Official melee suggestion thread

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
All melee suggestions will go here. Before you start posting read the guidelines below...
a) No flaming
b) Negativity will not be tolerated, CONSTRUCTIVE criticism only!
c) If it’s not a suggestion, DONT POST. That means no
- Melee sucks nuts!!!!
- Melee rocks!
- Good suggestion!
ect...
d) Meaningful suggestions only, I don’t want to see
- Melee sucks; you should have punch + kick buttons!!!!
If you’re going to say that, tell us how we are going to set up the punch/kick buttons, how would you hit someone with it, what type of damage it will do, how melee powerstruggles will happen, ect..
e) Make sure it's well thought out, simple, and able to be done in HL. Examples...
- You should make it so you can blow people through mountains!
- You should have streetfigher melee that requires insainly fast reflexes that anything above 15 ping will make it unplayable!
f) Make your suggestion longer then 2 sentences, and use DECENT english. That means i shouldnt be reading stuff like this
- omg, melee r0x0rz, i think u should make swoop slow and it good but needs help it looks like the dude is in kaioken so its too fast!!! READ ME PLZ!!!
( Funny part about it is i accually see you guys taking like that, hehe )
Thats it, Have fun :p

Best answers
How long are you gonna be harsens sidekick and when are melee struggles being implemented.

My Suggestion Involving melee is that when you fly towards somebody and ur swooping toward a mountain u sbhould be able to click(right click=secondary fire) so you would kick off and when u head back,u can backflip kick the person that u missed.:]

AND THAT IS DECENT English with abreviations.:]

*Give the man a chicken :D*
-Dev

Scruffie

S
Ho ho ho, check my English, and I'm from BRITAIN so I have a bit of an advantage in this area...

I've posted a melee suggestion a few times and no team member has commented. I feel is I post it here, someone will say something.

When two people swoop at each other, a melee struggle starts.

The PS bar appears, and the two fighter start punching each other in a blurry fashion, like DBZ. Well, when one man is winning, he pushes the opponent backwards. And the counter goes in his favour. I will say more about what happens when we wins in a minute.

Half way through, both players can kick, to save them from dieing. This moves the slider in their direction at the cost of Ki. The should regulate using it, because with only five kicks, they run out of Ki. This is controlled by the right mouse button.

The left mouse button should not need to be held down, in fact, clicking it will punch the opponents chin, which has the same affect as kick.

When one player wins, he grabs the others fist, just like DBZ. When this happens, the player can with punch him away (left click) kick him away (right click) blast him away with a one handed Ki attack (remember, the other hand is holding the fist) which needs to be charged but doesn't use Ki, or throw him away, again not using Ki, which needs to be charged and possibly aimed?

Now when charging an attack, the other player could recover, by regaining his Ki. When his Ki i near full (it restores faster than usual in struggles) he can restart the struggle, where he would win since the opponent has little Ki left, or punch him, kick him, use a ki attack, or throw him away.

After being blasted away by a punch or a kick (or being thrown) the opponent can recover as usual or teleport out of it and swoop in and hit them.

Also, I would like to be able to teleport midswoop, and be able to block all sides at once, as long as I have a) a high PL and b) A lot of Ki left.

Thats that.

Hope it wasn't too much.

Or too little. :D

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
fast and simple suggestion. :)

Get damage to the kipool first. then health when in melee. :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wouldnt it be cool to instead oif just knocking a person 50 feet you do hand to hand like punch and kick really fast? I think so.

This is my Idea you start out doing a swoop locking on, speeding towards them etc.. Instead of righ clicking though you would press enter. Then you would get close to the guy and not knock him away just start kicking and punching. Once you kick him once you could keep pressing enter to keep doing it.

eX: Im Goku, I see vegeta, I start swooping towards him. I press enter. I kick him once and he remains in same space. then I keep plessing enter. It would become a ps. He would start pressing enter really fast too (While you and him punch and kick) Then he would eiher win or lose. If I win I knick him into a wall. If I lose he knocks me. ((You cant be attacked by other players when your ps like this)) This could result in faster more tactical fighting.

Get it?

Another idea:

You could grab. You start out with a swoop. Then press shift. You would grap the person and begin to throw him. This become a ps if he presses enter rapidly and wins the ps he gets let free. If your stronger you throw him.

What ya guys think?

Scruffie

S
The only prblem with that idea is that most people hate tapping keys. I really hate it at least.

About my blocking all sides idea...

Well, I just think that Goku (for example) wouldn't just sit there waiting to be hit, I'd think he'd block attacks as they hit, instead of crossing his arms and hoping for the best.

If someone hits me from the side, I'd think goku would whip his hand back and push the punch or kick away, which would block it, instead of just sitting there crossing his arms and getting beat from the sides.

I mean, it already takes health off when you get hit, so it wouldn't be something you could spam too much. Although I do think it should eat out of your Ki rather than Health, cus you don't actually get hit.

From behind you could lean to the side and dodge their foot or something. Maybe blocking could also initiate a counter-attack for melee attacks, like you grab their foot then punch them. But, I suppose this isn't really needed, as you can Counter attack already...

And this is melee, cus most people would agree that Blocking is an integral part of melee.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the swoopin is cool. how about if both characters would have melee toggled on, they would engaged sort of in a melee battle in order to perform this. if only one player has melee toggled, they'd be knocked back instead of a struggle

first of all i swoop and click right mouse button.. if both have melee toggled, it would bring a melee struggle bar.. you two would then be locked on in the struggle.. you would then click the left button and it would do 5 consecutive punches, or the right mouse button and it would do 5 consecutive kicks.. the bar moves steadily towards your side of the struggle bar.. the more hits you get in your bar would fill with your color.. you would then knock back your opponent... sort of a DBZ legends type of melee

the bar doesn't have to be so big.. maybe 2 inches long

also, using the block key at times would block the attack.

as the struggle occurs, when the player is hit, they would lose maybe 1 hp each punch and kick?

also those who want to shoot a blast at those in a struggle, they can only harm them if their PL is at a high enough PL to be stronger than them.. other than that there should be a KI bubble around them like gohan's ki thingy

good idea yes no???

Scruffie

S
Basically mine with 5 punches and kicks and no finisher.

Although the whole five punches instead of one is a good addition to mine, and the Ki bubble should be done.

OR

When it hit like an outgrowing bubble (like the one in your first SSJ trans) deflects the attack. And it doesn't have to be if the other player has a higher PL, cus n00bs (me) would be pissed off cus they can't melee struggle.

Best answers
Basically in my idea, the melee struggle (along with general fighting) is about getting an enemy off guard.
The idea below is a lot like everyone elses, but I did think of most of this myself. Controls are default unless otherwise is said.

Seperate punch/kick buttons must be implemented. Each can be held and charged just like ki moves (a punch/kick charge animation please). The longer it is charged the more damage you'll do if you land a hit. A fully charged hit leaves the opponent stunned for not even a second. Only a STUNNED enemy will be "flung" across the screen if he is hit, like the melee does now.
Punching is generally more powerful, but kick has a longer range. (There is a downside to charging, just read on). Punch and kick animations would have to be animated even if the hit doesn't register. Maybe have seperate animations and delay time for a "miss".
A grab button must be implemented as well (Note: The general grab idea is Sierra Sonic's. Check the forums). They say "attaching models" is very hard, but I'm sure you guys can do it, I have faith. Grabbing has many uses that will be explained later.

General Melee:

You see someone and target them (lets say SHIFT), swoop at them (SHIFT again), and can either punch (LCLICK), or kick (RCLICK)

IF:

1) The enemy attacks as well, and both players hit, there is a chance that either both players hit each other (Vegeta and Goku punching each other in the jaw in Majin Buu Saga, for example) and both take damage, STUNNED momentarily, or a Melee Struggle starts. (More discussed on melee struggles later)

2) The enemy attacks as well, and either player misses, that player is STUNNED (punch/kick animation stuck in motion). How long depends on how long the punch or kick is charged (<- DOWNSIDE!).

3) The enemy blocks, he still takes a MINOR bit of damage if the attack is charged, but the attacker is left STUNNED, and the blocker can grab the enemies foot or fist which gives you almost a second to either punch, kick, Ki, or grab again (which would throw them in the direction you are facing).

Melee Struggle:

As almost everyone who was suggested melee struggles has said, the flurry of fists and feet and either player blocking and dodgin are displayed as the PowerStruggle meter comes up. Where the indicator starts off is dependant on the difference between the charge length of both attacks, and the players PL difference. You MUST HOLD the button you held that started the MS (Melee Struggle) in order to stay in the battle. Turbo can be turned on for the usual effect. Both characters are LOCKED in battle, meaning they can't be hit or be interupted.

IF Player X is winning, the battle moves (meaning they both float in a direction) in the winners direction (Up, Down, Left, Right, etc.). This way the winner can try to lead his opponent into a wall. IF the loser hits a wall the struggle stops leaving him STUNNED, giving the winner a chance to land a good hit. Be careful how long you charge this hit, because eventually the enemy gets his control back and can move out of the way. When the indicator is in the middle (neither player is winning) the flash that appears when a hit is landed is played more intensely (more, bigger, etc.).

IF Player X wins the struggle, the punch or kick that initially started the struggle will take effect (the charge of the attack isn't kept, it does a medium punch/kick that leaves the loser STUNNED, from there you can do what you wish.)

Extras:

Grabbing from behind instead of in front while someone is prone after attacking will... grab on from behind. Pretty self-explanitory, but if you don't understand, read Sierra Sonic's post in Beta 1 section (might be in Suggestions).

EDIT: Kick would do more damage, with the advantage of range, but Punch is much faster (thank you sm0ke for the tip).

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I would just like to say that is an EXELENT suggestion KuBaN, most definatly the best one ive seen on these forums. Very nice job :)
On a side note... I deleted your post <No_Mercy>, i said no spamming useless topics.
- Yes, this is spam, but its my topic so blow me :)

EDIT:
Ak, sorry. It was suppose to say
On a side note... I deleted your post -No_Mercy-,
Instead of - - he had the > < symbols inversed, and it somehow erased the name, heh...

Best answers
I think melee should follow the KISS idea - Keep It Simple Stupid.

There is much talk of melee struggles, like power struggles, however we cant have any button bashing systems due to cheaters. I noticed in a Power Struggle thread I started someone said they prefer a "Rock Paper Scissors" system. I think this could work well for the melee struggles.

Firstly, I would like to suggest that the current "swoop & kick/bash -> send flying" system should always remain in ESF. It adds a lot of speed to the game, and I feel that if someone is caught off gaurd then they should pay the price for it and get pummeled into a mountain across the map.

Onto melee struggles:

Melee Struggles (MS) could be initiated by:

* 2 players swooping at each other and both are holding the secondary attack key (both are attacking; if one player is not attacking, they should get kicked)
* 2 players that are near each other and both press the secondary fire (melee hit) key at the same time (or to such an extent)

Once 2 players are in a melee struggle, they cannot be hurt by anyone else in the playing field. When the MS begins, a MS balance bar appears showing who is winning. The models would automatically be animated as punching and kicking at each other at high speeds with sounds etc. 3 new buttons would have to be implemented for a rock/scissor/paper system. Each player recieves at most 3 seconds to select an attack of either "high, mid or low". If a player doesnt choose an attack, they will get hit. If BOTH players do not choose an attack, the MS ends.

Low beats High
High beats Mid
Mid beats Low

If the players choose the same region of attack, a clash occurs and the big white melee flash appears but no one is hurt.
In any other case, the victor lands a hit on the opponent and a big melee flash is shown, and it knocks the loser back a LITTLE BIT (a teleport length). The victor of that round of "High/Mid/Low" automatically teleports (at no cost of Ki) back up to where they just hit the loser and they gain some balance on the MS bar.

Once one player wins the MS, they will hit them in the same fashion as the melee swoop & kick does, except perhaps in a straight up or down direction, depending on which direction has the closest surface to hit (you want them to hit a surface to take some more damage for losing the struggle)

I think blocking is good being uni-directional (only blocks the way you are facing). Sure, Goku would stick his arm out to the side and block side attacks and he would move to the side to dodge back attacks... but this is what you as the player have to do. You have to be Goku's brain, and turn to face the attacker and block them.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, perhaps the first person to win 3 High/Mid/Low rounds wins the overall MS. Or, you could base how many rounds you have to win off PLs. But I think a fixed number for each player would be fairer.

2nd EDIT: After a night's sleep I think you wouldn't NEED 3 new buttons, you could just use: walk forward for HIGH, walk backward for LOW and strafe LEFT/RIGHT for mid.

Scruffie

S
I don't know why everyone thinks block should hurt someone.

It should take a tiny tiny bit off of Ki.

Also, I hate when I've targeted someone and they've gone off screen then they detarget... I think they should stay targeted until you say so or they die.
And there should be a 'Find Target' button, so when you lose them, pressing the button will center the screen on them.

Kuban, I don't think you should have to hold down the button. If someone who is winning accidently move his finger... then well, it will all be pointless. So you shouldn't have to hold it down.

I don't think it should be like a Melee 'Struggle' (as in the original punch has just been 'delayed', like beam struggles) I think it should work more like a fight.

Everyone has suggested that it starts of with the same idea as a PS, and it should, but I think it should ended with a move you select, like in my idea you grab their fist then get to hit back with one of four moves you choose, (not by a selecting screen, just pressing the appropraite button on yer keyboard) or else they recover. It should work more like a fight than a Struggle, thats all I'm saying. The fight should be as completeley random as a fight, whereas a struggle is mostly the same wach time.

Best answers
ok .. here is my idea:

1-first u must be locked on a melee struggl with some one, this happenes in two or more ways, like invting the player to a MS or u just get near each other and hit each other then u find ur sleves in a melee struggle!

2-once ur locked, if it's a deatchmatch, u can't be hit by someone else, if it's a teamplay, then maybe ur teammates can help u in someway, like when both vegeta and goku faught super buu!

when you are locked in a Melee Struggle, there will be more than one type of punches and kicks. for example u can have to types: punch the face, punhc the stomach! also u can kick the thigh or kick the stomach (with ur knees)

the controls can be like this:
-"q,w" for punches. "e" to block punches (protects the upper part of your body, ur face and stomach)
-"a,s" for kicks. "d" to block kicks (protects the lower parts)

when u block, it reduces the effect of the other player's attack, depends on ur power levels. if u have more PL than the oponent does, his attack wil have no effect, and so on

the different kind of punch can have diferrent speeds, strengths! ect...
Or the longer u hold down a punch button (i said "a" not "the" because you will have to punches, one punches the face and the other punches the stomach!) so the longer u hold the stronger the attack will be!

u can't quit a melee struggle if the indicator is in the red area of the MS bar (if you are losing), or run away from it! first because ur move controls will be assigned to the attacks, second if u try to teleport then the other player will teleport with you (even if he doesn't press the teleport button)

while struggling, the indicator will move (either in the blue or the red area) depending on how much damage each player is causing to the other.

if you are winning the struggle (the indicator is in the blue area) then u can quit the MS, i don't see why would any one quit it if he is winning, maybe if he thinks he doesn't have enough ki!! or he thinks that guy is poor, and he wants to give him a chance to recover his ki or to do something!! to have a real challenge! (lol)

some more things to put in the melee system:
-when u punch u can't block
-when u kick u can block the upper part(ur faceand stomach) at the same time while ur kicking.
-punches are stronger than kicks (but u can't block while punching)
-if the players punch or kick each other at the same time (same attack) it can be like kuban said, they both take damage.

the melee shouldn't eat much ki. u should be able to MS for 10 seconds at least even if ur KI bar is only half-filled.

when you win the MS, the next punch u do will throw the other player off, the distance he is thrown off is dependence on how much strength u put into ur punch/kick. (the benifit of throwing him only a short distance is to charge a beam attack at him while he is recovering)
when you lose the MS you will have to recover. (like the recover ESF already has)

when somebody wins the MS the lock ends, after that they can lock on each other again (if the other player is still alive) or the looser can just run away. (u can stil chase him ofcourse)!

i hope my english is DECENT!

::: EDIT ::::

there is a litle problem: PING!

ok .. this can be solved like this:

HL has a "pushlatency" command ... am i wrong?

so when u invite some one to a melee, the ping will be adjusted using the pushlatency (or something similer) so that low pinger's ping will go highr temporarly to match the other players ping! (like some one is 30 and the other is 80, the 30's dude latency will be pushed so that it's 80, or they both will be pushed 85)

:::: 2nd EDIT :::::
i edit lots of stuff in the post :p

also. if ur the one in the MS u don't see super fast attacks, u seee them fast but no tlike in the show .. cuz you want to know what the hell is going on to determine wehter to block or to punch or to kick!

BUT ... the other players (that are not in the MS) will see it as a blurry super fast punches and kicks!

Best answers
i think they should make it so when you press the melee button (default 1) twice you be able to use trunks's sword, like piccolos scatter shot(You press it twice and scatter shot is selected, you know..), when you swoop he aims the tip of it behind him like hes getting ready for a big swing then he swings it at the oponnent causes extra melee damage but a little slower moving speed(mabye).Then when you deselect it he puts it away , and when you select it he pulls it out. I also think that he should be able to lose it, if he is knocked and he has it out he can loose it(not every time hes knocked) and you can go get it on the ground(he should be able to see it on the scouter as a blue dot. I also think that he shouldnt be able to block when he has it out(its only fair). aight thats wut i think would be excelent to see in the next patch or something. i really hope u consider it.....but hell do wut u want
:]

Best answers
Melee in its current state leaves major problems versus multiple enemies. Locking on to an enemy helps but with the ranges people fly and the amount of people on servers it hard to use melee if some one is going to hit you from behind after your hit someone else. People often over look melee because energy waves are more effective and much quicker kills. Melee needs to be improved in aspects of targeting and a quick weaker attack should be added. Overall the current system works if you know how to use it, but to learn how to use it is extremely hard to learn and master.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Umm.
Heres my suggesting on MeLee for the next version
The dashing+hitting should be the same. But it should only be
a part of a combo. Like say you hold down Attack 1 when ariving
close to your enemy. you can start beating the crap out of your
enemy w/ super fast punches/kicks, And if your enemy doesn't
block fast enough (aka lags or hesitates) the last move performed
in the combo should be the drop kick or axehandle :D

Also forgot to add.
You enemy could block during the beat up session :D
Also it wouldn't be impossible... I mean if you got trunks to do
his finishing buster the same way he did it in the series... Imagine
how fast you can move yer arms when punching/kicking yers enemies D:

Best answers
At the moment, primary fire causes the player to swoop once locked on. I think that once you've locked on, the duck key (CTRL) should cause the player to swoop instead. This frees up the primary fire key.

Primary fire will be light attack, alternative fire will be heavy attack.

Both light and heavy are "charged" (like the beams) as you approach an enemy. When you get close enough, they are automatically unleashed, like the current system where you hold down alt fire to hit.

Heavy attack is, basically, the current attack with few modifications. Damage done to enemy and the distance they are smashed depends on your pl (of course) and on the charge of the attack. A small charge will have about a half of the impact of the current melee attack. However, the recovery time increases accordingly: if you have a full charge but they block it, they're going to have plenty of time to deal with you as you try to recover your balance. It's up to you to decide whether it's worth the risk.

Light attack is different. Instead of delivering a bigger hit the longer it's charged, it delivers more hits. A barely charged light attack will result in you smacking them only a few times, a fully charged attack will see you performing a long chain of light hits on the fool. There is only a second or so recovery time whatever you do. You could inflict a fair amount of damage this way, potentially more than with just one big blow. There is a catch; if they block a light attack, a melee struggle ensues. And if the enemy's pl is significantly higher, you're going to get a severe beating.

The attack bar charges faster if
a) you're in Turbo
b) you're swooping
c) you teleport.
This effectively allows you to trade ki for extra damage; if you botch the attack, of course, you're going to be hung out to dry, since you won't be able to teleport/turbo out of harm's way, or recover quickly.

Best answers
Ok my 2 cents

More variety of attacks, currently there is just a few hits, Mainly either, up, down or across. Be nice to have a random attack pool so its not the same every time.

Also, currently, when both people are swooping toward each other and you meet, you just un turbo and turn around at each other, I think it should be a power struggle.

Heavy attacks are a good idea, for that person whos not looking :D

Yeah.

GJ ESF team, best DBZ mod ever, still bugs but its all good:yes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom