HOWing, what's your take?

What is your take on HOWing?

• HOWing is for newbies only.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HOWing should be widely accepted.

• HOWing should be done only in moderation.

• Total voters
Best answers
i think that was a bit harsh lynx

the guy was only stating his point...

But in a way i agree he should have read before posting but u didnt have to be so mean :cry:

:laff:

Best answers
The guy should've stated his point AFTER he read the thread, not before. It's as simple as that, now be quiet and keep on topic.

Best answers
gesus wat side of the bed did u wake up on...

chil out man

u take things to seriosly in here

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Code_Blood_Red said:
nothing in the game is cheap TECHNICALLY because: if you're l33t enough you can get around it. Except for spammers of any kind who are passing of lameness for skill
.... I'd have to agree with lynx on this one, did you read any of this before posting? Spammers also, aren't too hard to avoid.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The only spammer who is difficult to avoid, for me, are people who (on an infinite time server) spam Gallitgun,(which is not a threat), then acquire enough power to go SSJ, THEN spam Final Flash. That's hard to avoid, but I generally don't play on infinite time servers, so it all works out.

Best answers
Whenever I play ESF now, I don't bother with melee... there's just too many people who are too godly (IMO) at it. I just can't compete... maybe i'm just not too serious about being good @ ESF to bother but I also try and melee from time to time and I just can't understand how some people do that stuff... 1st they teleport around like nuts and maybe power up for 1 second and they seem to be full ki again and they weren't even transformed, although I think the server was a bit laggy cause I had about 1 second lag inbetween actions.

The main reason i'm not into melee is because it's just not fun IMO. Flying around in repetitive circles and using teleport and then recharging over and over and over only to score 10-20 dmg (unless you combo) is just boring. Sure you can get really skilled in it and do a whole bunch of moves... but why bother. Once I got into a spinning contest trying to hit the other guys thats when I said this is pointless and lame. I dunno maybe I got a bit too much Quake/HL deathmatch mentality and just not interested in going through that whole process in attempts of trying to hit someone... just too much work.

IMO Generic Beam should also allow you to teleport while charging it (regardless of who you're using or if they're transformed). It just seems like there's a incompatibility between melee and beams. You can't incorporate both as using a beam seems to handicap you in speed (if any) and time, and with melee well... maybe I just don't feel like 5 minutes of spinning and teleporting to ultimately kill or be killed by someone.

Now after reading all that... On to the topic of HOWing :)

IMO whatever works works. In my experience with the people i've played... HOWing would never do anything, they got their stuff down and despite all their teleporting and spinning... they always kee themself well charged. HOWing would only work vs people like me (On a melee skill level from 1 to 10 i'd probably be a 4) although I do use teleport and all that and generally I don't rush a guy if he HOWs me once... i'll just stop close enough to him and see what he does and then maybe throw a few ki balls at him to get him to go. But in my experience after seeing the good players (I think they're good) play... I have NO DOUBT that a HOWer would be crushed without landing a hit. So IMO the only victims of a HOWer are new people or people that generally don't care for melee and are only using it to defend themself against a melee'r.

So all I'm saying is that HOWer's don't really have any affect on the people who care to melee and the really only new people are victims of it and if they decide to learn how to defeat HOWers well they're on their way to being just like the good players and the ones who don't bother... well they're where they wanna be ;P

Best answers
Of course I read the topic Lynxy. Do I look like you?

Anyways

You don't like HOWing because it has removed "skilled" meleeing from the game. Well, for the level of complexity the 1.1/1.0 melee system has, I think that it's a great idea. It was either Ki or Power level as a decider for who would win in head to head, and power level would just be ridiculous.

You rarely get a good fight now? I don't see why that is. People you used to have "good fights" with only HOW now? or the other alternative is that people you used to bash around a lot can get in hits by "HOWing"? (I think I hate that word too) I'm not being a **** about it, I'm genuinely interested in how HOWing has made a difference in the goodness of fights you have now as opposed to 1.0.

As you for Lynxy, no ones like to be threatened by a maniac with a gun. Especially not me. It was pretty inapproriate.

Best answers
Yes, you heard me, I "rarely" get a good fight now. And with good fight I mean a fight which isn't won be only headons, but by actual skill. I'm sure a few "HOWers" are talented, but they still suck. In 1.0 where wasn't a second option to win battles, you just had to give it your all to win.

Second, let's refresh this. With rarely getting a good fight I'm not saying others can't hit me and I'm far too good to even play with them. Not that you've said this, but just a reminder. There are some people who I can have "good" fights with, in my opinion that is.

A good fight isn't just a win, for me it's a few things more. And if you don't understand that, quit replying to my post. If you want the truth, HOWers bore the crap out of me. What fun is there to just sit and headon? And I'm fairly sure another reply comes with "But if you're l33t you can get around it". Honestly, I don't give a damn, it's still boring. It's just sad to see people play like that because they can't do it another way. They just suck, period.

These are matters of opinions, not facts. Some people think it's all about the win and go for it, headon. I don't mind, go for it. I've quit trying to tell people what I think of it to try to get some sense in them, it's useless trying anyway.

On a final note, I don't have any problems fighting these "HOWers" at all, for those who were about to say I can't get around it or something. It's -boring and -sad- to see, that's all. As for the good word, they suck.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
if this "HOWing" really bothers you why don't you come join me at my alpha 2.0 server. melee is less than useless. cya there

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lets see... *see's the 5 pages of this thread* dont you ever look scruffie? all of this thread states it X_x

Scruffie

S
I think it's become quite apparent that I do not check all 5 pages of a thread which is about something I've never heard of.

I never installed 1.1, so someone enlighten me please.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
HeadOnWhoring.. in 1.1 melee is based on KI. How full your blue KI bar is. So whoever recharges the most wins. Simple explanation. Some people never attack unless they have just recharged a split second before you get to them. HOWing.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
skill = side hit, tele hits, side tele hits. not just charging straight at you and hope you dont move.

Scruffie

S
I think it's the kind of thing newbies should do (i.e. me) until they develop their teleporting skills more. Melee is more or less skill less without teleporting, so until they've developed teleporting, all they have is skill less fighting. So, it's a newbie thing.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pain said:
skill = side hit, tele hits, side tele hits. not just charging straight at you and hope you dont move.

Well let's all not just assume that side hits are the greatest factor in melee. If both opponents did the side hit trick every single time people would stop swooping altogether. I say people just need to stop complaining until 1.2 comes along.

Best answers
Since I'm the one that created this stupid term, I'm going to be the one to destroy it. From here on, HOW'ing as a term does not exist. Head on Whore (c) 2003. I own it. I'm killing it. End of story. I'm tired of having to explain to people what the REAL definition of a term I don't even use anymore. It's old. It's tired. It's done. Rant on about LSM or something, but NOT head on whoring.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well he made the word, but that deosnt really matter... No ones going to listen to him...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom