Super Android 17 [WIP]

Best answers
they did cell shading without cell shading? awsome,

but hmm D2 tried it once for DBz hood and i t worked as well with UT2K4 engine.
soo the point is.... i gotta go and grab a snack xD

Discord Member
Best answers
Uhm.............half life's engine is outdated compared to UT2004 ;)

Best answers
shadowcast said:
Uhm.............half life's engine is outdated compared to UT2004 ;)
no sh**t!??? Are you serious??!! it cant be!!! xD

im thinking about skining it in the realistic style, still i gotta practice in this pool, couse its alot tougher then cell shading.

ESF Head Team Mapper
πŸ‘‘ Administrator
🌠 Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
he was talking about skinned "cellshading" which is very possible.
Combined with outlined models it could look kind of cool I guess.
But then again, Im too lazy to try that out :p

2D/3D Artist
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll spare the truble from you DJ hehe, basicly I tried that too, but you cant get 100% illumination, and your model will still get ugly "realistic" shading, it wont work at all.

The idea is cool but if you cant get a full lighted map (which me and kong tried a few times and that didnt work right) it wont look good.

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
the closest thing i can think of, (and i only know that it works in HLMV, never tested it ingame) is this.

duplicate the model and give it a slight push/fatboy command, hide this duplicate for now.

now comes the part that prettymuch destroys the model lol, you have to cut out the areas that need different colors. meaning a pretty monster increase in polycount.

now block out the colors using seperate 128x128 single color materials for each different color. these will later be changed to chrome in HLMV, this gives a "100% illumination" effect to it, the problem is its only solid colors, ala no details.

this is where that duplicate comes in, seeing as you have no need for the chopped up model to skin details on (and probly screwed the skinmaps up anyways) you will be texturing the details onto this section.

now just texture all the details on using SOLID black lines, use the LARGEST texture size HL is compatible with to get the least amount of pixellation as possible, use alpha-transparencies to get rid of everything but the black lines

if done right you should have the fullbright colored mesh underneath the detailed model, .

you could use that same duplicate again, but inverted and w/ a black texture to give you a black outline, but that would be tripling the polycount =/. and that kinda ruins the ingame aspect of it.

----
if you didnt understand any of that, too bad lol. it made sense in my head and its been awhile since ive actualy done it.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Too bad it isnt possible to get a illuminated lightmap, guess we'll just have to do with anime-realistic skinning for now..

My try, still a bit heavily wip-ish, nothing much..(yet)...
btw does hl1 support alphamaps? Otherwise that pantsrip will have to be modeled in

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
it done kinda like nutzzeh said,ms3d, fatboy, flip faces and add a black 64x64map to it, you get automaticly a black outline, though i gues its an addon, so it must has been modified somehow, dunno if that possible but looks to me like that, there is a lightmap added i gues. dunno

looks nice indeed, though this thread may about android 17 ? =P

doesn seem to bad shady!

Discord Member
Best answers
sorry if i got offtopic but the creator of that gohan is planning on releasing these models as a pack and about the fatboy then coloring it black etc.....won't work to many polies i tried.........although it looks nice
And yeah nice skin everybody............ :idea:but im just wondering wouldn't it be possible to skin it to look like cellshading...............like you do with realistic skins but just imitating cell shading.............it would look nice to:]

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
heres a small demo of what i was talking about earlier,

http://rapidshare.de/files/28396024/test2.mdl.html

dont take the detail quality as an idea of the limits of this method. i drew the details in about 30 seconds. I just wanted to show you that you could cast solid colors onto a mesh, and have black line details drawn over it with alpha transparencies.

so far it seems to work, but again, i havent tested this ingame

2D/3D Artist
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
And yeah nice skin everybody............ but im just wondering wouldn't it be possible to skin it to look like cellshading...............like you do with realistic skins but just imitating cell shading.............it would look nice to
No it wont, think about it, having shading skinned on but when you combine that with the natural shading of the game (as you can see in that gohan picture) it comes up really iffy... =/

The outlines are just a cool trick =P but some like it ^_^

Hey Nuttzy thats a pretty cool trick too!
Details will be way too sharp but I guess thats the best idea out there...humm I'll have to try that out sometime.

Ontopic:
Cool start Shadeh! make the eyes a little nerrower and you're good :smile:

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, there's no lighting on the model in hlmv, i'll take a look ingame in a min (replace a map model) sometimes when i compile model when it goes ingame its not effected by lightsource at all... i have no idea why though, its also slightly darker though... but there must be a way of doing it because i seem to get it alot with my models.
heh, works ingame:

interesting...

Discord Member
Best answers
When i import it in milkshape it looks all black o_O
And that gohan model is only outlined ;)

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
shadowcast said:
When i import it in milkshape it looks all black o_O
And that gohan model is only outlined ;)

thats because it has backfaces enabled by default, disable this and the model should display properly

Discord Member
Best answers
Did but anyways now i just got myself 3dsmax 7............need some tuts...........im all confused........MS3d is simpler.................anyways back on topic i did disable backfaces....

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
._. uhm, after ms3d i always recommend LWO, like Eclipse and me and broli as tweak did that, quit handier after ms3d then 3dsm,

although i still opened the model in hlmv and its all black in there ._.

2D/3D Artist
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
oO very interesting actually...
Hey Nuttzy I kind of forgot how I should make alphamaps...I mean, how I should preper them in photoshop =o something with...black background and stuff =s heh
If it does work like I think then it might be worth releasing cell shaded skins.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
if halflife uses alpha maps as seperate texture sheets, then make the alpha as a grayscale image.

if it handles them as 32bit image files, then you will want to make a new layer mask on whichever part your gonna alpha, and do the grayscale there. then output to either .tga or .png

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
unfortunately gir, half life doesnt use either of those methods, it just picks 1 certain color out of the pallette to make invisible.

just make sure the color of the stuff you want to be invisible is the LAST color on your palette.

then just set that material to transparent inside HLMV and it should work just fine. if not you did the color tables wrong, (and these things are a bit *****y sometimes)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom