Stupidest Moment in DBZ

Best answers
SailorAlea said:
You're just arguing that because a legitimate company produced it, it's fanfiction.
I assume what you actually mean is I'm arguing that it's not fanfiction. ;)

And I stand by that argument. Everything you said about DBGT not being part of Toriyama's artistic vision I agree with 100 percent, as I always have. If Toriyama decided tommorow to create his own sequel to DBZ, that would be the authentic continuation of the story. However, I have been using the terms canon/non-canon, and I'm not sure if you fully understand or acknowledge them. From your argument, it would appear you believe fanfiction is the same as non-canon, but that is not true at all. If something is non-canon then it is not normally considered to be authentic or authoritative: part of the creator's artistic vision as you said. Therefore ALL fanfiction is non-canon, but not ALL non-canon material is fanfiction. The reason for this comes back to copyrighting.

Now, in the final part of your (edited) post it appears you finally acknowledged the fact that fanfiction is, for the most part, illegal, albiet in a slightly esoteric way which I will have to address shortly. If you write a story based on another's work, with the officially licensed rights to so, through an official publisher, that is not fanfiction. What you have done is create an official non-canon story; "official" is the important word here. On the other hand, if you write a story for your own personal enjoyment, to share with your friends, or host on the itnernet, that is fanfiction. You could ask the company's/creator's permission to do so (for non-profit purposes), in which case you would avoid any potential legal woes, but it would still be unofficial and thus fanfiction.

However, I can see you're obviously not going to budge on this issue, so I think it's best that we agree to disagree. Perhaps someday when fanfiction is an official word in the dictionary it will have two meanings to facilitate both our arguments. :)

This section is a bit vague, but this is where the right to write your own story regarding existing shows/books/movies is protected.

As long as you give proper credit to where the ideas came from, (i.e., author and the company who produces the animation) you can't be prosecuted for copyright violation.
I think you misunderstood what the purpose of the DMCA is; the DMCA was created in order to restrict the online sharing of books, movies, music etc - these items were previously protected under the old fair use doctrine. The section that you quoted does not support fanfiction in the slightest; it's expressing that tampering with copyright management information is a big no-no. CMI is information that facilitates the management of rights for a given copyrighted work (so, information concerning its conditions of use, the creator, the publisher, other rights holders and so on.) The section you quoted is basically a list of what constitutes the CMI for the purposes of being covered by the DMCA. It occurs to me that you simply misread the text, and believed that it was a defense for non-rights holders who would be protected so long as they included the CMI. It's the other way around; it protects rights holders from people who tamper with their CMI.

Also, giving proper credit will not protect you from being sued, because it doesn't change the fact that you are using somebody else's work without permission; including a disclaimer is merely a good way of mitigating the size of your fine in any potential court case.

Edit: I also agree that under this act alone, Fanfiction is still technically illegal, but the information written here, added with the digital privacy act, ensure Fanfiction's legality, and that no one who writes fanfiction will ever be prosecuted.
Couple of things:

First of all, perhaps you missed the explanation and links I provided in my last post, where I showed you that the Digital Privacy Act has nothing to do with what we're talking about?

Secondly, fanfiction is illegal, and I have proven this several times over with links and information, but there are ways you can get away with it. I don't think you visited the two websites at the bottom of my last post, and I will suggest to you again that you do so; they include much valuable information on the subject of copyright laws and how they pertain to any possible legalities concerning fanfiction.

The problem is that much of the legal issues surrounding fanfiction are theory where the internet is concerned, since there have been no major cases (to my knowledge) where authors of fanfiction have been prosectued; most people will remove stories from the net, or their webhosts will do so for them when the copyright holder demands it. As I said in the very beginning, most people turn a blind eye to to fanfiction because it usually isn't very harmful, and can often often help spread interest, or serve as a good market guage for companies. It's almost like free advertising.

Anyway, I'm tired of the fighting and arguments that are inherently present in Forums
I sincerely hope you do not consider our debate a "fight," because I would be offended if that were the case. From my perspective it has been calm and civil, with both of us arguing our positions strongly. I've noticed from many of your other posts that you do have a very forceful personality, and I just hope you're not getting upset because you've found someone here who is willing to stand up and argue his convictions in a thoughtful manner (which is not to say that there aren't many others here like that.) Contrary to popular belief, not everyone on the internet has the IQ of a toilet brush.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think you misunderstood what I meant..When you said,

"First of all, perhaps you missed the explanation and links I provided in my last post, where I showed you that the Digital Privacy Act has nothing to do with what we're talking about?"

What I said about the Digital Privacy Act was alluding to the impossibility of you being prosecuted for it, rather then the actual legality of fanfiction..Sorry if I came off in the opposite way.

As for the fighting with Forums, I was refering to XLS from the earlier pages;not yours. No, I don't believe everyone on the internet has an IQ of a toilet brush, just the vast majority. (One of which you are not, if you were wondering.)

Best answers
OK, but you do realise now that the DPA has nothing to do with legal matters concerning copyright injunctions? I mean, it was basically a law which updated previous laws about limiting government organisations (such as the FBI) from wiretapping your phone and using the information gathered as evidence against you. I think it's what the Patriot Act is trying to rescind right now, but I'm not an American so I don't actullay know that much about it.

In the English version, Furiza says something extremely stupid after being hit by the spiritbomb. Something like, "Yeah, those spiritbombs really pack a punch! I could go for another one!"
Was that in the Funimation version or the Ocean one? I've only seen the Funimation dub, and it was so long ago I've since forgotten the exact lines. Perhaps the Ocean voice actor did a better job at making him sound more intense as well?

At the risk of sounding sexist, I think Frieza was voiced by a women in the Funimation dub, which is perhaps the reason why he lacked a little punch to his words. (Although now that I think about it, would a western female actress really be a huge step down from a male Japanese actor as far as vocals are concerned?) :]

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The voiceactors of the Japanese version of DBZ are almost exclusively female. A woman by the name of Nozawa Masako did the voices for Goku, Gohan, and Goten. Trunks and Mirai Trunks were also done by a female seiyuu, so was Kururin.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Trunks and Mirai Trunks were also done by a female seiyuu
I can understand a chick spoke for Trunks, but Mirai Trunks? That's weird, Mirai Trunks sounds like a teenager, guy that is almost all the time, like when he says Father! Sounds like a male, nothing like female, must have been a manly women.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Seiyuu list for DragonBallZ
Kururin- (Female)Tanaka Mayumi (YuuYuuHakusho and one ep of SailorMoon)
Yajirobe- (Female)Tanaka Mayumi

Son Goku- (Female)Nozawa Masako
Son Goten- (Female)Nozawa Masako
Son Gohan- (Female)Nozawa Masako

Trunks(Mirai)- (Male)Kusao Takeshi(MacrossII, Gundam F-91, Akira)

Yamucha- (Male)Furuya Tohru (Also Tuxedo Kamen from Bishijou Senshi Sailormoon, ZGundam, MacrossII, Gundam)

Piccolo- (Male)Furukawa Toshio(HawksEye, Sailormoon SuperS, ZGundam, GeneralBlue from DB)

Tienshinhan- (Male)Suzuoki Hirotaka(Z Gundam, Trigun eps 23/24, Saint Seiya, Ranma 1/2, Rurouni Kenshin, Macross, Gundam ZZ, Gundam, Crest of the Stars)

Chaozu- (Female)Emori Hiroko(Saint Seiya, 6 different one-time episode people in SailorMoon, Gundam X, G Gundam, also Bulma's mother in DBZ)

Furiza- (Male)Nakao Ryuusei(Weiss Kruez, Saint Seiya)

It's always interesting to see the people behind the voice, even if they don't look ANYTHING like what you'd expect..

Best answers
LOl gt is very real,its just not made by the same guy that made db and dbz,anyways i think you guys are getting way into this,but did anyone else notice that goku and gohan were always catching fish that had to way 200-300 pounds? What were they living by a nuclear power plant

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Abhorsen, have you missed the entire content of this thread?

GT is NOT made by the person who wrote DB and DBZ, Akira Toriyama. GT is written by a plethora of people, none of which are Akira Toiryama.

The fact that it's NOT written by him MAKES it not 'real'!

Best answers
Just cause the same guy didnt make it doesnt make it not "Real" its perfectly real,its the people doing the same crap they did in the last version

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, it's not people doing the same crap, as the last version.

GT is very different, and it changes the characters and makes them do things they wouldn't do in their original frame of mind..

Why do you think GT was such a failure in Japan, compared to DBZ?

It failed to capture the vision of the original author.

Best answers
Umm its basicaly the same thing more ssj levels,more of everyone getting beaten to a pulp and than winning some how,pretty much the same just worse than dbz.And how can a cartoon character have a frame of mind? In my opion the reason gt did so bad is cause dbz was bad enought why go on?

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes, it's pretty much the same, except a whole _lot_ worse..It's inexcusably bad! It's recycled garbage.. Akira Toriyama wanted to end DBZ before it became like that, but was persuaded to allow it to exist, but he said he'd never release the rights again, because of how GT turned out.

Orz

Best answers
I think GT tried to evolve too far. The way the Buu saga ended was bad enough - Gohan a teacher, Goten and Trunks annoying teenagers, Piccolo actually avoiding battles because he feels he's too weak (what the hell? Since when has Piccolo backed off from a fight?)...

If I had the power over GT, I'd have gone back to what was GOOD about the earlier DBZ. You could have Gohan and Piccolo fighting again, make the battles about skill rather than constantly jumping up SSJ levels to get an advantage, try to tone down the growing holes in a plot that tries to twist one too many times.

Instead, GT decided to try to go off in a new direction entirely, basing everything from the last two episodes of the Buu Saga and just going downhill from there. There was a huge potential for what is essentially a fan-made version of the show. In my opinion, they wasted it entirely. Surely no fans actually liked the way the show ended for our favourite characters, like Gohan and Piccolo? Where's the sense in focusing even more on Vegeta, Goku and their fused selves, or adding ridiculous villains who are 'more powerful than Majin Buu!'

That reads to me like BAD fanfiction, the sort that doesn't use punctuation and ends with Trunks going SSJ7 through the POWER OF LOVE and transforming into Giganting Dancing Leopard Oozaru and growing a rocket launcher in his chest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom