Ragdoll Physics

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
hey, i was just wondering if ragdoll physics will be in the new game.. i think its amazing and would make the game feel better, im sure some people would agree with me.. :scared:

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It probably is possible, I think I recall someone on the team bragging that they could, but it's a lot of work for something that is very trivial. Don't worry, the death animations aren't horrible.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Its possible but unlikely. Our coders would have to create the entire ragdoll system from scratch, adding weights to the bones of the MDL format models and ****loads of other stuff just to get it somewhat to work.

Possible but not probable as the mythbusters would say.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Its possible but unlikely. Our coders would have to create the entire ragdoll system from scratch, adding weights to the bones of the MDL format models and ****loads of other stuff just to get it somewhat to work.

Possible but not probable as the mythbusters would say.
Plausible actually. :p

Anyway, the team has added countless graphical features, they might as well go the whole nine yards and add ragdoll physics. Unlike bloom, which only exists to burn ones eyes, ragdoll physics would actually add an important factor of fun in the game. Not only could they be used when one dies, but also when you get thrown, or gets hit by a beam. Throwing people around would instantly get 10 times more fun if models react to the environment in a semi-realistic way. DT can make beautiful animations, yes, but even his animations can't beat a good ragdoll system, that's why all games use ragdoll physics these days.

Imagine throwing a player A into a player B, they react realistically to each other and both get thrown back. They both hit a wall, and fall down realistically, until they both smash into the ground, all using physics instead of standard animation. I'm telling you, of all graphical features you can add, ragdoll physics are easily the most important and the most 'needed' for ESF. It would be a shame if we would have a beautiful game in the end, without any ragdoll physics.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I want ragdoll chemistry instead. Does that make me a bad person?

🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
If it would be done it would probably look something like this

[video=youtube;aChB2e5AL5k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aChB2e5AL5k&feature=related&fmt=18[/video]

and that would suck.

✔️ HL Verified
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
If it would be done it would probably look something like this

and that would suck.
That actually looks quite good.
Ragdoll physics would really finish this game, there has been a ton of graphical upgrades, but you're still using a simple animation for falling, which is a shame.

Too bad HL was programmed in C, cause most(if not all) physics libraries are written in C++, therefor integration would not be posible.

However, using the current system, the team could add some more effects to falling(eg. body rotation/tilting) so it isn't a simple brick falling from the sky.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The Source Engine is basically Half-Life with ragdoll physics and lots of other entity systems... it would have to be a merger of a lot of code from the newer version of Half-Life.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Even the simplest ragdoll-physics would be so cool
But this is not essential however

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heh we should really show you guys ESF bowling. Tis such a fun thing :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
[video=youtube;keI59KRVco8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keI59KRVco8&feature=related[/video]

Really ragdoll can be the cheesiest thing in a game. imagine knock back with ragdoll effects, you hit someone back and there in a stupid pose where arms flailing and legs limp. No, wouldn't look right at all.

Its far from realistic. Just take a look at that other Half-life enhanced video the positions they end up and when thrown...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
[video=youtube;keI59KRVco8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keI59KRVco8&feature=related[/video]

Really ragdoll can be the cheesiest thing in a game. imagine knock back with ragdoll effects, you hit someone back and there in a stupid pose where arms flailing and legs limp. No, wouldn't look right at all.

Its far from realistic. Just take a look at that other Half-life enhanced video the positions they end up and when thrown...
Then the physics system that is used is just crap. A properly used ragdoll system should not have those problems. And still, even a less realistic ragdoll system is more fun than just standard animations. The ragdoll system used above should be a lot of fun if two bodies can collide and be used when you throw 2 people in each other.

ESF Coder
🌠 Staff
Best answers
Too bad HL was programmed in C, cause most(if not all) physics libraries are written in C++, therefor integration would not be posible.
Actually HL itself is in C++, every mod is in C++. The only real C thing is the communication between the engine and the mod.

Then the physics system that is used is just crap. A properly used ragdoll system should not have those problems. And still, even a less realistic ragdoll system is more fun than just standard animations. The ragdoll system used above should be a lot of fun if two bodies can collide and be used when you throw 2 people in each other.
Thats true, but please dont forget, that we aren't using the hl physic engine. We've switched to Bullet for a long time

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And how much of that library can you use? Because from what I can see, Bullet should easily be able to handle ragdoll physics.

ESF Coder
🌠 Staff
Best answers
Actually we could use the whole thing, but ragdolls were never a real priority task so we havn't spend time on them yet

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom