Team Fortress 2 is now free.... forever!

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you've waited this long to finally play a game of Team Fortress 2, now may be the best time. Or at least the cheapest, as Valve is giving Team Fortress 2 away for free—forever—with the team-based first-person shooter now solely supported by microtransactions.

Valve's Robin Walker tells Develop that Team Fortress 2 won't fund its continuing development with advertising or subscription fees, just the things players spend their real-world money on right now (hats, new weapons, crate keys and other virtual goods). Walker says that free drops of in-game loot will continue as it has, now that the game is free to play, as will the sharing of profits with community members who create content for TF2.

One of the bigger benefits to Valve of TF2 going F2P is attracting more people to Steam, the developer's digital distribution and community service. And more players means more people willing to invest in items from the game's Mann Company store, more people willing to put cash in their Steam Wallet and spend elsewhere.

While other games in Valve's catalog have in-game stores, like Portal 2, Walker downplays the notion that other games from the developer will adopt a free to play model.

So, who's finally jumping in? We could use a few more Medics.

Update: The official Team Fortress 2 site lays out some of the changes in store for the transition to free to play. Perhaps the most notable change is the distinction between Free and Premium accounts. A Premium account, according to Valve's FAQ, is for anyone who has ever spent money on Team Fortress 2, whether it was an initial purchase or buying something from the in-game Mann Co. store.

Premium account holders have benefits that Free accounts don't, like larger backpacks, access to all crafting blueprints, the option to wear rare and cosmetic items, and the ability to give items as gifts. More at TeamFortress.com.
http://kotaku.com/5815052/team-fortress-2-is-now-free-free-forever

Super elite
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Lol its free already?

Wow I know how they sell it for free just because people already spend that game in a highest price its a total waste of money.

Last edited:
brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
[video=youtube;Rmzii2u5GME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmzii2u5GME[/video]

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Never a dull moment with Valve. They know how to run the game market.

Super elite
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
o_O a million people paid up to a whole cash from it. TF2 is the legend!

OVER a thousand million dollars worth, CASH.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
[video=youtube;36lSzUMBJnc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36lSzUMBJnc[/video]

One of our own Forum Members even got his cinematic debut.

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
People who bought the game should receive compensation...

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
let me jump in this game, is it compatible with an xbox 360 controller ::D:D:D:D

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
WHAAT 10GB GAME?!?!?! what the heck man what is this game im confused?

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I'm ashamed to say I've never even played Team Fortress 2....Hell I've never played a Zelda game o_O I got a PS1 when I was young instead of a N64 lol. Went from PS1, til PS2 came, then had that til Xbox360 came out, then 4 months ago I got a nice Gaming PC :D TIME TO DOWNLOAD WITH MY 35Mbps INTEHNETZ

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I had fun playing TF2 in the past. Gettin' it.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Nice! Now i get to enjoy TF2 and Arma II for free ... what more could i ask for

Force Pit Member
Best answers
That is all nice and good, but we should at least be able to exchange the game for some other game

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why is everyone being so ******* greedy? What's the compensation for buying TF2?

You got to play it for the last ******* x amount of years it's been out. That's your compensation. AND you get a free hat.

Jesus christ.

I think I may just want to work for Valve later in life. For reals. They are single handedly the best video game marketers I've seen to date, and their style of going about things lines up exactly how I like, snarky, humorous, but professional all at the same time.

Super elite
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Wow I see 10 x 80 + 6 + 2 = 862 servers are online. Like how many people loves playing TF2 like really TF2 is the legend.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom