Just simple question.. If you had the FrostBite 2.0 Engine ..

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Let's be honest, environment destruction would be great fun, it really would..... but only for a few minutes (real minutes not frieza vs goku minutes). Once everything has been destroyed by a few beams there wouldn't be a map left, just a void where the world used to be. You could have it respawn I guess but then you'd have to avoid being in the areas that the terrain used to be in otherwise it would spawn with you inside it, and making sure you aren't in a place that used to be terrain would be difficult in a heated match. And I'm sure there are other problems people could come up with.

In short, it would be cool and really fun, but not worth the hassle and lack of level.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not like everything must be destructable, just that they haven't implemented ANY destruction whatsoever.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In the future, there will be procedurally generated maps which can go on for Infinity. Having a DBZ mod then would allow for the best applications of Destruction.

Yus.

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
hlev: yes because once it's destroyed, that's that, it's gone in the first few minutes and doesn't come back until a level change. Unless it respawns but then there's some issues with that. In games where rounds are short (like the console games) that's fine, but in games where the map tends not to change as fast it can seem almost pointless. That's my thoughts anyway. :|

Z: On paper, sounds awesome, in practice, could make it hard to find people. :p

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not if it is populated by every player on the planet. ^_^

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
That sounds like an expensive server. XD

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Are they as high quality as me though? ;)

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Let's be honest, environment destruction would be great fun, it really would..... but only for a few minutes (real minutes not frieza vs goku minutes). Once everything has been destroyed by a few beams there wouldn't be a map left, just a void where the world used to be. You could have it respawn I guess but then you'd have to avoid being in the areas that the terrain used to be in otherwise it would spawn with you inside it, and making sure you aren't in a place that used to be terrain would be difficult in a heated match. And I'm sure there are other problems people could come up with.

In short, it would be cool and really fun, but not worth the hassle and lack of level.
In 1.2.3 the most people use melee with the exception of 1-3 people who try to kill from afar the guys who are flying around(depends server's numbers), well I don't know if that will change or not in the final, but if not then the map will not become a dessert in a few minutes.

Even though I would really like for a destructive environment in ESF:Final, it's not gonna happen.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
In 1.2.3 the most people use melee with the exception of 1-3 people who try to kill from afar the guys who are flying around(depends server's numbers), well I don't know if that will change or not in the final, but if not then the map will not become a dessert in a few minutes.

Even though I would really like for a destructive environment in ESF:Final, it's not gonna happen.
If a high intensity laser beam went through a building, the building would not collapse, so what makes the assumption that the ground will be left to just rubble?
If it was shot at it's center of gravity from below, it would fall down like 9/11, and would leave a huge mountain of junk.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah but the thing is, right now we just don't have the technology, or the resources for it. Nvidia Physx adds extra rubble and details in a game, but it requires a dedicated Graphic card to be truly effective, and right now its mainly for aesthetics.

So I guess all we can do is sit tight and hope the next generation fulfills our wishes.

Everyone's Favorite Weirdo :D
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not like everything must be destructable, just that they haven't implemented ANY destruction whatsoever.

Actually, yes we DO have destruction implemented. We have a video of it thats months old some where.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually, yes we DO have destruction implemented. We have a video of it thats months old some where.
Make the god damn Mr. Satan's statue destructable, then we can talk.
All the green places should be destructable too.

Last edited:
Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Its not destruction unless every particle is replaced by these.

[video=youtube;MuWuTc5agVA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuWuTc5agVA[/video]

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
i wish there was a half life 3 engine that is as nice as CryEngine & frostbite engines..

which u can play around with easily as half life 1.

would be nice cuz then esf would also be just copy pasted in it XD

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Yeah but the thing is, right now we just don't have the technology, or the resources for it. Nvidia Physx adds extra rubble and details in a game, but it requires a dedicated Graphic card to be truly effective, and right now its mainly for aesthetics.

So I guess all we can do is sit tight and hope the next generation fulfills our wishes.

Apparently you haven't seen the very first red faction which was released in 2001. Not having the technology is an excuse they are more than capable to develope such an application. ALOT of the environment in the first red faction was destructable and I can't emphasize the amount of fun and innovativeness with having the ability to destroy practically anything and physically using the environment to your advantage whether it be making cover by destroying the ground or using inadamant objects. I spent countless hours maneuvering threw oraphises I've created. Imagine cutting rubble in half using the destructo disk , or hiding behind a boulder waiting for someone to appear then shooting threw the boulder and killing them , or you could kick the boulder and it flys towards then and hurts them badly or they block it hitting it back at you. The countless innovations and ample amount of fun that you would obtain from such thing. I'f I were a developer and knew alot about coding , mapping , animating etc I would take it upon myself to integrate such a idea. and I really wish the developement team would decide on making everyone pay for this game because we really don't deserve to get this game for free due to the amount of hard work put on the game I would most definatly pay for it. Everyone who hasn't played the game should because it was ahead of its time.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Apparently, I have played the first Red Faction. What it did was destruction in its most basic sense. It just calculated the splash damage of attacks and made that amount of predetermined ground disappear. What Guerilla did however, is much more fanciful, making structures with building blocks of sorts that would fall apart when enough force was applied. But that in itself limits how much you can modify the engine, thus the lack of mods for it.

And stuart, everyone imagines a game/engine like that in their head, its just once you get to the implementation of it that you realize how friggin' hard it is. Right now Physics is taking a backseat in gaming, since everyone is so addicted with eye candy. But with another jump in technology there is only so far you can take Photorealism, in the end they will have no choice but to pick up the slack in the Physics and the AI department.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Apparently, I have played the first Red Faction. What it did was destruction in its most basic sense. It just calculated the splash damage of attacks and made that amount of predetermined ground disappear. What Guerilla did however, is much more fanciful, making structures with building blocks of sorts that would fall apart when enough force was applied. But that in itself limits how much you can modify the engine, thus the lack of mods for it.

And stuart, everyone imagines a game/engine like that in their head, its just once you get to the implementation of it that you realize how friggin' hard it is. Right now Physics is taking a backseat in gaming, since everyone is so addicted with eye candy. But with another jump in technology there is only so far you can take Photorealism, in the end they will have no choice but to pick up the slack in the Physics and the AI department.
With that said, im kinda waiting to see what ATI will do with their OpenCL librarys. On paper it all sounds superb with more uses that Physx itself.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers

It is still a form of physics and destruction the wall you chip off or what ever had some form of physics that allowed it to act moderatly realistic , wouldn't implementing something like that in esf easy?

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It is still a form of physics and destruction the wall you chip off or what ever had some form of physics that allowed it to act moderatly realistic , wouldn't implementing something like that in esf easy?
How would that be easy. Especially since if you really want good Physx support you need 2 GFX cards in your computer, just so that 1 can handle the Physx, otherwise youd just be lagging like crazy cause your GPU would be occupied calculating the Physx to even bother with the actual GFX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom