New Map System Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Best answers
I'm Concerted with the optimization as well o_O. Will this run it at least decently? Please Reply.

Geforce 9600GT oc'd edition - AMD X2 2.7ghz - 2gb ram.
and my other pc...,
Geforce 8600GT - Intel Core Duo 3.0ghz - 4gb ram.

o_o o_o o_o

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
That would also take a long as time, MC :p Sure, you might get some hits from that range....maybe... You'd get like zero score. And I guarantee that you're not going to be hitting anything at massive range with SB/DB.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm Concerted with the optimization as well o_O. Will this run it at least decently? Please Reply.

and my other pc...,

o_o o_o o_o

These shouldnt be a problem.

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers

and my other pc...,

o_o o_o o_o
Either thats a lousy joke or you are trying to be smart.

No our requitements are not bigger than crysis >.>

Legerdemain Cheese Spread
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Best answers
Either thats a lousy joke or you are trying to be smart.

No our requitements are not bigger than crysis >.>
looks like to me that..the bigger the map is the slower it loads.

Just a nice person :)
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Best answers
Can this run it somewhat decent?

GTX 1337 geforce
12 Core 5GHZ
20GB RAM

lolz...
I think it won't be higher than 6000 geforce series 1gb RAM and 1 core GHZ 2,7

It won't support dual core right?

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
No, we cannot multithread the renderer....I'm pretty sure not anyway. But hell, new engines are barely doing that now - most pretty poorly at that.

🎈 Advanced
Best answers
looks like to me that..the bigger the map is the slower it loads.
Have a look at Dungeon Siege. The entire game is essentially brought to the player at once without any load times due to resource proximity streaming. Larger maps don't necessary equate to to longer load times (or even more memory usage) if the implementation is done well.

No, we cannot multithread the renderer....I'm pretty sure not anyway. But hell, new engines are barely doing that now - most pretty poorly at that.
Right. Breaking the renderer step down into multiple threads would be a poor decision anyhow since you need synchronicity among components. Trying to offset the shadow, LOD, or any CPU-dependent step would cause jerky artifacts all-around since locking threads to update them as a whole would be a performance deficit on the rendering step rather than a gain.

However, a separate thread for resource streaming, physics, network code, AI, audio processing, and a few other areas wouldn't hurt if set up properly.

I agree completely that newer games are barely tapping into multiple core potentials as much as they could be. Given that we'll be up to several hundred core CPUs in a couple years, it's high time that software developers begin to divide their applications into micro-manageable snippets/sub-processes. One of the few areas that seems to receive the most benefit from a multi-core architecture in a scalable way is that of off-line scene renderers that usually perform ray-tracing or other global illumination calculations -- which can easily be segmented/batched up into as many threads as need be without a lot of time-sensitive complications. Sadly, one large issue is the difficulty of using and building a design to serve multi-threaded programming in (most) languages versus conventional types.

Hopefully in the coming years, we'll see some additional libraries and methodologies pop up that help to standardize and simplify the process to a level where practicality in implementation will overstate design shortcomings.

Last edited:
Best answers
I don't know if it's been brought up yet but, if it takes 10 minutes to fly to an area where the battle is taking place, why not just set the spawn points to be within a certain proximity of the majority of players fighting? Or maybe within a certain proximity of where you died since it is most likely that you'd have died around where players are fighting.

Although back when I made a few maps, you only could make spawn points. Not sure if you could program the spawn points nowadays.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
It doesnt take 10 minutes to fly where the action is, it takes ten minutes to get anywhere if you start flying off into the horizon. The spawn points are already where the action is and should take place.

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't know if it's been brought up yet but, if it takes 10 minutes to fly to an area where the battle is taking place, why not just set the spawn points to be within a certain proximity of the majority of players fighting? Or maybe within a certain proximity of where you died since it is most likely that you'd have died around where players are fighting.

Although back when I made a few maps, you only could make spawn points. Not sure if you could program the spawn points nowadays.
We never say it takes 10 minutes. We said that we make map boundaries so that it doesnt take.

But making those boundaries is the mappers job. And there may be some comunity maps that ignore that warning.

With the ESF official maps a maximum time for the longest possible joiurney in one of the current maps is about 1 minute.

And thats diagonal from one end to another.

Best answers
This has definitely sparked my interest. Large maps is a good idea no doubt. Can probably use the 32 players per server now. Also the game is just looking really good too.

Grega, What's your computer specs to be getting only 50fps

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Best answers
I just hope to see a release before 2012 of December xD. Just kid, just kid...
You guys are doing a great job, so just keep on doing what you are doing so we get a great game x]

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
This has definitely sparked my interest. Large maps is a good idea no doubt. Can probably use the 32 players per server now. Also the game is just looking really good too.

Grega, What's your computer specs to be getting only 50fps
Enough to run the new games. Besides if i tweak the settings a bit i get 99 clean ^^

You have to remember the inteam is unoptimized. Itll run better when its nearing completion.

brainfeeder
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I've been meaning to post in this thread, but I realize how awesome the maps are going to be and I start dancing and forget what I was thinking 20 minutes later.

What a legendary metamorphosis this Half-Life modification has gone through.

The 8 years I've have waited for this mod to be finished... WERE WORTH IT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom