New Map System Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best answers
Uh okay, well..ahem...all this HUGE maps and all..is the loading time gonna be proportionally HUGE?? And of course the FPS....uuhh...is it gonna be like, low?? On a minimum of nVidia 6 series or 7 series??

Well, anyway....THIS WAS AWESOME...but you might increase the swoop time and I would still want that teleport while swooping thing...or else we'll have a hard time getting to places.. :p

Legerdemain Cheese Spread
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Uh okay, well..ahem...all this HUGE maps and all..is the loading time gonna be proportionally HUGE?? And of course the FPS....uuhh...is it gonna be like, low?? On a minimum of nVidia 6 series or 7 series??

Well, anyway....THIS WAS AWESOME...but you might increase the swoop time and I would still want that teleport while swooping thing...or else we'll have a hard time getting to places.. :p
or they might make goku have instant transmission to go to ANY BLOCK.

Legerdemain Cheese Spread
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
That'd throw the game out of balance...and make Goku the ULTIMATE TRANSPORT DUDE....
lol ok then why not they make the swoops go forever so when you swoop you dont stop intill you want to..thats pretty a good idea

Swooping Intill you want to Stop + Swoop While Teleporting=Ultra Fast!

🎈 Advanced
Best answers
My fellow team mates didn't really pay attentions to the whole concept. It's not really rendered everything at once. Of course there are multiple index buffer and culling as well as a Level of Details system to optimize the overall performance... anyways we are improving the system while we work with it, the release version may differ from what there is now.
Ahh alright then. Just curious. Keep up the good work and don't be afraid to get verbose with technical details in news posts! Always keen on seeing the approaches developers take.

Best answers
I really wanna know about this guys...

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There are poly count limits and the boundaries are decided by the map creator or the dev team as a whole. I doubt that VBO will kill your FPS due to optimization, but you'll have to see for yourself once ESF:F is out.

If it helps, I have a GeForce 8500 and I was getting pretty decent FPS. Same story with NNK. (We use VBO as well)

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I must say that it's impressive as always, but I hope you post a long guide on how to make maps and apply all these special effects before launch ^^

Anyway thanks for your long and awesome dedication for this project.

Damaera
I know lot's of people are working on both teams ("esf,nnk") are you sharing all this new technology between the mods? or are some eye candy features esf only ?

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Damaera
I know lot's of people are working on both teams ("esf,nnk") are you sharing all this new technology between the mods? or are some eye candy features esf only ?
You could say it's a 'You help me, I help you'. Helping each other out and both getting an advantage on something that is great for both ways. But I highly doubt all new features are being shared with each other.

Last edited:
ESF Old Timer
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Good to hear the maps will be larger.
The small box where you have to fight in wasnt so good after all.
I am happy the maps will be bigger and better with the VBO system.

My question is how does the engine reconise your map if the original file is blank?
(Sorry didnt read it all maybe you allready told)

Force Pit Member
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
As long as everything runs smoothly I am happy. But either way it looks amazing as does all the other things you guys are working on. Keep it up!

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Good to hear the maps will be larger.
The small box where you have to fight in wasnt so good after all.
I am happy the maps will be bigger and better with the VBO system.

My question is how does the engine reconise your map if the original file is blank?
(Sorry didnt read it all maybe you allready told)
Thats just it. The original file is a blank. All its needd os for the game to realise that there is a map with that name. The code will then load up that blank with no collision (no clip mode) and the stuff the mapname.xml specifies.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
OMG! I just jizzed in my pants, I really think this is a great leap from the old mapping system, damn fine work guys...gonna have to get back into mapping to figure this all out, maybe I can, just graduated highschool so I got 2 months of doing nothing.

So the .bsp kind of works as a link, when it is seen it automatically lets the new map files load? hmm...

I've got an idea, it's quite farfetched, but i'm not fimiliar with this new system and how it works, but I guess it's worth a try anyway :p

The map size can be greatly increased now, so it enables space for many new features. This will probably require alot of programming which might get very complicated and I don't even know is possible. Let's say you have a map of a planet like namek for example, what if you create a system that you make the whole planet, but then you have a center point of gravity (in the middle of the planet ofcourse) and it works like an axis.

So when you are flying straight you will automatically fly around an angle which is parallel to the center point of the planet, so then you would be able to fly right around the planet and meet up at the same spot without having to change direction at all. If it doesn't make sense, here is an illustration:

Hope you understand what I am saying and happy mapping!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Basicaly, you would try to integrate a system similair like used in the game "Prey" where you would be able to walk upside down. I was thinking of this yesterday as well, it would add some really cool features if it were possible. Plus imagine the maps, not just 1 planet to fight on, but a small solar system with multiple planets/asteroids might even be possible, as the mapsizes are virtually limitless.

I do however think this would need some massive coding efforts, and I don't think the team wants to do so much work to invent a new gravity system in Half Life. :p

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
OMG! I just jizzed in my pants, I really think this is a great leap from the old mapping system, damn fine work guys...gonna have to get back into mapping to figure this all out, maybe I can, just graduated highschool so I got 2 months of doing nothing.

So the .bsp kind of works as a link, when it is seen it automatically lets the new map files load? hmm...

I've got an idea, it's quite farfetched, but i'm not fimiliar with this new system and how it works, but I guess it's worth a try anyway :p

The map size can be greatly increased now, so it enables space for many new features. This will probably require alot of programming which might get very complicated and I don't even know is possible. Let's say you have a map of a planet like namek for example, what if you create a system that you make the whole planet, but then you have a center point of gravity (in the middle of the planet ofcourse) and it works like an axis.

So when you are flying straight you will automatically fly around an angle which is parallel to the center point of the planet, so then you would be able to fly right around the planet and meet up at the same spot without having to change direction at all. If it doesn't make sense, here is an illustration:

Hope you understand what I am saying and happy mapping!
+1

Serious Sam 1 has something like this implemented. Perhaps with some research, we'd get something like that ingame :)

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why? Because it's not possible or not planned?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, anything that isn't planned...can be planned later of course. ;) I wouldn't mind waiting a couple months for this extra feature. And like I said, imagine the possibilities. No other mod has ever done this before, exactly what I spoke of in the other thread...designing features that are unique for ESF.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Damaera
We're not sharing everything, but I'll give you a few examples of what we are sharing: bloom, outlines, and VBO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom