Team Fortress 2 is now free.... forever!

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
PC Gamer said:
For the first time in as long as we can remember, Counter-Strike has been knocked off the top spot on the Steam most-played list. Team Fortress 2 has stolen the crown. That means that overnight, TF2 has leapt from a top ten position to the very top, gaining tens of thousands of players in the process
It’s a resounding indication of the success of TF2′s move to free-to-play. Counter-Strike is routinely the most played game on Steam, often boasting twice the number of players of its nearest rivals. For a four-year-old online shooter to suddenly leapfrog the Counter-Strike is a big deal.

Team Fortress 2 already had a big player-base before it went free-to-play, and it might have been fair to assume that everyone who wanted to play the game already owned it, especially given the incredibly low prices it’s been sold for in some of Valve’s Steam sales, and the regular free weekends that were thrown after every major update. In practice, removing the barrier of entry completely has had an impressive effect.
Does this mean Valve will be making more of their catalogue free? Speaking to Develop, Team Fortress 2 lead Robin Walker said “with just the data from a single product, it seems dangerous to assume that it would be true for all our products.”
“The data we got back from the Mann-conomy Update leads us to believe that TF2 would be more successful as a completely free product,” he said. “Either way, we’ll know a heck of a lot more in a couple of months, and that’s the kind of thing that gets us excited around the office.”
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/24/t...el=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

Euro Gamer said:
Team Fortress 2 has dislodged perennial chart hog Counter-Strike from the top of Steam's most-played list.
As noted by PC Gamer, the announcement earlier today that Valve's team-based shooter has gone free-to-play sent the game rocketing from the lower reaches of the top 10 to the number one spot, which Counter-Strike has owned since time immemorial.
It seems, for today at least, the move to a microtransaction-supported business model has won the game tens of thousands of new users.
At the time of writing 69,962 users were playing Team Fortress 2, compared to 54,754 on Counter-Strike.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-24-team-fortress-2-unseats-counter-strike

o.o

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
So far the game's quite interesting. I've been playing of a few select servers i like and have ran into only 2 cheaters which were disposed quickly. Also i guess it's because of the new player base but it's way to easy to pwn at this, or it could be that i'm just a cheezer with pyro and spy

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
There are a lot of skilled players out there.. But I only play on a 24/7 2Fort server. Maybe you can easily kill people as the others are new players as well. I've been playing for years and I'm amazed how skilled some people can be while others are mere unfair players who keep spamming sickies near the spawn (battlements) of the 2fort map contantly.

The pyro class is very easy to play with, but the spy really needs some skills to get proper kills.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
There are a lot of skilled players out there.. But I only play on a 24/7 2Fort server. Maybe you can easily kill people as the others are new players as well. I've been playing for years and I'm amazed how skilled some people can be while others are mere unfair players who keep spamming sickies near the spawn (battlements) of the 2fort map contantly.

The pyro class is very easy to play with, but the spy really needs some skills to get proper kills.
Well the servers i mostly play on are not map exclusive but most of the time the server is spinning badlands so it's easy to cheeze with a pyro. With Spy i'm spotty, sometimes i get 6-7 kills in one life and sometimes i get pwned by pyros or soliders the second i get near them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom