TES IV: Oblivion *spoilers possible*

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Majin_You said:
As I said in my previous post, my computer is, by technological standards, an old heap. It can run Oblivion smoothly at medium settings. The only one of the minimums I do not exceed, mind you, is the video card. I have, exactly, a 128 MB video card (9800 Pro).
Wow, I can actually run it, most of my specs are equal to or ever so slightly above what's required. Thanks Maj =)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
Wow, I can actually run it, most of my specs are equal to or ever so slightly above what's required. Thanks Maj =)
try this.

http://www.systemrequirementslab.co...tion_option_id=2574&submit2.x=50&submit2.y=23

It'll grade you and let you know if you passed for the minimum requirements and the reccomended specs.

I just tested it on mine. I pass the minimum requirements, but I failed the reccomended ones because I need more RAM and apparently a 6600GT is weaker than a normal 6800.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
6600GT is weaker than a normal 6800
Go figure.

Im liking the lezzy stuff seen earlier. Looks awesome!

As for Morrowind, the melee there was done by rolling dice, this is real-time combat. It should be ownage! ETA: 6d 7h... feck.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cap J said:
Morrowind was in real-time too but attacks just had crap accuracy.
From what I've played of the game, that just isn't the case anymore. I didn't much like the statistically-determined hits in Morrowind, so I was relieved to find that, in Oblivion, the only way for you to miss in melee combat is if, after you run up to the enemy swinging your choice of weapon, the enemy ducks out of the way. Otherwise, if you swing, and he/she/it is within striking distance and is still in front of you, he/she/it is going to get hit. Skill with a weapon set no longer detemines your accuracy with that weapon, but, instead, allows you to deal more damage and, at higher levels, use some nifty power attacks that can disarm, knock down, or even paralyze your enemy.

Also, I'm really enjoying ranged combat. I opted to make my character an archer, as I was hoping that it'd be a more fun class to play as in Oblivion than it was in Morrowind. It's a ton of fun, whether it be sneaking up and sending an arrow sailing into your enemy's skull, or having a shootout with another archer (the AI makes for some nice fights, there; I found it interesting that, after taking cover and nocking a new arrow, my enemy opted to run for cover, himself. I returned from my cover, expecting to see him waiting [old AI from Morrowind suggested, to me, that he wouldn't do anything spectacular], and found that he vanished. Silly me - I was focused on the area where he was, so I didn't see him sneaking out from behind a column...well, until an arrow hit my character from the right-hand side of the screen -_-)

Magic is also a lot more sensible. You no longer have to sheath your weapon, wait for your hands to free up, and then cast the spell. If you have your sword out, and you want to shoot a fireball at the enemy, you can simply cast the spell through the sword. The same goes for restoration magic - you can heal yourself regardless of whether or not your weapon is out.

As a result, I find combat a lot more fast-paced. I think that people who were disappointed with the rather slow, dice-powered combat of Morrowind will be in for a very pleasant surprise, here.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
~*Logan*~ said:
apparently a 6600GT is weaker than a normal 6800.
Because it is ;).

I have a sheep following me around everywhere. I think I'm going to kill it, but it keeps making a cute little sound whenever I look at it =(.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Do you guys know what the icons mean when you're changing weapon? That is the one thing I don't like about this game so far, a lot of things are icon based and I have no idea what the icons mean (Why aren't there any mouse overs?)

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/8676/92734520060324screen0028rz.jpg

And no, that's not my character, I stole that pic from the net.

@Smith: Lol, thats awesome.

Best answers
errr i cant play the game even on low details :(

and i have 2.5 ghz 512 ram and a geforce 5700 se Oo

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sub said:
Do you guys know what the icons mean when you're changing weapon? That is the one thing I don't like about this game so far, a lot of things are icon based and I have no idea what the icons mean (Why aren't there any mouse overs?)

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/8676/92734520060324screen0028rz.jpg

And no, that's not my character, I stole that pic from the net.

@Smith: Lol, thats awesome.
The icons mean..

1) Coin Value
2) Weight
3) Protection Rating
4) Durability.

I thought they were pretty self-explanatory after 20 minutes of playing. :/

frsrblch said:
ETA: 6d 7h... feck.
Bethesda deserves to be paid for this game. =P

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lol

shield - armor
sword - damage
feather - weight
coin - "value" wether you get that much for it depends on your mercantile and haggering skills, and the person your trying to slel it to.
this game rocks...

omg rockess - edit -

spoiler]Ok i made like a thief ranged person, joined the dark brother hood, did some quests, killed some people, then this dude bit me and i turned into a vampire, now i have to feed and if i dont my strength increases but other things are effected, but you get all kinds of cool abilities and stuff, and you look bad ass :O[spoiler

Best answers
This game is fantastic. I've been playing it pretty solidly since I got it yesterday for my 360. There's just so much to see and do. Even something as simple as walking between two near-by towns will take me hours, as I keep getting distracted by things I spot when running around. There are a few problems with the game, but they're a drop in the ocean. Any RPG fan owes it to themselves to pick this one up.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
-JLN- said:
This game is fantastic. I've been playing it pretty solidly since I got it yesterday for my 360. There's just so much to see and do. Even something as simple as walking between two near-by towns will take me hours, as I keep getting distracted by things I spot when running around. There are a few problems with the game, but they're a drop in the ocean. Any RPG fan owes it to themselves to pick this one up.
You can quick travel, you know. Makes it a lot quicker to get places =).

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't like that they made hand to hand a combat skill (before it was thief and speed based wasn't it?), or that acrobatics is now speed, and now that combat is really real time agility doesn't seem to affect anything anymore. The game's difficulty also seems to scale directly with your level instead of say, your combat attributes, meaning if you level up off of stealth or alchemy or mercantile or what have you, you'll be less equipped to handle the enemies you will inevitably have to battle with throughout the course of the game, particularly if you are hand to hand. It would be nice if some of the enemies stopped running into walls, too, but I wont be too picky. Outside of all that I really like the game so far, there's just a lot to do and the quests usually aren't boring. Being able to stalk people as they travel throughout their day is cool too, if you're patient like that.

Almost all of the exploits I found in morrowind are still present in oblivion, though, skill wise and combat wise, and the fact that whenever you kill anyone just about anywhere all of the guards in the world are instantly notified is a real turn off, but the game is solid and if you play it the way it's designed it's a lot of fun.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
true but items and equipment scale to you as well.

i dont understand how magic works yet really, all my spells suck horribly.

Best answers
Smith said:
You can quick travel, you know. Makes it a lot quicker to get places =).
The problem with quick travel is that I know I'm going to miss out on something cool. I always come away with some decent loot whenever I raid a cave or dungeon or whatever.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There is one thing I'm not quite digging at the moment: All Oblivion worlds are... the same, just with towers in different locations. It begins to feel repetitive.

Also, does anyone else think Oblivion looks almost identical to Doom 3's hell? =P

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Smith| said:
There is one thing I'm not quite digging at the moment: All Oblivion worlds are... the same, just with towers in different locations. It begins to feel repetitive.

Also, does anyone else think Oblivion looks almost identical to Doom 3's hell? =P
bleh screw doom three, they have class so they ripped it from DIABLO 2's HELL!

Best answers
Oblivion realm = Xen from half life = the worste and a waste of time if not empelemented in the right way. i love the dark brotherhood and their assassin missions.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm amazed that nobody has posted anything about the numerous bugs in the game yet, or am I the only one getting them? After playing a while, I usually save the game and just screw around for a little bit, killing NPC traders etc. Now I shot this guard from behind, while "sneaking" (there were at least 3 other guards around me), and the other guards suddenly decide to attack and kill one of the other guards that were around me... o_O

Also, the game is running VERY poorly on my pc, while my specs aren't that bad. I can run HL2 on pretty high settings quite smoothly, but with Oblivion I need to tune it down to below medium to make it reasonably playable. If there are more than 3 enemies on screen I don't really stand a chance in ranged combat, which isn't nice as a mage or archer.

I didn't expect my pc to handle the game well on high settings, but I am disappointed with the performance I'm currently getting at such low settings.

Specs:
AMD 2500+ Barton
Ati Radeon 9700
1,25 GB RAM

Also, my brother has an even better pc with 1 GB of RAM, and the game gets choppy as well when there's about 4-5 enemies on screen. He does play on higher settings though.

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I want this game soooo bad... :(

I finished Morrowind, must have Oblivion!!! D:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
only bugs' i found were after playing for 15 hours on a 360 the 360 gets hot, literally and the game starts to slow down a bit, and somtimes freeze.

though i dont really like how if you kill some1 the guards magicly know about it, thats about the only thing i can complain about. and how the game tends to leave out some helpful things. like theres a mission with the dark brotherhood where you take a potion and replace it with poison, you have to opn the cupboard, take the potion, and put your poison inside the cupboard by pressing the left trigger like you would sell items to a merchant. yea, that took me a long time to figure out. it was kind of funny actually because for the quest you couldnt kill anyone or be detected, the first round i killed everyone by sneaking and wasnt detected, so no message popped up, but i didnt know how to work the medicine thing so i restarted because i thought i messed up by killing people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom