Swooping - Must it be a double key tap?

Best answers
I've been playing 1.2.3 for a while now (previously played a few years ago, just before it came out) and while most of it is good, one thing really gets to me. I am not good at double-tapping keys. It's fuggly, counter-intuitive and sometimes very difficult to pull off when you need it most as it's all too easy to try it too fast and not let go of the key enough or not hit it fast enough.

Is there a command for swooping in each direction so I can bind it to a key or is it hard coded that we have to double-tap the key?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There is a swoop script in which you can swoop by pressing one button, but those are frowned upon.

Best answers
Sub said:
There is a swoop script in which you can swoop by pressing one button, but those are frowned upon.
Yeah, I just made one to test if it could be done. It's not perfect and I'm better off double-tappping in-game really so I won't use it. I'm looking for something where I can hold down W to move forward but Shift+W to swoop forward.

Perhaps in 1.3? (which will never be released :D)

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As far as i know 1.3 will also have doubletaping.

But the first swoop is gona be possible the same as in 1.1 (atleast thats what the design docs say)

Best answers
Grega said:

But the first swoop is gona be possible the same as in 1.1 (atleast thats what the design docs say)
You mean the one where you can hold down left click with the melee weapon and if you're not in melee range of someone, it swoops forward? I suppose that'd help.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I kinda like that shift w idea. Too many times have I needed to swoop at the exact time I needed I double tapped only to get nothing ><;
I think this could be a good way of countering the random unresponsiveness of the game.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Shift - W sounds like a good idea. Ive never been much a fan of the whole doubletapping thing.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I already use shift. Zeo says no to using shift for anything other than turbo.

Best answers
Zeonix said:
I already use shift. Zeo says no to using shift for anything other than turbo.
I use it for block. But we should be able to assign swooping as commands and not have to double-tap.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Whats wrong with double tap? If it responded just a bit faster, it'd be almost perfect.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Even if double tap was responsive, its not that great for a fast paced game. I think players would move so much faster and fluid if all you had to do to swoop was hold a swoop key (shift). Then players could chain swoop unbelievably fast with no lock ups. Regular movement would still be in the game if you didnt hold down the swoop key.

Adding a swoop key (shift) could also allow diagonal swoops, like holding forward + the right strafe key at the same time.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've been saying this for a long time. Maybe ESf could have an option where if you want swoop as a double tap you can or if you want it as a single button you can.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Whats really the difference? Do you think it'd be 10 times easier to chain swoop or something? Would you swoop every which way and say combat is now faster? All you'd be doing is wasting ki and setting yourself up for death. Just use the 1 key swoop script like so many other people. My keyboard sucks balls and I still use the double tap. I don't see what could be so hard about tapping twice for you guys.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well the fact that it doesn't work 100% of the time for us kinda makes it annoying, and I'm sure you've noticed this at least a couple of times when you've played. And because we're not as "good" as you are, its frustrating to be killed or miss an opportunity (both of which happen frequently enough on their own) because of hardware failure =/

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Who said anything about being good? You don't need to be a pro to learn how to double tap correctly. Yeah, sometimes it fails but the majority of the time it doesn't. My keyboard is falling apart and my mouse spins around in circles once every few minutes. Just cope with it or buy a new keyboard.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Grega said:

Wrong, they said that double tapping is a problem so they will probably take it out. Unless they can't find anything better.

Sexy Sub said:
Since when? o.0

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Meh, as said many times. Those who use swoop scripts are simple lazy and lame, besides. Double tap aint that bad, it's just bad when your computer lags. Like mine, so it doesn't always responds.

Best answers
it would be better if we like press CTRL or ALT or someth other random KEY and then also press the arrow
you see, its easy to press 2 keys at the same time, its hard pressing twice the same key at the same time!!!

BUT this is useless (maybe?) .. cause lol in 1.3 they already make is so u can swoop by pressing the mouse button and arrow, I think
like in 1.1

BUT#2 if its just ONLY LIKE 1.1 then u can swoop using mouse button only to forward direction which sux cause u cant USE SWOOP IN A COMFTRBLE WAY as supposed to be

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have no trouble with double-tapping for swoop, though it does on rare occasions not work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom