Stupidest Moment in DBZ

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This post is for 2 reasons--more misconceptions, and just to talk about what I think are the stupidest points of DBZ, which I haven't done yet!

Someone said 'Why hasn't Roshi died,' that is because he is Immortal to aging. (although he does look old as hell.) He drank from the Fountain of Youth in DB, (or, they mention it rather), so he doesn't age. When he drank it, he was an old man. It didn't make him young but it prevented him from growing older. So he won't ever die of old age.

As for what I actually think are the stupidest of all DBZ episodes.. Well, let's see. Cell continually talked about his regenerative ability from Piccolo. Cell says, 'I can regenerate as long as my core is intact.' This is a plot hole of a sort--Piccolo's regeneration can only be used if his HEAD is intact. Cell has his head completely blown off, TWICE.. yet he is able to regenerate. If he got the power from Piccolo, he should've died, because that power had limits. That was stupid.

People say that the Boss's regeneration in general is stupid. Well, I agree and disagree. Yes, it's repetitive that they can't really be damaged.. But it was necessary, because during the show, the heroes get infinitely more powerful, but to explain that they're still powerful, but the enemies still pose a threat, regeneration must be added. Think of Cell and Buu, if they had no power to regenerate. Cell would've been pretty much defeated by Vejita's Final Flash, without regenerative ability. Buu would've been EXTREMELY easy to defeat, since his body was just soft rubber. Almost everybody damages his Body. Vejita blows a hole in Mr. Buu's stomach, then blows half of KidBuu's body off, repeatedly. SSJ3 Goku does the same.. Don't even talk about Gotenks.. the horribly disfigured Buu..he cuts him in half..into tiny bits..

Anyway, as I said--Regeneration is the only solution that can happen, to explain that the Heroes are still as powerful as they were. It's showing that raw power isn't everything. Yes it's lame, but it's required for an ever-more-powerful-scale battle.

DBZ was supposed to end after the Furiza saga, but people loved it so much they demanded more. Toriyama, flattered with the success of his anime, agreed, and created the Android/Cell saga. This was even more successful, but he definitely wanted to end it, after that. He initially said it would be the last, but he could an outpowering of hate/fan mail -begging/demanding/death-threats- to continue it. So he did, begrudgingly. He tried to make the Buu saga preposterous, even silly, but so fans could still appreciate it.

He EXPECTED the Buu saga to be only mediocrely successful, if at all.. but it backfired. People loved it so much, that it started to anger Toriyama. He said he was ending it, period, leave me alone, Thank you.

People couldn't accept this, the hate/fanmail started again, and he kept making personal appearances saying there would never be more DBZ, but thank you for watching..

A company, (try to guess which) proposed that he lease the rights to the story to another company to make more, if he wasn't willing. Toriyama, frustrated by his desire to not make any more DBZ, and his wanting the fan/hatemail to stop, agreed.

Thus DragonBallGT was born.
You will hear some people claim that GT is next in the story of the DragonBall-DragonBallZ story. This isn't true. GT is nothing more then animated FANFICTION. It is someone who created a story and animators made it.

I'd just like to make it clear that DragonBallGT was -NOT MADE- by Akira Toriyama.

Most of the hard-core fans of DB and DBZ, (as in, about 99% of them) HATED GT, because of several reasons--
1. The animation isn't up to par with DBZ.
2. DBZ ended with Gohan being a scholar, and this is how GT continued. Gohan was supremely popular in Japan, and him not fighting anymore was a very big dissapoint.
3. They changed the character of Vejita, into being someone who is desperate and would do anything for power. In GT, he 'cheats' to acquire SSJ4, by using a device Bulma creates. This is not the character of Vejita from DBZ.
4. Many people didn't like SSJ3 to begin with, and they found SSJ4 even more appalling, and preposterously stupid.
5. Too much focus on Fusion, rather then the individual achievements of Goku and Vejita.

Someone might disagree with me, that Vejita is the kind of character who would cheat for power. Well, this is a common misconception, and it is the American Dub's fault. They failed to explain this.

In DBZ (both versions, of course) Vejita is possessed by the wizard Babidi, and becomes Majin Vejita.

Again, in both versions, Vejita claims to have let himself be possessed to gain the extra power.
Something the dub did NOT make clear, is that Goku found out he was -LYING-.

Vejita was extremely ashamed of the weakness in his heart, being possessed. He justified his weakness in being possessed by claiming he let himself become under Babidi's control.

Immediately after Vejita claims he let himself be controlled, Goku calls him a fool, then realizes what Vejita is doing. He's only saying that, to hide his weakness.

In the American Dub, Goku says, "Do you really believe what you're saying?" and this causes Bejita to go berserk.

In the real story, Goku says, "Not true--You're saying that to preserve your pride." Vejita then knows Goku doesn't believe him, and knows he was possessed because of weakness, not because of a desire for power.

Anyway, because the American version's dub isn't specific enough, people think that Vejita lost his pride in himself, just to beat Goku. This isn't true.

Vejita was just so ashamed that he became Majin, he lied to cover it up. Sneaky is better then weak, to him. Vejita always found other people helping him extremely offensive-he even hated sensu beans.

One other correction--
In the American Dub, they made it out to seem that Piccolo was afraid of fighting Kaioshin.
This isn't true.
In the true story, the only reason Piccolo refuses to fight Kaioshin, is because he thinks he knows who he really is--
Afterall, would you want to think about hurting or challenging the supreme authority of all of the universe, and afterlife? (Kami had knowledge of the Kai's existence, but not specifically the Supreme ones)

Piccolo wasn't afraid of Kaioshin, he was humbled, and didn't want to think about hurting him. Strength wise, Kaioshin and Piccolo were about evenly matched, with Kaioshin slightly more powerful.

Anyway, this post is MUCH too long..
See you later.

P.S. I think I'm developing carpal tunnel syndrome from typing too much. O_O

Orz

Best answers
SailorAlea said:
This post is for 2 reasons--more misconceptions, and just to talk about what I think are the stupidest points of DBZ, which I haven't done yet!

Someone said 'Why hasn't Roshi died,' that is because he is Immortal to aging. (although he does look old as hell.) He drank from the Fountain of Youth in DB, (or, they mention it rather), so he doesn't age. When he drank it, he was an old man. It didn't make him young but it prevented him from growing older. So he won't ever die of old age.
Heh, with Fountains of Youth in existence, why do Vegeta/Frieza
even need the Dragonballs? Still, DB was made before DBZ was
even a concept, so it's perfectly acceptable as a reason.

As for what I actually think are the stupidest of all DBZ episodes.. Well, let's see. Cell continually talked about his regenerative ability from Piccolo. Cell says, 'I can regenerate as long as my core is intact.' This is a plot hole of a sort--Piccolo's regeneration can only be used if his HEAD is intact. Cell has his head completely blown off, TWICE.. yet he is able to regenerate. If he got the power from Piccolo, he should've died, because that power had limits. That was stupid.
I noticed that myself. It also makes you wonder how his self-explosion
didn't destroy his head cell. Individual cells can't be that strong, not
even for the biodroid. It seemed like a rather contrived reason to
bring him back for a 'surprise' appearance and to get rid of Goku.

In fact, considering what you said about Toriyama's reluctance to continue after Frieza, I'm almost sure it WAS merely designed to get rid of Goku. Much like Goku died in Namek's explosion, so Toriyama tried to end the series by getting rid of the main character... and was forced to bring him back when the public demanded more.

People say that the Boss's regeneration in general is stupid. Well, I agree and disagree. Yes, it's repetitive that they can't really be damaged.. But it was necessary, because during the show, the heroes get infinitely more powerful, but to explain that they're still powerful, but the enemies still pose a threat, regeneration must be added. Think of Cell and Buu, if they had no power to regenerate. Cell would've been pretty much defeated by Vejita's Final Flash, without regenerative ability. Buu would've been EXTREMELY easy to defeat, since his body was just soft rubber. Almost everybody damages his Body. Vejita blows a hole in Mr. Buu's stomach, then blows half of KidBuu's body off, repeatedly. SSJ3 Goku does the same.. Don't even talk about Gotenks.. the horribly disfigured Buu..he cuts him in half..into tiny bits..
You're right, of course - we need to see that the heroes are capable of blowing things up. But the thing that makes it seem hollow to me is that it never happens to the heroes. Gohan never gets blown in half, Goku never loses a leg - in fact, the only person who ever gets broken into pieces is - who would have guessed it - Piccolo! What lucky coincidence!

Thus DragonBallGT was born.
You will hear some people claim that GT is next in the story of the DragonBall-DragonBallZ story. This isn't true. GT is nothing more then animated FANFICTION. It is someone who created a story and animators made it.
Ugghgh... fan fiction. I think it's a universal law that 99% of
fan fiction has to be mind-numbingly badly written. Of course, I'll
have to wait for it to air in Australia before I decide whether it
applies to DBGT too.

I'd just like to make it clear that DragonBallGT was -NOT MADE- by Akira Toriyama.

Most of the hard-core fans of DB and DBZ, (as in, about 99% of them) HATED GT, because of several reasons--
1. The animation isn't up to par with DBZ.
2. DBZ ended with Gohan being a scholar, and this is how GT continued. Gohan was supremely popular in Japan, and him not fighting anymore was a very big dissapoint.
The fact that Gohan even lost power and became a fairly normal person doesn't match up, because his Mystic ability is surely supposed to keep him at his most full potential - and somebody's power might decline, but their POTENTIAL never does. And yes, it's terrible what they did to him. He might have been intelligent, but they took it too far by turning him into the Amazing Librarian.

3. They changed the character of Vejita, into being someone who is desperate and would do anything for power. In GT, he 'cheats' to acquire SSJ4, by using a device Bulma creates. This is not the character of Vejita from DBZ.
Not the Vegeta from Cell/Buu saga, but the Frieza/Saiyan Saga Vegeta was pretty shifty. Note how he actually ran away twice - something the more 'evolved' Vegeta would never do...

4. Many people didn't like SSJ3 to begin with, and they found SSJ4 even more appalling, and preposterously stupid.
SSJ3 would have been much better if they ever explained how and why Goku got the ability. They may have explained more in the manga or Japanese series, but in the dubbed version all we know is "hey, look what I learned while I was dead!"

I also think that they shouldn't have surpassed the power of the Buu Saga. Nobody needed to be stronger than Kid Buu, or the Super Fused Buu - because none of the Z Fighters, not even SSJ3 Goku, were near Kid Buu on their own. Kid Buu even began to push back the Spirit Bomb, and would have done so if Dende's wish hadn't intervened.

Now they jump up to SSJ4 and completely skew up the power we know... Kid Buu was capable of crossing space and destroying entire solar systems, and anything past that is just pushing it. Cell was supposed to be incredibly strong, and at the end of the Buu Saga he was nothing but another lowly fighter. And everybody had SSJ2 - I wouldn't have been surprised if Tien had burst into SSJ2 and used Ultra Kikoho.

5. Too much focus on Fusion, rather then the individual achievements of Goku and Vejita.
Fusion was a weird conception to begin with. It was also oddly coincidental that Goku hears about this amazing fusion ability, it turns out the Kai's earrings can also fuse people, and hey, Buu can fuse with people too! Who'd have thought it!

Again, in both versions, Vejita claims to have let himself be possessed to gain the extra power.
Something the dub did NOT make clear, is that Goku found out he was -LYING-.
I had no idea. That makes me rethink Vegeta a little, because he's easily my least favourite character. The way he can just offer #18 up for absorption and then blame everyone else for Cell's resulting casualties is just symbolic of how stubbornly ignorant he can be... in the dubbed version, thinking back on Trunks' death, he thinks "This is all your fault, Kakarot!"

One other correction--
In the American Dub, they made it out to seem that Piccolo was afraid of fighting Kaioshin.
This isn't true.
In the true story, the only reason Piccolo refuses to fight Kaioshin, is because he thinks he knows who he really is--
Afterall, would you want to think about hurting or challenging the supreme authority of all of the universe, and afterlife? (Kami had knowledge of the Kai's existence, but not specifically the Supreme ones)

Piccolo wasn't afraid of Kaioshin, he was humbled, and didn't want to think about hurting him. Strength wise, Kaioshin and Piccolo were about evenly matched, with Kaioshin slightly more powerful.
The dub managed to make this further confusing with the resulting conversation between Piccolo and Goku:

Goku: "Why didn't you fight him? Is he really that powerful?"
Piccolo: "More powerful than you can possibly imagine."

P.S. I think I'm developing carpal tunnel syndrome from typing too much. O_O
You too? I usually wear wrist-splints, just in case.

Best answers
there are so many stupid parts in the Buu saga, but my main one is the fact that Uub even exists. The crushing of the earrings is a good part, it represents saiyin pride, one of the main themes in DBZ (i sound like an english teacher...)
also a stupid thing in DBZ is these damn regenerating people who are inconsistent! Why is it that cell can regenerate from a single brain cell, but piccolo dies after being hit by nappas blast (when nappa fired at little gohan and piccolo got in the way.)

Best answers
SailorAlea said:
Immediately after Vejita claims he let himself be controlled, Goku calls him a fool, then realizes what Vejita is doing. He's only saying that, to hide his weakness.

In the American Dub, Goku says, "Do you really believe what you're saying?" and this causes Bejita to go berserk.

In the real story, Goku says, "Not true--You're saying that to preserve your pride." Vejita then knows Goku doesn't believe him, and knows he was possessed because of weakness, not because of a desire for power.
"Do you really believe what you're saying?" Goku says that when Vegeta explains that he wanted to reawaken the evil in his heart, not when he said he wanted the power!
so Goku sees that Vegeta just wanted the strength coming with being possessed by Babidi!
it even makes more sense if Goku said the thing with Vegeta's pride!

and the stupidest moment in DBZ is, when Piccolo blew up the moon.... after that, the series had to end! how could the earth be without the moon!?!?!

Best answers
actualy destroying the moon was the kindest thing he could have done...

think of all thsoe tidlewaves caused by the moon he jsut prevented :laff:

Best answers
there would come up more natural disasters if the moon wasn't there! you would forget the tidlewaves very quickly...

Best answers
off-topic:Also the moon shilds the earth from space junk that would do sum damage to us if it actually hit

on-topic: another dumb thing is that it takes forever for people to train in the hperbolic time chamber, i mean trunks and vegeta were in there for like 20 episodes while cell killed and destroyed everything. if they were smart they would have let goku and vegeta go first but noooo you gotta wate also another 20 eps for the person that always beats the bad guys to finish his traing, i think thats stupid :\

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree heavily on the whole "Buu saga power levels are the limit."

Characters who are throwaways just show up and it's like "he's more powerful then Majin Buu" and it's just lame.

Like that Rilldo guy. It pissed me off--Goku could smoke him like nobody's business...but he just drags it out for no good reason.

I love Pan, but that's the only good part of GT, personally. And Goten's Mullet.

Don't even talk to me about what they did to Vegeta. >:0\

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Someone mentioned that Vejita goes on to say that he wanted Babidi to reawaken the darkness in his heart. He does say this, but in the english version Vejita looks sad, and says something along the lines of, "I gave way to this life of mediocrity..I was almost to the point of thinking the earth was a nice place to live."

In the actual story, when he is looking sad like this, he is lamenting that he had to lie to cover up his weakness. This is also why after this point, after facing Buu, he uses Final Shine in an attempt to sacrifice his life for the good of mankind. The episode's name, in Japanese was, (if you're curious), "For the Sake of my Loved Ones...Vejita falls!"

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Like that Rilldo guy. It pissed me off--Goku could smoke him like nobody's business...but he just drags it out for no good reason.
Lol General Rildo was a piece of ****. To think how lame it is when they made Goku say,

"He's even more powerful than Majin Buu"

That is a lie, General Rildo only had the ability to gain the power seen in an ordinary SSJ. Not much more powerful than that.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
^_^; I was just saying that it infuriated Vejita when Goku found out he was lying to protect his pride. So much, he felt it necessary to sacrifice his life to compensate for the shame..He would redeem himself by being the one, this time, to save the Earth.

Just as a side note--has anyone ever seen a model/skin for Vejita in ESF, wearing the pink BADMAN shirt, from the first eps of the Android saga?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And by that point Goku had been sparring with Uub since like what, five years earlier? So Goku's normal form as an adult is like...SSJ-SSJ2 power level anyways.

General Rilldo was nothing. An SSJ kamehameha would have wiped him out of existence.

And this Bebi thing is stupid too...why would any being go to earth and posses Vegeta (SSJ1 max), when there is Gohan (who is mystic), and Uub (supposedly at Kid Buu's level) ? I mean...duhh.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And this Bebi thing is stupid too...why would any being go to earth and posses Vegeta (SSJ1 max), when there is Gohan (who is mystic), and Uub (supposedly at Kid Buu's level) ? I mean...duhh.

SaiyanPride. Are you ok?
Vegeta and Gohan were both SSJ2. Where are you getting this weird info from. Gohan was not mystic either. They took it out of GT. Which it was temporary in DBZ. Lol nvm your weird.. What you said in the quote made no sense atall. Vegeta was stronger than Gohan. Vegeta could beat Uub aswell. (if Uub fused with fatbuu then Vegeta cant beat him)
Goku was not SSJ-SSJ2 PL while not transformed either you knucklehead.
Goku was around 10-15 mil.

For the last time. Uub never got all oof his potential back until he fuses with Fatbuu. SaiyanPride I very highly suggest you watch the GT Series over and over again until you understand.

Orz

Best answers
GT was insane. In theory, Ubuu is stronger than Vegeta no matter who he is or isn't fused with - Ubuu is the direct reincarnation of Kid Buu, who was far stronger than Vegeta and, yes, SSJ3 Goku. Goku was incalculably stronger than Vegeta by the time Kid Buu showed up, something Vegeta himself admitted. If Ubuu has even a small amount of the power of Kid Buu, his power is still greater than Vegeta's.

I don't see how they can justify Mystic 'wearing off', either, if it awakens the 'full potential' of somebody... you don't just LOSE your potential. And the Old Kai never said "Hey, you better use this quick, because it's going to wear off in a couple of episodes!"

But then, not much of GT makes sense. The entire way they achieve SSJ4 seems to just make a joke out of all the other Sagas, although SSJ3 was already pushing it.

Best answers
Another stupid moment in DBZ is that King Kai never taught Piccolo, Yamcha, Tien, or Chaozu Kaioken. I know that posts will follow stating that only Goku was able to learn it because he was pure hearted or some other ****. Sorry, I just don?t buy it, it is just another way on insuring that Goku is and will remain the strongest character in the series.

Just imagine if Piccolo had Kaioken when fighting Freeza, do you think he would have needed Goku to win? Hell no. Piccolo had an 800,000 PL when he was on Namek, Goku only 300,000 but he was using Kaioken x20 to keep up to form 4 Freeza. If Piccolo had Kaioken and was using x20 also he would have been at 16,000,000 which would have been 1 million more than SSJ.

Ok, another thing why didn?t Goku teach anyone Kaioken or Instant Transmission. Two of the most useful techniques to be learned in the series, just imagine how it would have helped the other characters out. Although since Kaioken kind of died out maybe the creators realized that it was a really cheap technique and should not continue to exist.

Best answers
20x kaioken doesn't multiply your PL with 20!
16.000.000 lol
sorry
and again how could you say which PL he has?!

Best answers
Up to the end of the Freeza Saga both the anime and the manga had PL scores for the characters, but after that saga there were no more official PL scores.

Best answers
Never seeing GT I don't know much about it, But I would rather choose Vegeta to take over than Gohan. Vegeta is continously training getting stronger, while Gohan just sits there like a nerd getting weaker. Bebi made a smart choice(from what I have read about GT).

And King Kai did not want to teach Piccolo the KaioKen because piccolo did not make King Kai laugh.

And one thing I do not get. Why the hell does gohan slack off(Even Goten and Trunks were training during the time after cell)? He should of learned from the buu saga that anything can come kill earth and you can't always expect Goku to save them(Goku tries to help Goten, Trunks, and Gohan to realize that he can't also come from the sky and save earth, that's why he gives them a shot of saving earth.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom