Ragdoll Physics

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not gonna happen hlev and you know it.

SSE2 is in the mainstream products for years. If you dont even have such a processor then i doubt your GFX card can run the shaders we use.
Although I agree with you Grega, shaders can be turned of, right? So you don't necessarily need a GFX card to support them.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes they can be turned off. But those are the overlaying shaders, like multilights, shadows, bloom, sun and stuff like that.

Ofcourse your GFX card still has to handle stuff like bump mapping or alpha blending and such stuff. Those are not optional.

ESF Coder
🌠 Staff
Best answers
Dont forget the water shader grega. If your card canÄt run the water shader, then you won't be able to see the water

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I have GeForce 7600 GT.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What pixel shader is needed for the game? 7600 GT should have pixel shader...3.0 if I remember correctly

Dont forget the water shader grega. If your card canÄt run the water shader, then you won't be able to see the water
Will he game not run at all, or will you not be able to see anything of the water? I spot a potential problem in that.

Last edited:
Project Manager
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
of course the game will be blocked all together. Shader Model 3.0 is a requirement for ESF, since all player models are being animated on the GPU to speed up the performance.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So the minimum specs are at least an ATI Radeon x1300-x1950, Geforce 6 or 7 series, Intel GMA X3000 G965 (Although I can't imagine you will be able to play it with this card).

Project Manager
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's safe to say it'll be something like:

CPU: SSE2 compatible CPU.
RAM: XP = 1 GB, Vista/W7 = 2GB
Grafikkarte: Nvidia 6600, ATI 1300 or higher ( Shader Model 3, 128MB VRAM and up )

those will of course not enable u to play on anything but low settings. But it's fairly safe to say that u will be able to start it.

Best answers
Its possible but unlikely. Our coders would have to create the entire ragdoll system from scratch, adding weights to the bones of the MDL format models and ****loads of other stuff just to get it somewhat to work.

Possible but not probable as the mythbusters would say.
Also, I don't think that GoldSource can do ragdoll without really bad performance chokes. Ragdoll Physics are a Source feature, an old engine such as GoldSource wouldn't handle the constant code updates for placement of bodies.

Even if it's possible, it's gonna lag and crash really bad.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Also, I don't think that GoldSource can do ragdoll without really bad performance chokes. Ragdoll Physics are a Source feature, an old engine such as GoldSource wouldn't handle the constant code updates for placement of bodies.

Even if it's possible, it's gonna lag and crash really bad.
The Source engine is a heavily modified version of the GoldSrc engine. ESF is just reinventing it. I think it should 'easily' be able to handle it, there have been many library's for Half Life that contain ragdoll physics.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The Source engine is a heavily modified version of the GoldSrc engine. ESF is just reinventing it. I think it should 'easily' be able to handle it, there have been many library's for Half Life that contain ragdoll physics.
While thats true you should remember that we are limited to the SDK. Where valve had the actual GoldSRC code available.

Everyone's Favorite Weirdo :D
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
for those of you that havent been reading from Page 1... we are running ESF off the Bullet engine. which means, we CAN do ragdoll.. we just dont want to spend time on it because other actual GAMEPLAY aspects are on higher priority.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
It's safe to say it'll be something like:

CPU: SSE2 compatible CPU.
RAM: XP = 1 GB, Vista/W7 = 2GB
Grafikkarte: Nvidia 6600, ATI 1300 or higher ( Shader Model 3, 128MB VRAM and up )

those will of course not enable u to play on anything but low settings. But it's fairly safe to say that u will be able to start it.
If that's 6600 GT, I have no problem with that, and I'm not very familiar with computers information, so I'll post a picture of my.

As I said, I've got 8500 GT which is not a problem, but RAM and other stuff bugs me :-/
As long as my PC can be compatible with Ragdoll physics, I'm for it. (I know it works for me, lol)

Project Manager
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Your CPU doesn't support SSE2 and 512MB Ram will not do either so u can't run ESF anyways...

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I think it supports SSE2, but about RAM I'm sure now...

Features

There are four variants: Athlon 64, Athlon 64 FX, Mobile Athlon 64 (later renamed "Turion 64") and the dual-core Athlon 64 X2. Common among the Athlon 64 line are a variety of instruction sets including MMX, 3DNow!, SSE, SSE2, and SSE3. All Athlon 64s also support the NX bit, a security feature named "Enhanced Virus Protection" by AMD. And as implementations of the AMD64 architecture, all Athlon 64 variants are able to run 16 bit, 32 bit x86, and AMD64 code, through two different modes the processor can run in: "Legacy mode" and "long mode". Legacy mode runs 16-bit and 32-bit programs natively, and long mode runs 64-bit programs natively, but also allows for 32-bit programs running inside a 64-bit operating system. All Athlon 64 processors feature 128 Kilobytes of level 1 cache, and at least 512 KB of level 2 cache.
Source : Wikipedia

Best answers
Hm.

My apologies then. Still, it will consume way more processing power from the players on a game that already has a high system requirement. If tweaking was done more efficiently, it MIGHT be possible, but otherwise it's just excluding even more people with low-end and mid-end computers.

Like this poor chap:

If that's 6600 GT, I have no problem with that, and I'm not very familiar with computers information, so I'll post a picture of my.

As I said, I've got 8500 GT which is not a problem, but RAM and other stuff bugs me :-/
As long as my PC can be compatible with Ragdoll physics, I'm for it. (I know it works for me, lol)
Whoa. You're using SSE and you've only got 512MB Ram? That's really weak. You don't even meet the basic requirements. And the 8500 GT isn't appropriate aswell. 256 Vram isn't a lot, you know. You probably won't run the game. Not smoothly, at least.

Last edited:
Everyone's Favorite Weirdo :D
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
if people can buy a 60 dollar video game, I think they can afford to upgrade their computer some... not only that, but your computer lasts you A LOT longer than a game you know? more benefits to upgrading your pc

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hm.

My apologies then. Still, it will consume way more processing power from the players on a game that already has a high system requirement. If tweaking was done more efficiently, it MIGHT be possible, but otherwise it's just excluding even more people with low-end and mid-end computers.

Like this poor chap:

Whoa. You're using SSE and you've only got 512MB Ram? That's really weak. You don't even meet the basic requirements. And the 8500 GT isn't appropriate aswell. 256 Vram isn't a lot, you know. You probably won't run the game. Not smoothly, at least.
The only problem i see with his rig is the 512 MB of ram. SSE2 is only an instruction set and his GFX card should be able to handle shader mode 3.0 and the minimum Vram is 128 so thats clear to.

On a side note. His specifications are not that of a medium spec PC they are those of a low spec PC. The 8500 was a crappy series. Not much power in that card and some of the earlier cards outmaneuver it quite easily. I myself have a relatively low end PC by todays standards. But hey its been 4 years since i bought it so its to be expected. The only things of medium spec standard i got are the GFX (9800GT) and ram (2GB) My processor however is so sucky that it cant even use the full capacity of my GFX card and its a P4 3.0 GHz. So yes by todays standard i have a low to medium spec PC. Will it last another 2 years. Probably, will i be able to play the new games. Not a chance. Ill be lagging even on low settings due to my CPU if i get stuff to run in the first place.

Allso ESF is not reinventing source. We are making Goldsource into something totally different, yet we are limited by using the SDK since we dont have access to the GoldSource source code. Os if people want a higher efficiency then get our coders the HL1 source code to mess with ^^

Best answers
The only problem i see with his rig is the 512 MB of ram. SSE2 is only an instruction set and his GFX card should be able to handle shader mode 3.0 and the minimum Vram is 128 so thats clear to.

On a side note. His specifications are not that of a medium spec PC they are those of a low spec PC. The 8500 was a crappy series. Not much power in that card and some of the earlier cards outmaneuver it quite easily. I myself have a relatively low end PC by todays standards. But hey its been 4 years since i bought it so its to be expected. The only things of medium spec standard i got are the GFX (9800GT) and ram (2GB) My processor however is so sucky that it cant even use the full capacity of my GFX card and its a P4 3.0 GHz. So yes by todays standard i have a low to medium spec PC. Will it last another 2 years. Probably, will i be able to play the new games. Not a chance. Ill be lagging even on low settings due to my CPU if i get stuff to run in the first place.

Allso ESF is not reinventing source. We are making Goldsource into something totally different, yet we are limited by using the SDK since we dont have access to the GoldSource source code. Os if people want a higher efficiency then get our coders the HL1 source code to mess with ^^

Just to clarify, I didn't mention that his PC is Mid-end; It's obviously Low-end. Yours is superior, but it still won't run recent games on high settings anymore.

And I don't think Valve wants the competition with their hands on their base code, too. So it's not likely that it'll be released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom