Halorin's Melee Concept

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Halorin said:
Make some sense, Hibiki.. Please. Just because I have my own idea of what melee should be like doesn't mean I wouldn't be alright with someone else's, namely the ESF team's. If you have nothing of your own to contribute other than dumb references to Tron and games nothing like ESF itself, then just stop posting altogether. It's old now, really old. Stay on topic. Your opinion's been posted. The end.
woah now temper temper just because someone has there own opinion on ideas doesnt mean u can go off and tell them to shut up and that everything they say is stupid

if you didnt want opinions on ur idea then dont ask for it and if u do want opinions dont act like ur idea is the be all end all of anything esf

so eather dont post ur idea and ask for opinions then go off on wild flames because they did what u wanted or accept that u asked for ideas and got them but dont go off saying that peoples ideas arent ontopic and that they should stop posting

Best answers
Erm ~ wtf all these "this is no skill" ppl want ? Do u feel cool if u can say : whoo look , im soo skilled at ESF , wow ... This is a play for Fun modification , and u will see in the new version pll with more experience will beat ppl with less ~ thats the same in every game ... So just stop complaining about this skill **** and just wait for ESF 1.2 ~

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
playing online without skill sucks thats just my oppinnion though

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The chat log of Joe explaining the concept of the new 1.2 melee to Sonic Boyster and some others shows a better representation of his idea. This new way isn't "teh ghey" yet; at first is sounded a little lopsided to me but then I read the chat log (which is buried deep in another thread) and the way Joe explains it there is that the autopunch/stun thing is more of a BEGINNING to the advanced melee combat excursion. As we all see it on the front page, it appears to be the MAIN part.

Besides like I said before: swoop for 15 dmg and knockback for 2 seconds, or swoop for 6-12 1hp-a-piece autopunches and have a "stun" (which is really more of a model lockup...think of it like the old wrestling games) which then leads into subsequent melee combat.

Joe also explained some of the great stuff you can do, like have a guy pinned against a wall as you beat on him for more damage and such. It just sounded a lot cooler in the chat log; you should go and read it if you haven't.

In other news...people complaining about the melee need to get over it. I'm sure the team is not daunted; for every player we lose (a very small handful) we gain five more. This Mod is the most popular one on ModDB as of last week in four out of five categories; if you want to gripe, gripe. But Joe left in a cvar to bring the old melee back serverside, so if you really don't like advanced melee, you can turn it off.

So i don't see why anyone has the gaul to complain, when Joe lets us have our cake and eat it too.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Let's just sit this one out, if it's released and everyone thinks it's crap, I'm sure the coders will get molested :D

Best answers
Let's just stay on topic, eh? This thread is about my melee concept, not about complaining. So either start posting about my concept, or don't post at all. I don't want to see my thread die because people want to talk about things having nothing to do with anything important at all.

Anyway, things could always be added for more attack options, Darktooth. Take a look at the boosted swoop thread. That sort of thing could be the 'heavier' side of an added attack spectrum. I'd rather you not compare my melee concept to the team's in that, well, you can't say anything about it since it's supposed to be under wraps. I just made this thread so I could hear people's response to it, and changes could be made. Take Darksun for example in the other thread. He's opened up a lot of possibilities in my melee concept. I just wanted to know what people thought. But I don't think people like Hibiki understand that just coming in here and saying, "Oh this is no skill. Look at ZoE," and not really providing any reasoning for anything is just hindering the cause.

Another thing that I like about my melee concept is that it's quick enough to be effectively performed on more than one person if I ever get teamed up on. I don't know anything about the team's concept, but if it's supposed to be a lot more 'involved' than mine is, then how could it be worthwhile to have 2 on 1's? You probably won't be able to answer that, due to secrecy, but I think it's a valid rhetorical question. When I typed out my concept, I had many things in mind, and not just one on one situations. I was thinking of the public team game where people use both melee and beams and how quick the game is, mostly because of not wanting to get lined up for a kame. If you're talking about some melee concept that takes anything more than 4 seconds to complete, not counting any blocks or counters, then all someone will have to do is start popping beams. And that isn't my idea of 'skilled playing.'

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What if after a combo of really fast hits it could end with the throw or a hard hit which would resemble that of the current melee. Then you could then hit them while they were rolling or flaling through air and keep the current "combo" system we have now. Or even grab them mid air and throw them. If this is already being planned then kudos but it sounds like theres no big hit that sends the person across the level anymore which I have felt since the begginging is one of the coolest things in dbz. Add in the smaller punches/kicks but leave the hit that owns people cause its just that damn cool.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Halorin, watch it. Hibiki could have warned you before now. He is in no way attacking you but you insist on making hasty generalizations about him and effectively calling him an idiot. Nobody is going to take you seriously if you just go around calling people names.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah. I don't appreciate the attitude much, either; I skip over most of the posts that are back-and-forth arguments.

All I was trying to say earlier was that there is no reason to even consider your melee idea at the moment, because we do not know how the rest of the team's works, at this point.

Besides. Yours doesn't seem "advanced" much, no offense; just a slightly improved version of the current melee based on your own present gripes with it.

If you want to complain about melee needing to take skill, well I think that's losing focus. This is a game and should be about having fun, not being an uber-l33t m3l33 artist. And if the devs have a further way to add to the feel of the game as a DBZ facsimile, then I for one am not terribly interested in dwelling in the past.

The new melee is coming. It's already partially implemented. Do you really think a brilliant coder like Joe is gonna rewrite his whole code to your personal desires?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I actaully like the idea. It sounds like a advanced version of 1.1 melee(as said before) and thats why i like it. Melee the way it is now is fast paced and entertaining, it just needs more depth. This suggestion keeps it fast and makes it more entertaining by giving it the depth it needs for the pros that like 1.1 melee, and most noobs(just a guess that most noobs would like it. I pretty much just based this on the fact that it would require more skill and get more invovled). Plus it eliminates howing which makes the idea the idea 5 times better. But the people that know what b1.2 melee is planned out like (the team) keeps insisting that the melee they have is more advanced and fun so i guess we'll all have to take there word for it and see what they have instore. Sounds like a really great idea though :yes:.

Best answers
1.1 mele takes skiil, as most of te commutity r nooblets that nevr heard of cliking on a ppl to target them :D

haven said that, theres no way nooblets wil be able to grasp a advanced version of 1.1 mele :p

Best answers
Halorin man leave it ... we'll all see what 1.2 brings ... just trust the team ffs ...

IMO These arguments are pointless ... we'll see videos soon btw soo we'll know da stuff about melee :\

Best answers
Er.. I'm not arguing about anything. I'm looking forward to seeing what the team has in store. So.. Whatever, heh.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bottom line is, you can't satisfy Hibiki, give up :p

In my opinion, it's the best COMPLETE melee suggestion from anyone "normal" around here so far, but I'd still like to see what the team whips up when v1.2b is released.

Best answers
See, I think people are getting a misconception. I'm not trying to 'overthrow' the team's melee concept. It's their friggin' mod. I just want to help out. Isn't that what a good member of a community does? I mean, not for nothing but.. I wouldn't be typing all of the stuff I type about my melee concept if I didn't want to help. I want to see what the ESF team cooks up, too. I already talked to Joe about it and he said if things don't work out with the team's concept, he'd talk to me about mine. I wasn't even expecting to hear that. I just figured the team would want some feedback about what they posted on the main page, I just happened to take it a step or two further than many may have. That's all. :yes:

Best answers
te only thing they need 'help' with is an alternanite to charged swoops, so, really u dint help at al :p

Best answers
Actually, I may have helped a lot more than you or I will ever know. PcJoe personally told me that he'd take some of the things I said into consideration and pass it off to the team. Maybe they can make a variation of what I said and fuse it with theirs to make it better. So.. Yeah. Also, maybe you should have thought about how it was just your opinion to say that the only thing they needed help with was with the charged swoop. Maybe they'll keep it in there just to spite you. I bet that'd take that smarmy little icon smirk of yours away. :rolleyes:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pcjoe took my idea into consideration too, and said he would let mastasurf know about it... but I doubt it got anywhere, since Pcjoe was probably watching some anime and just typed something down so I can let him be. :laff:

AAAAAnway, I think your idea is cool. Since you're serious about your idea, I hope Joe does take this into consideration. Although, I think the ESF Melee is really good as it is, (Except for the whole charge to swoop idea) maybe something like this can work.

This is what i'm thinking. ESF Team should hold this thought, once 1.2 comes out, we all test it out, then give our suggestions for a change, because right now, no one really knows how the ESF Melee really is.

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just one thing to add here to the whole suggestions to melee... I suggested this a while back in suggestions but I don't think anyone really saw it. After you get hit by melee and get sent flying backwards you could have the choice of recovering and stopping yourself mid air or you could just recover and let yourself keep on going the way you were. This would make wall jumping a lot more usefull and pulling out a beam would then be encouraged. Just a thought though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom