How long wil 1.2 mele fites generly be??

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
its basically the same bubble they use for the cell trans -_-

and

the rocks dont lag you unless you turn on 3drocks

Best answers
CrackerJack said:
Welcome to half-life my friend. :S
Thats kinda hard.
if some guy can get shaders (I think pixel, not sure though) to work in an hl mod, why can't there be splashing waves?

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
NightSage said:
if some guy can get shaders (I think pixel, not sure though) to work in an hl mod, why can't there be splashing waves?
It would be GL specific, and not worth the effort...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mike88 said:
Well i would suggest they move it to Half-Life 2 but they wont so i wont. Unless they come out with the thing that lets you transfer the code, which i heard they will, but hey, who am i to say such things
Thats like starting the mod over again.

Best answers
umm.. about the meele system stuff, and when someone blocks good and stuff, why dont make the heavy atackt go through the block? i dont say rip em apart, but even if they block, do damage of 3 or something. lots of beat em up games have stuff like that. and if the opponent still blocks all atacks you should be able to grab him. in lots of beat em ups you have to throw the opponent when he just blocks.

or you could do some kind of instant kiblast while meleeing to get his guard down.. dunno... something like that..

take a look at some other dbz games and look how they handle blockspammers (lol)

Best answers
Pcjoe said:
We are NOT doing rock paper scissors. It makes no sense on a online game like this, how would you improve at it? It's like fighting blind folded and hope you hit the guy in the face. I can see some of you guys saying "well you could get better at predicting the guys movement." Heh, what bs...
"He's going to pick rock... but then he might counter my paper with sicssors... but he already chose rock 2 times in a row, he'll go with scissors.... but he might be thinking that i'm thinking that so i would be better off with rock.. but then...."
You cant predict stuff like that, probably be better off buttonmashing.
well i dont think it would be such a blind thing. theres a game NHL HITS where to win a face off you play rock paper scicors. For each choice there is a slightly different animation so you have to really concentrate to see what the opponent chose. Then you have to be quick about figuring out which button would beat his. I dont personally like this idea for a dbz fighting game though.

Best answers
MajinBejita said:
umm.. about the meele system stuff, and when someone blocks good and stuff, why dont make the heavy atackt go through the block? i dont say rip em apart, but even if they block, do damage of 3 or something. lots of beat em up games have stuff like that. and if the opponent still blocks all atacks you should be able to grab him. in lots of beat em ups you have to throw the opponent when he just blocks.

or you could do some kind of instant kiblast while meleeing to get his guard down.. dunno... something like that..

take a look at some other dbz games and look how they handle blockspammers (lol)
Am guessing if the strong attack can go through a block it should just sort of push the character off balance (sort of like being stunned but you get a "opps" I almost fell animation) for a second or 2 or less.

On top of that I’d make it so that the defender can press back along with the block to pull a character of balance for a sec (if he’s using a strong attack that would normally go through his defense). If the attack wasn't using a strong attack and the defender tried that he'd get hit as usual. Of course if he wasn't blocking at all then hes just get hit hard.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
by kanje01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcjoe
We are NOT doing rock paper scissors. It makes no sense on a online game like this, how would you improve at it? It's like fighting blind folded and hope you hit the guy in the face. I can see some of you guys saying "well you could get better at predicting the guys movement." Heh, what bs...
"He's going to pick rock... but then he might counter my paper with sicssors... but he already chose rock 2 times in a row, he'll go with scissors.... but he might be thinking that i'm thinking that so i would be better off with rock.. but then...."
You cant predict stuff like that, probably be better off buttonmashing.

well i dont think it would be such a blind thing. theres a game NHL HITS where to win a face off you play rock paper scicors. For each choice there is a slightly different animation so you have to really concentrate to see what the opponent chose. Then you have to be quick about figuring out which button would beat his. I dont personally like this idea for a dbz fighting game though.
that was just an example i didn't mean you play rock paper sissors for hitting i meant an attack beats another and is equal to the third looses to the next so when you block
-if the blocker choses an attack that beats the attack of the attacker he hits the attacker
-if the attackes are equal boath players throw a fiew punches (no damage)
-if it is weaker the attacker hits
but since you have more than 3 attacks there is a lot of posible combos
+boath get to fight it wuldn't be so onesided
ofcorse advanced melee is done so this could be in later versions

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He meant it as a comparasin, the way you set it up is like Rock, Paper, Scissors. Which he just said he isn't going to do.

If you can replace the different options into Joe's little passage, it's rock, paper, scissor-like gamplay. Sub it in like so:

"He's going to pick attack A... but then he might counter it with attack A... but he already chose attack C 2 times in a row, he'll go with attack B.... but he might be thinking that i'm thinking that so i would be better off with attack C.. but then...."
If I can fit your system into that passage, then it's rock paper scissor-like.

[offtopic]
NHL hits was great, so damn easy :D
[/offtopic]

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Question: I'm wondering how will melee be determined with PL differences.. because as far as I know Krillin wasn't able to block a punch from Brolly. (example of course I know Brolly isn't in ESF.) Will a much stronger player be able to hit hard and do damage even if the attack is blocked? Or will they just do more damage when their hits do connect? I'd like to know how you intend to handle this.. or what your main focus is on it so that we can elaborate.

Suggestion: I'm wondering... if instead of having the combos come up and block them as you see arrows, if it could be changed so that when your opponents combo starts they have a short delay before starting an attack and that is when you would block that certain attack. This would add a degree of visual skill so that players would need to watch and learn which attacks their opponents are doing in order to block them effectively.

Ex: "Dead or Alive" fighting sim.

This also keeps both players focused and into an intense gameplay. The attacker putting in combos, and the defender constantly blocking them as they come. This adds a much larger degree of skill to the game because the defender would have to constantly watch his opponents movements and stances to know the proper block. Therefore there would be more mess ups and hits connecting.

Although i'm sure that would take some animation tweaking I feel it'd be a nice way to handle it instead of simply blocking the hits as the arrows come and then watching it play out.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm wondering... if instead of having the combos come up and block them as you see arrows, if it could be changed so that when your opponents combo starts they have a short delay before starting an attack and that is when you would block that certain attack. This would add a degree of visual skill so that players would need to watch and learn which attacks their opponents are doing in order to block them effectively.

Ex: "Dead or Alive" fighting sim.

This also keeps both players focused and into an intense gameplay. The attacker putting in combos, and the defender constantly blocking them as they come. This adds a much larger degree of skill to the game because the defender would have to constantly watch his opponents movements and stances to know the proper block. Therefore there would be more mess ups and hits connecting.

Although i'm sure that would take some animation tweaking I feel it'd be a nice way to handle it instead of simply blocking the hits as the arrows come and then watching it play out.
I really like that. It would also take time for player's skills to improve because they would have to study which stances and how an opponent moves determines which attack they are going to use next.
I don't think it would work in ESF for two reason though.

The first is that the team wants to reach as broad an audience as possible through creating simple yet fast gameplay that anyone with an average level of skill can jump into without being at too much of disadvantage primarily because they haven't played as much as some other people have. At least I think so, though I may be wrong or partially wrong.

The second is that the current melee system works the way it does so that even people who have a slow connection and lag a bit won't find themselves being owned because they're seeing what's happening 5 or ten seconds ago. Once again I'm not sure of this, I just think I remember reading something to this effect a few months ago.

EDIT: Actually, perhaps if the arrow system and the visual system could be combined then it could work. Players could use both at the same time while they're getting used to the melee system, and turn off the arrows when they're confident enough or want to build up their skills quickly.

ex. Arrow system = Training wheels

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom