Swooping - Must it be a double key tap?

Best answers
yes I know what you mean, Im not saying Im having troubles with that
actually I think its a nice cool and original way to swoop

IN GENERAL SPEAKING it would be more comfterble to click 2 different keys to preform X action when needed to be preformed REALLY REALLY FAST instead of double clicking/tapping the same key or set of keys

for most users who play esf , they already know the way and are used to it, but for others... ....

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
how abut adding in esf 1.3 a soop lock :\ i think it'il bee kool

Best answers
no, they shouldnt, its a very bad idea
if swoop is locked it will drain ur ki extremly fast and wont allow to preform any beams/ki attacks
swooping all the time is a horrible idea, although ppl already swoop most of the time
but locking it is a bad idea nope

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, I agree with him, no swoop lock, but it depends how you put it...
Well putting on this swoop lock, do you mean, making your guy swoop even while a key isn't held down or just while it's held down?

It can be a option, but then it should only be locked if you hold in the certain key.

Best answers
SA_Gohan said:
I kinda like that shift w idea. Too many times have I needed to swoop at the exact time I needed I double tapped only to get nothing ><;
I think this could be a good way of countering the random unresponsiveness of the game.
Yeah I feel the same way, the shift+w would make the game pretty sick, since Im new to it.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you add that than please keep the doubletap in >.>

Shift is a very ussefull key since its close by. And to have it for swoop initialisation would be a waaste of a fast reachable key >.>

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well you can write a script that swoops when you press *insert button*+ movement keys. double tap swooping would be still possible.

I've just written one for fun^^ (works pretty good)

Best answers
Nyphur said:
I've been playing 1.2.3 for a while now (previously played a few years ago, just before it came out) and while most of it is good, one thing really gets to me. I am not good at double-tapping keys. It's fuggly, counter-intuitive and sometimes very difficult to pull off when you need it most as it's all too easy to try it too fast and not let go of the key enough or not hit it fast enough.

Is there a command for swooping in each direction so I can bind it to a key or is it hard coded that we have to double-tap the key?
i'm a lueser:devgrin: :devgrin: :devgrin: :warning: :p :\ O_O :cry:

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Heh, Goku23. Didn't think that was really needed as your first post :p, anyway. I've been thinking about it, and honestly I have no idea what would be handy to actually use in Earth Special Forces to swoop. The swoop system in v1.1 was nice, but rather annoying (sometimes) due it didn't always wanted to swoop. Because you mostly had to be in the target of your opponent.

The shift key thought is a key I barely use. Of course, only in Earth Special Forces. Honestly, the double tap is great for swooping, yet sometimes annoying that it won't respond at all. Especially when you are lagging. In my opinion, holding a key with the combination of the arrow keys (which are W,S,A,D for mostly every one) is the best solution in my opinion. As I've seen mentioned many times above.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, maybe while holding down a directional key, just press shift and then he will swoop or keep it as it is, or have both where you can enable them from the menu.

Best answers
Nice concept of using shift for swooping, but it should be tested a lot. For some reason I can't help but think it would still cause a lot of keyjams at the worst possible moments... I also have teleport on Shift atm.. that'll put a lot of stress on my pinky if i relocate it to let's say Ctrl :(

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
that'll put a lot of stress on my pinky
If i use my pink to much, it simple hurts in time >_<

Force Pit Member
Best answers
well the shift + movement for swoop is interesting, but still has some issues. It would be impossible to swoop downward (ctrl) because your pinky is holding onto shift the whole time, and I have to admit ... constantly holding shift to swoop does get tiresome.

Another idea would be a swoop toggle button, that turns swooping on and off to make it easier.

Or, swooping is always on by default, and to run at a normal pace... you hold the shift key.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Once in a server someone told me a bunch of console commands that made my keys respond better and reduced lag. I reinstalled ESF and forgot what they were, anyone know any console commands that would do this?

Best answers
kam! said:
well you can write a script that swoops when you press *insert button*+ movement keys. double tap swooping would be still possible.

I've just written one for fun^^ (works pretty good)
I did the same thing awhile back when there was some discussion like this. I then asked the community if I should release it for the public. Just a bunch of ways to swoop...my personal favorite was when holding basic melee you swoop...when not it functions normally. The community decided to vote in favor of not releasing it so it was never seen. The funny thing is I have had plenty of "private" requests for the script...Though I refused because I don't believe in giving to a few and with-holding from the rest.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
donnierisk said:
Yeah, I agree with him, no swoop lock, but it depends how you put it...
Well putting on this swoop lock, do you mean, making your guy swoop even while a key isn't held down or just while it's held down?

It can be a option, but then it should only be locked if you hold in the certain key.
this is as simple as it gets : u bind a key in the option and when u feel like it u press it and anywhere where u push u swoop ( i did NOT mean permament lock) just a lock key ! caps for preferince , u press agin if u do not like to swoop anymore , i , for mysleft woud wont a lock key since i miss the keys sometimes and screwup and i hear "hahahj b00n "

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I did the same thing awhile back when there was some discussion like this. I then asked the community if I should release it for the public. Just a bunch of ways to swoop
I don't think the moderators would allow such thing to be released on the forums. Since i know some people who highly dislike the scripters, including me.

Best answers
FF|Skyrider said:
I don't think the moderators would allow such thing to be released on the forums. Since i know some people who highly dislike the scripters, including me.
Skyrider drop the attitude. And the moderators to my knowledge had no problem with the thread....unlike you I imagine they realized that everyone has different opinions and there is nothing wrong with voicing yours in a RESPECTFUL manner.

Thats wonderful you know people who dislike scripters....that has little to do with this conversation. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean that anyone who doesn't agree with you is wrong. Though I will say your dislike of scripts seems to go beyond most peoples and into the realm of the irrational.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can double tap fine with out any problems, however some other keyboards I use I find not to be so responsive to it. Using shift for swoopnig though does sound pretty good to me though & it would also be easier for newbs to understand how to paly the game aswell.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
1.2 was designed for noobs. 1.3 should be designed for the rest of us. If you find that you're unable to swoop for some reason, teleport. Simple as that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom