Ragdoll Physics

ANBU
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Seeing that u guys use Bullet i think i can really lay back and just wait for the final product. :)

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Actually HL itself is in C++, every mod is in C++. The only real C thing is the communication between the engine and the mod.

Thats true, but please dont forget, that we aren't using the hl physic engine. We've switched to Bullet for a long time
Thought I saw only C files in the HL SDK, my bad. (And also because mods of engines like Q2 and Q3 are written in C, I assumed HL would be aswell since those are quite similar)

edit; someone else posted the same thing

Last edited:
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually we could use the whole thing, but ragdolls were never a real priority task so we havn't spend time on them yet
When you think about it though, it makes sense to add it to the game. Apart from the points I mentioned earlier, clothing could also be animated using a physics system. It would save DT from having to animate Picollo's cape for example, and I can imagine it could also be used for normal clothing/hair to react to 'wind' while flying. Or maybe even beams flying past you and having clothing/hair react to the force of the beams. I don't know how taxing it would be on a computer though, but it could add much to the game, more so than any other graphical feature we have seen so far. Much more.

ANBU
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Sicron has a point. I guess it's up to you guys to decide but seeing as it's the final version of ESF, it would be cool. :)

Best answers
Yeah, I'd love last Sicron idea.

But the ragdoll thing... I don't know. Just look at the series (manga and... anime D: ), the characters are recketed when a hit launches them. A ragdoll physics would make them take a parabolic direction, and not a linear one, like they do in the series.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Ragdoll physics only change the animation the character makes, i.e. have their arms fling around and react to objects hitting them or parts of the environment. It would not change the way they fly around when a hit launches them in a certain way.

Best answers
We've toyed with the idea, but it's just too much work for pretty death animations, since it would involve making customarily physical representations for every character (capsule man for collision with the environment). You can't really use them for anything but death animations, since the 'end' pose of the rag-doll simulation is completely open so it won't easily connect to one of our existing animations.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
So I guess the ruling is as stated before... Possible but won't happen.

πŸš‚ Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
You all say that it would take so long to add ragdoll physics to every character in game. But think about that all current games have ragdolls on every character. How long could it take to add ragdolls on every character in EFS? I think we can wait a bit longer.

Dudemeister
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
One of the people that complains about the lack of updates has the nerve to say "I think we can wait a bit longer.".
GG

+1 post count!!! HURRAY!!!

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
You all say that it would take so long to add ragdoll physics to every character in game. But think about that all current games have ragdolls on every character. How long could it take to add ragdolls on every character in EFS? I think we can wait a bit longer.
Its a lot less about how long it would take than about what we would have to do for it.

1.) It would be a lot of work
2.) All you would get out of it would be death animations, since youd most likely get weird poses if used for anything else. Like bodeyparts jumping to a different position upon recovery and stuff like that. The transitions would not be fluid and we are not taking taht quality hit.
3.) There is so much more higher priority tasks to be donne that this is a minor thing, especially since DT allready sexed up the animations to a level of sear awsomenes :p

πŸš‚ Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
One of the people that complains about the lack of updates has the nerve to say "I think we can wait a bit longer.".
GG

+1 post count!!! HURRAY!!!
For the game, yes we can wait a bit longer but the fact that the updates are being replaced by PoTW's is rather annoying.

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
"Bug that makes your characters not apear ingame fixed"
"Bug that makes your characters textures messed up reported"

Hows that for an update then?

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I honestly prefer basic physics/contextual assisted death anims. I always thought ragdolls looked weird. IE the kind where you ragdoll instantly and just let physics take over. I find the special HS/Backstab anims for TF2 for example to be great. But really, ragdoll would be just too much work for not much gain.

Everyone's Favorite Weirdo :D
🌠 Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah, ragdoll animations are actually really cool. but to link ragdoll BACK into a character animation will cause some weird results. If anything like Green said, we would use them for death animations but nothing else really.

Project Manager
🌠 Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
we would have to create ragdolls for ever character, since we not only have humans we have aliens with tails and stuff like that, so we need individual ragdolls, so right now the effort to implement it doesn't equal the gain. Such thigns might be implemented if everything else is done and stable we we're like: let's waste some time on fancy extras xD

NOT IN THE MANGAβ„’
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Waste your time on the ****ing non-SSE2 patch, bastards. **** those physics.

EDIT: /sarcasm.

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Not gonna happen hlev and you know it.

SSE2 is in the mainstream products for years. If you dont even have such a processor then i doubt your GFX card can run the shaders we use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom