Obscure Film Recommendation Thread

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
I'm good at making list threads, here is another.

Make film recommendations here. Please nothing huge and mainstream everyone has heard of (ie Spiderman, etc).

I'll start.

Dead Alive. Peter Jackson's early work. It has unintentionally? funny scenes of crazy gore. The dialogue is okay, but the acting is hilariously bad, you'll laugh your ass off at it. The gore is not for the squeemish although it is obviously fake.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Optional22 said:
Dead Alive.
You gotta love the lawnmower scene. :D

I'd have to recommend Black Christmas... it seriously ****s with your head.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Now that was a good movie.

Twilight Samurai:

Seibei Iguchi, a low-ranking samurai, leads a life without glory as a bureaucrat in the mid-XIX century Japan. A widower, he has charge of two daughters (whom he adores) and a senile mother; he must therefore work in the fields and accept piecework to make ends meet. New prospects seem to open up when Tomoe, his long-time love, divorces a brutal husband. However, even as the Japanese feudal system is unraveling, Seibei remains bound by the code of honour of the samurai and by his own sense of social precedences. The consequences are cruel.
Source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0351817/plotsummary

There's only two fights in the movie (and they were good fights), but it's more centered around how Seibei copes with the ever-changing world around him.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
THX-1138. The only movie directed by George Lucas that I like. You can download it on Xbox Live for 240 points.

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
in china they eat dogs and its prequel old man in new cars are two really awesome movies. So funny you'll laugh your ass off.

Idiots was pretty funny as well, there is no dub though as far as I know, only subs.

been a while since I've seen them ... I should get them again :D

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Check out Idiocracy. It's made by the same guy who wrote/directed OfficeSpace. It's about a very average soldier who is frozen by the army as a test, but over the next 500 years or so, the fact that inbred, stupid hicks have children like crazy while educated, urban people wait till their 30s to have kids, pushes the intelligent people out of existence.

As a result, when he's unfrozen--the entire population of the world has been reduced to about the intelligence of the people today who love Paris Hilton's shows and Jerry Springer. The very average Joe becomes the most intelligent person in the world.

It's funny, but it lacks subtlety, like many of South Park's episodes. It's worth watching.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Idiots was pretty funny as well, there is no dub though as far as I know, only subs.
I saw that last year in one of my classes. Very weird, but great movie.

I can't remember what the exact name of it is, but it's a movie about a guitar player who's also a samurai and he goes to Las Vegas in a post apocalyptic world to become the next "King" (i.e. Elvis Presley).

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Party Monster. Totally worth it to see Seth Green and Macaulay Culkin act like total queens to eachother. It somewhat of the same vein as Trainspotting and Requiem for a dream as it shows how drugs can really **** people over with no happy ending, but it's also biographical, based on the lives of Club Kids Michael Alig and James St. James.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh god, "Dead Alive" is absolutely GREAT. You should also see "Bad Taste". Anyway, this is my kind of thread. Remember that my Japanese Degree had a heavy focus on Media Studies, especially 1960s film.

Tokyo Drifter (1966) - Great Yakuza flick directed by Suzuki Seijun. He was denegrated in his time for the kind of movies he put out, but now he's hailed as far ahead of his time. It's much more than your average shoot 'em up Yakuza movie.

Death by Hanging (1971) - Done by director Oshima Nagisa. It's a rather dark comedy and commentary on the Korean situation of the time. A Korean murder convict survives his own hanging and rhe police need to figure out what the hell to do about it.

The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On (1987) - Done by Hara Kazuo, this film is a documentary of a guy who was a soldier in the Japanese Army in WWII at Papua New Guinea. He's trying to expose the crimes against their own soldiers but he's really mentally imbalanced and the way he goes about it is really screwed up. Good film though.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Check out Idiocracy. It's made by the same guy who wrote/directed OfficeSpace.
I second this.

Further I'd recommend you all check out the movies Snatch and Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels, both directed and written by Guy Ritchie. They're comedic British films with quick witty dialogue set in the crime world of England's mobsters and drug dealers. They're brilliant pieces of work that'll become classic to you after you watch em through.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I really liked Crank... but I'm not sure if it's completely obscure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom