion faster, we can improve our memory, we can analyze better events, art and so on and reach deeper, more informative conclusions on our own.

In strategy games you use your brain - To be successful and efficient you need to know what to build, when to build. You need to decide why would you even build it (decisions and conclusions).
You need to manage yourself so you will not go bankrupt, so you can keep supporting your military and not get into financial deficiency which will stuck your whole progress.

On the world map you need to decide if you are going to conquer, why are you going to conquer, what is the best place to conquer strategy wise, how much money do you need to support this conquest (training the military).

And let's not forget the intel network - spies. You need to put spies all over the world so you could see if there is an oncoming attack, or to check your neighboring factions army status, cities' technology and garrisons.
This also connects to the conquest aspect - should you even conquer in the current status of the rival faction?

There is also the diplomacy aspect, but I found it very buggy (in Rome Total War)

I am sure others of you could find different aspects as well.

Share your opinions!

Note: The entire post refers to the gameplay of the Total War game series, as I found it the most challenging and interesting strategy video game.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I had no idea this was an everlasting discussion.

Maybe because I don't play strategy games.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They can make you whore the AIs weak points into infinity. Other than that, they are mostly a mass rush fest. With the exception of total war and similar.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You would have to define "smart" in order for anyone to answer this question. If you mean "in general", a recent study indicates that playing games does not make you smarter.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Does it make you smarter? No. But I do believe it games could help you build mental sets, allowing you to more quickly learn other games or assess situations differently in real life (I don't think a game like Total War could help you assess things differently in real life, but if a game were to be build to change your assessment skills, they would probably be able to).

The downside is though, games give you a twisted sense of realism. Making war like in games such as Total War is probably not even close to the same as how they did it back in days. Although you can ambush your enemies, flank them and what not, you can also easily just rush your opponent head on, and still win rather easily at times. While real wars take a lot more planning in advance.

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No game makes you smarter. In my experience you only get more driven to get things done.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can see strategy games possibly giving you more ability to divide your focus up a bit, but not much more than that.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I absolutely agree with conan (the deco) and yes, they stimule the brain to reflex, math, preparation and operation, conduction and conclusion, improvisation if needed, most of strategy players today will have their next generations evolution of brain instead of shrinking like recent studies show, human kind is decaying, we need more macromanangement players.

Back from the shadows
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Too lazy to read.
Games have definetely proven to help develop hand-eye coordination. As for gradual increase in intelligence, yes, if a kid starts playing at the age of 2-3 while his neurons are still fresh and still in formation... after a certain age your brain remains limited by a threshold thats been pushed up by stimulation... say if your IQ is 125 at the age of 6, it will stay that way most of the time.
So if you suck ass at strategy games, youll suck ass pretty much forever.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I would think one's vocabulary would increase, at least with me. ****ing Kirby Super Star taught me what "plasma" was. Some games could also teach mercantile skills *slightly*. I would also like to think problem solving skills (very generic, I know) could improve as well. And if you aren't playing with a bunch of foul mouthed 14 year olds online, you can learn about different cultures which comes from people who are either much older than you or people in a different country/state.

I would also argue that, indirectly, video games have helped create a community of artists, using ESF as an example. I'm sure PLENTY of people have learned how to model, code, texture, or animate better thanks to their interests in games and how possible it is for anyone to make a small game.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I' m too lazy to read all of so for the title of the thread:
Maybe they do. They develop your thinking. If you're some nob cake who doesn't have an idea of how war works... This is what he needs I suppose :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Too lazy to read.
Games have definetely proven to help develop hand-eye coordination. As for gradual increase in intelligence, yes, if a kid starts playing at the age of 2-3 while his neurons are still fresh and still in formation... after a certain age your brain remains limited by a threshold thats been pushed up by stimulation... say if your IQ is 125 at the age of 6, it will stay that way most of the time.
So if you suck ass at strategy games, youll suck ass pretty much forever.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I wouldn't say that they make you smarter, but I do think that they can help you out in life. We have to examine what it takes to become a top tier RTS player.

RTS games require good reflexes, fast fingers and good hand eye coordination. Not very important in the grand scheme of things, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

RTS games require the ability to make quick decisions and trust your instincts. You cannot second guess yourself, you need to trust your instinct. Very important skill to have.

In that same respect, being a top tier RTS player requires you to have great self confidence. A lot of it is just a mindgame. If you go into a match thinking, "Oh ****, I'm up against ___, ___ is too good, he'll destroy me!", you're going to lose. Jaedong (one of the top Starcraft players) was once asked if he ever gets worried during a match. He said that there's no point in worrying when he knows he'll win. That's the attitude you need to succeed in RTS games, and I think an attitude like that translates extremely well to success in real life.

You have to have a great memory. "__ unit counters ___ unit". Or "he's using ___ strategy so I should counter that with ___". Not to mention all the hotkeys you'll need to know like the back of your hand.

You have to have an excellent ability to plan ahead. I'm not even talking about further ahead in one particular match, but if you're in a tournament, you have to have a plan for each game you're going into. And not just any plan, but if you want to be a top tier player, they need to be good plans. Having a plan for everything is again something that translates extremely well into real life.

You also need to be able to read what your opponent is doing and judging other people. In this same respect, you need to be able to make convincing bluffs and attempt to fool others. Judging the intentions of others is certainly something that's important in life.

You have to be willing to lose. You're going to lose a lot if you want to get to the top. Learning to accept defeat and viewing it as an opportunity to learn is probably one of the most important things you can learn in life.

Again in that same respect, you learn that have to be willing to become invested in something (in this case, time / energy) if you want to succeed.

You can also learn that you can find great success by doing the opposite of what's expected of you and defy the standards. There's a SC2 player called TheLittleOne, the guy goes out of his way to be innovative in matches and he's by far one of the better players out there.

I could go on, but I have to go to class. You get the idea, becoming a top tier RTS player will help you out in real life. I don't know if it'll make you smarter, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The OP kind of answered himself. But, yeah... if you can apply effective economy rationing and military flanking strategy to RL, then yes, RTS's make you smarter.

As far as Video Games in general... if you expose yourself to anything that requires you to think and react faster, constantly. I imagine your brain would be irreversibly altered towards thinking and reacting faster to specific situations. You have to consider a lot of personality presets and resource advantages (sounds like RTS talk) as well.

I've played a ton of Age of Empires, and far as it effecting my IQ, other than slightly improving what some would consider High-School level math skills... I'd wouldn't say it changed my life.

I believe humans get most of their intelligence from confidence in retaining knowledge or seeking it, anyways.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
All video games ever did for me was teach me English. And really, who needs that?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I concur. Let's make Dutch the main language of the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom