Super Smash Bro BRAWL: Game AND Defective thread!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

Wow, what a direct "Super Saiyan" rip! God, I hate Sonic and whoever created it. :\ Gah, it's just so ... ridiculous, the level the idea was stolen. Even the style, pose & anatomy is all similar to Toriyama's work. Pff.

However, I'd still play this game because it may bring back a certain nostalgic feeling from playing the previous game- I did enjoy that one. I don't recall it having Sonic in it either.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Get over DBZ Vegeta.

I just unlocked Solid Snake. I was never a fan of Metal Gear, but Solid Snake is pure awesome in this game so far.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

Wow, what a direct "Super Saiyan" rip! God, I hate Sonic and whoever created it. :\ Gah, it's just so ... ridiculous, the level the idea was stolen. Even the style, pose & anatomy is all similar to Toriyama's work. Pff.

However, I'd still play this game because it may bring back a certain nostalgic feeling from playing the previous game- I did enjoy that one. I don't recall it having Sonic in it either.
If you have never played the older Sonic games, I could probably understand why you feel this way.

Please do not use fanart to judge Sonic's super form. Many fans, and even myself, have the tendency to give him a super saiyan-esque feel. Hell the newer games give him auras and lightning.

Many people think Super Sonic is a aesthetic homage to the idea of a Super Saiyan, rather than a rip. Upwards, spiky, gold hair/fur with an aura. The uses and abilities of both forms have entirely different contexts.

Yuji Naka, one of the earlier Sonic programmers, was asked about this similarity.

Mag: Have you recieved comments from Akira Toriyama about Super Sonic? Why can he transform almost automatically?
Naka: Oh…(smile) we didn't recieve comments from him. And if Sonic got this power, it's a question of mastery.
Chances are Super Sonic is a homage to DBZ. But if I recall, didn't you say Toriyama's work inspired many others? From the sound of it, you have limited knowledge of Sonic the Hedgehog and base this post on the image of Super Sonic.

Sonic and Snake are the two 3rd party newcomers to Brawl, so yeah they weren't in Melee.

Even the style, pose & anatomy is all similar to Toriyama's work. Pff.
I don't get what you mean my this at all. Standing with your fist out is a generic "powah up" and "I'm pissed off". There is no trademark style to the pose (sans the screaming).

No aura. No yelling. No ki blasts. No muscles. Not godly strength. Limited to the amount of rings the player gets. And can (in the screenshot and brawl) only hurt people by slamming into them.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Many people think Super Sonic is a aesthetic homage to the idea of a Super Saiyan, rather than a rip.
Most people think that because it is. Super Sonic was always an homage to dragon ball z. It's the whole point behind Super Sonic in the first place. You do this whole ordeal that takes skill and experience to pull off and in the end you are able to transform and kick serious ass.

But really the classic Super Sonic when it was first made is a lot different from the original idea of the Super Saiyan. Sonic isnt super pissed off when he goes Super. He's just really calm.

But I think we are forgetting the main issue.. Sonic can ****ing out run the F-Zero cars on Big Blue. Holy ****!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Most people think that because it is. Super Sonic was always an homage to dragon ball z. It's the whole point behind Super Sonic in the first place. You do this whole ordeal that takes skill and experience to pull off and in the end you are able to transform and kick serious ass.

But really the classic Super Sonic when it was first made is a lot different from the original idea of the Super Saiyan. Sonic isnt super pissed off when he goes Super. He's just really calm.
Yeah I don't disagree that Super Saiyans had an effect on Super Sonic, but adding on to what you said, you only get to play as Super Sonic until the end of the game and in the older ones, once you got the 7 chaos emeralds. This contrasts DBZ where they transform constantly and effortlessly.

But I think we are forgetting the main issue.. Sonic can ****ing out run the F-Zero cars on Big Blue. Holy ****!
Only with a bunny hood sadly =(. He is still faster than Captain Falcon, so I am happy. Really wish he had a meteor smash/spike though.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Only with a bunny hood sadly =(. He is still faster than Captain Falcon, so I am happy. Really wish he had a meteor smash/spike though.
Sonic has plenty of finishers but they aren't his typical smashes so most people over look them.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I would consider a certain style and concept used as a whole similar to Dragonball homage; a masterful story, and something done with a broad mind, perhaps 10-12 years later, which offers a similar feel & energy--not one concept pulled directly from one of Dragonball's aspects identically, and used as a "power-up" in a videogame. The games of Sonic, as I recall, were enjoyable- I never enjoyed the characters. And to answer your suggesting I'm an ignorant, biased fan....no, I do not remember the Sonic series very well. I did say many things we grew up on during the '90s in America may've in some way been inspired by some of Toriyama's work, sure, but I'm not so sure that's relevant to my actual point. I have seen clips from the cartoon of Sonic when he transforms; the vibes, atmospheres, bystanders' reactions, and transformation effects all felt rather very similar to how Goku became a Super Saiyan. Super Sonic's image in-game, in-show & in fan-art is all relatively similar; it resembles a Super Saiyan from Dragonball. I never disputed the games weren't fun--didn't even tap at that, I never disputed the ideas sucked, I never even intended to provoke argument.

Someone's always gotta jump at the opportunity to prove someone else wrong, right? Hell, you're pretty passionate about Sonic, so I'll leave it alone. Forgive me though, I am an ignorant bastard, for not knowing the difference between a "stolen idea", and "paying homage", and how the film/animation industry differs from the game industry. Really, it must all be so blurry to me. :D C'mon bud, you know passion for something, and anger, can sometimes guide one's actions. Let's not get too involved in this. Ignore me next time? :O

Something tells me Hibiki's never quite experienced passion for something. At least I can safely say Chakra and I float together on this one.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you don't want people to counter then don't say one line riffs on things. I don't know what you were expecting going off on super sonic while everyone else was talking about brawl.

As for Sonic Finishers he doesn't really have an Ike style traditional finisher where you hit the guy at x percent and hes done. Sonic is all follow ups and damage over time. It's pretty easy to just knock a guy up in the air and combo his ass until hes dead. Sonic can do a lot of unique things that everyone else can't that really give him a leg up.

For example while running at top speed you can cancel the run into an up smash while still keeping some momentum. Thus you can charge infront of a guy, release as you hit him, knock him up and follow with back air smashes for an easy win.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I would consider a certain style and concept used as a whole similar to Dragonball homage, a masterful story, and something done with a broad mind, perhaps 10-12 years later, which offers a similar feel & energy--not one concept pulled directly from one of Dragonball's aspects identically, and used as a "power-up" in a videogame. The games of Sonic, as I recall, were enjoyable- I never enjoyed the characters. And to answer your suggesting I'm an ignorant, biased fan....no, I do not remember the Sonic series very well. I did say many things we grew up on during the '90s in America may've in some way been inspired by some of Toriyama's work, sure, but I'm not so sure that's relevant to my actual point. I have seen clips from the cartoon of Sonic when he transforms; the vibes, atmospheres, bystanders' reactions, and transformation effects all felt rather very similar to how Goku became a Super Saiyan. Super Sonic's image in-game, in-show & in fan-art is all relatively similar; it resembles a Super Saiyan from Dragonball. I never disputed the games weren't fun--didn't even tap at that, I never disputed the ideas sucked, I never even intended to provoke argument.

Someone's always gotta jump at the opportunity to prove someone else wrong, right? Hell, you're pretty passionate about Sonic, so I'll leave it alone. Forgive me though, I am an ignorant bastard, for not knowing the difference between a "stolen idea", and "paying homage", and how the film/animation industry differs from the game industry. Really, it must all be so blurry to me. :D C'mon bud, you know passion for something, and anger, can sometimes guide one's actions. Let's not get too involved in this. Ignore me next time? :O
I'm not angry o_O. I also wasn't implying that you were an "ignorant bastard". From the way you typed, it sounded like you didn't play too many Sonic games (you called him an "it", so I thought you played like 2 games). So then I thought "Okay, he doesn't know that much about Sonic, but knows a lot about DBZ. Understandable, so let me clear up some things,"

It's obvious that I am a Sonic fan, but the reason I bothered with pictures and what not is that I have a pet peeve when people call Super Sonic it a "rip off". So of course if I see someone bashing it, I'm going to say something. Wouldn't you do the same if someone said "Vegeta's a pissy emo" or something ridiculously off-the wall like that?

I never disputed the games weren't fun--didn't even tap at that, I never disputed the ideas sucked, I never even intended to provoke argument.
I never brought up whether the games were fun or if the ideas were bad either. The only thing I was trying to prove was that Super Sonic is not a dastardly robbery of the Super Saiyan. The tone of my post was intended as a "umm...No?" post, not a "OMG YOU KNOW NOTHING OF SONIC" post.

Hibiki said:
As for Sonic Finishers he doesn't really have an Ike style traditional finisher where you hit the guy at x percent and hes done. Sonic is all follow ups and damage over time. It's pretty easy to just knock a guy up in the air and combo his ass until hes dead. Sonic can do a lot of unique things that everyone else can't that really give him a leg up.

For example while running at top speed you can cancel the run into an up smash while still keeping some momentum. Thus you can charge infront of a guy, release as you hit him, knock him up and follow with back air smashes for an easy win.
That is why I can't wait to play as him =D. His Up-B is perfect for following combos and pursuit attacks. I don't need a powerhouse, but I just love meteor smashes. I need to get a Wii so I can play yall :(.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I even heard the online functions sucked, is this true?
Depends on what you consider 'teh suck'.

You can brawl against random people or friends, from all over the world.

There's no voice chat, but you can set four different taunts, each with a custom text message that appears over your character's head.

You can even play the story mode co-op online, I think, but I'm not sure. I am sure that you can do it locally, though.

The main problems they're having right now is because everyone wants to play online, Nintendo's servers are overloaded. Give it some time and Nintendo will have things running smoothly again.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That video is private and I cannot view it unless I am aloud to do so.

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That video is private and I cannot view it unless I am aloud to do so.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Apparently, to get Sonic you have to beat the Subspace Emissary, Clear Classic Mode with 10 Characters or 300 matches.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That isn't enough, Sonic deserves more to be unlocked, simply because I am a Sonic fanboy and I see him superior to everybody else in the game.

/joke

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
this is all you need to see to understand how bad-ass sonic is. watch it.

the only reason im now getting a Wii is to get smash brothers. and the only reason im getting smash brothers is because sonic is in it. hes been my favorite video game character since the first time i picked up a game remote.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So after just unlocking Sonic, I have mixed feelings. While he is extremely awesome, it seems that every move he has is the same, other then up and b which is his high jump.

Whats everyones favorite character? So far, my favorite character is Link followed by Sonic.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So after just unlocking Sonic, I have mixed feelings. While he is extremely awesome, it seems that every move he has is the same, other then up and b which is his high jump.

Whats everyones favorite character? So far, my favorite character is Link followed by Sonic.
That was one thing that bothered me about Sonic's specials. 3 of them involve him curling up in a ball. While this is appropriate, his side b and down b seem redundant.

How does Pit play? I really want to try him out.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He has more moves that weren't used, moves that could be taken from Sonic Adventure and Advance, as well as Battle.

I haven't played it yet, but I am guessing that Link will be my favorite character again, considering that he was my favorite in the last two games. He couldn't have changed that much performance wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom