Half-life 2 or Doom3? Serious descussion

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Not everyone has a rich daddy that can afford a new pc every year

Best answers
Skatepunk (and I don't know why you've been banned but it doesn't matter) John Romero left id Software a long time ago. John Carmack is the driving force behind Doom 3, and he's anything but fat. In fact, he's a little weed.

Best answers
i would go with the hl2 since i have read that they released tools to some developers (i was just browsing through the mag, so don't quote me) as well as it's ability to run hl mods. Hl is the only game i have purchased and not regreted 3 months down the road. As for Doom, i don't know much about it other than what has been mentioned here. Since i know i'll love hl, i'll stick with that.

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
More power to carmack. I have to totally agree with saiyan pride. The man invented games as we know it and the reason halflife was so big is for its story. It was no where near the deathmatch game as quake2 was. Quake3 was a multiplayer only game for the reason that carmack likes it that way. Let the man do what he wants because once he builds the engine your going to see a **** load of games come out on it. Just think of all the games that came out on the quake 3 engine: MOH:AA, alice, star trek(whatever the spin name was), and tons more. I think I can be safe in saying that more games have come out on the quake3 engine than any other engine in history. Let carmack do his work and don't critisize it until you see it. Same goes with esf.

Best answers
I saw a demo for doom 3 and that one e3 demo of hl2 looked alot better (the long version). I voted HL2 but I haven't seen too many details about doom 3 though.

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I personally feel that Doom 3 and Halflife 2 shoudln't run on a 1ghz machine. New games should push the envelope and not make it possible for the 3 year old computers to be able to run them. I agree with you on everything except for the fact that doom3 was developed around a radeon. Doom3 was actually made around the geforce1 core. A bit ago it was said that the new radeons are running it better than the geforces but I believe this might have changed as well with the new geforce being released.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Maybe I was mistaken about the Radeon thing; I heard that way back when Carmack did the first tech demo on the mac.

What is up with the huge boners over the "fact" (remember, we haven't seen that proven...technically, Doom didn't lie--it WILL run on a GeForce256, but you'll have to shut everything off, making it essentially look like a higher poly quake 2) that HL2 can be played on lower end machines?

Let me just say one thing. I worked my ass off for my computer. What's worse: the kid who has a super computer and has to play a low poly game with wasted resources on netcode fixes and client-side collision prediction and no DX9 support, and is annoyed at that... or the kid who is annoyed because the game requires decent up-to-par specs and his dad won't upgrade his compaq presario 500mhz until it bursts into flames and traverses into the plains of Computer Hell?

I tell you. I agree wholeheartedly with Sonic--shut up and get a new computer, or go back to Counterstrike, cause I'm sick of it.

You people think HL2 is great, huh? You think HL2 is gonan be wonderful cause you think your busted ass family computers will run it at a nice solid 30fps with decent polys, like old half-life? Get with the ****ing program...you're going to be playing an ugly, skippy, eye-candyless game if you think you're playing HL2 on anything below a GF3.

As for Doom, I'm GLAD about the high specs. Doom should be for us who take this seriously enough to get high end machines...and shouldn't be tainted and made into the joke most of the Half-Life player communities have become.

BECAUSE of Doom's specs, I will consider it a privelege to play it. And I will be thankful that not every insolent kid who thinks the weapons are unbalanced will go

And for what it's worth...look at that ****ing screenshot I posted. If it looks that god damn good on MEDIUM TO LOW SETTINGS, I'll gladly set it at 640x480. Gladly. Cause, on medium or low, it will obviously slam Half-Life 2 into the floor technologically. Hell, you can't even use DirectX 9 if you have an Nvidia card...so most of you are going to be seeing a big lack of similarity and framerate consistency that you've had advertised to you by the bonerbiting*******s over at Lamespy.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Yo saiyanpride read this again mr wise guy

Anyone remembered the nice screenshots of the multiplayer test? The game runned on P4 3.06 GHZ systems with Geforce5900 FX Ultra cards (like the ones that smoke the Randeon 9800) and 2 gig ram. And they runned it in 640x480. Max players in multiplayer is 4. And that game is gonna beat HL 2 what runs on P3 systems with TNT cards? Don't make me laugh.
You aint gonna run that game for sh1t on you concidered "monster pc" when D3 comes out.

Half life 2 is gonna beat it anyway. The long demo movie seen you've seen? That runned on a 2 ghz pc with a geforce 3 ti500. The detail was on "high" and the resolution was 1280x1024. It looked awesome and runned very smooth.

Cause, on medium or low, it will obviously slam Half-Life 2 into the floor technologically.
Oh doom 3 will slam Hl2 into the floor?
Lets see does Doom 3 has the same psychis as hl2... no
Does Doom 3 has interactive enviroment... no, only some insane poly hallways
Will Doom 3 be easy to program for mod makers like hl2... no not even close
Will Doom 3 run on older pc's... no way
Did we see big open areas like in HL2.... nope
Did we see smart AI... no, only some dumb zombies that run right into your fire

The Hl2 demo was far more inpressive. The doom 3 demos only show you some dark hall ways and some unintelligent zombies. Like i said, only expect graphics. Its gonna be a tech demo.

Dude you can be snobby and say all the tiem "if you cant play it, buy a new pc". Ha ha, that's a laugh, dont even think that people are gonna buy a $3000 PC just to play crappy Doom 3. They will buy HL2.

you're going to be playing an ugly, skippy, eye-candyless game if you think you're playing HL2 on anything below a GF3.
So what? It will still look good anyway, dont forget we where all drooling a few years ago when Quake 3 came out. As long its on the "quake 3" graphics level, im satisfied. And it's not about the graphics, its about the GAMEPLAY. You know that word randeon man? All HL mods look like sh1t these days if you compare them to new games. Yet your playing ESF and hang around on ESF forums.

Pfff. think before you speak kid

And i aint have a slow ass computer, i just think that your comments are stupid and Doom 3 fanboyish, because there aren't people like us who have the money to buy a new pc once in a while.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok...I will read it again. [Long post...get ready, people...]

"Anyone remembered the nice screenshots of the multiplayer test? The game runned on P4 3.06 GHZ systems with Geforce5900 FX Ultra cards (like the ones that smoke the Randeon 9800) and 2 gig ram. And they runned it in 640x480. Max players in multiplayer is 4. And that game is gonna beat HL 2 what runs on P3 systems with TNT cards? Don't make me laugh."

What makes me laugh is people who think that a Radeon 9800 is beatable by any of the GeForce line of cards...especially when it comes to Half-Life 2. Haven't you heard? Nvidia's been cheating on all of their benchmarks...the delay for HL2 was CAUSED due to the fact that they are trying to "fix" that game's framerate issues on GeForce cards. So dissing Doom3's power level is irrelevent. I'll say it again. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A GEFORCE THAT "SMOKES" THE 9800. It's also not about "beating" Half-Life...so what if more people buy it? Just as many people will be buying Doom as they will Half-Life. That's not even an issue. It will sell--it's ****ing DOOM.

"You aint gonna run that game for sh1t on you concidered 'monster pc' when D3 comes out."

I've already run it fine and the game wasn't even 50% complete at the time. So that's that.

Half life 2 is gonna beat it anyway. The long demo movie seen you've seen? That runned on a 2 ghz pc with a geforce 3 ti500. The detail was on "high" and the resolution was 1280x1024. It looked awesome and runned very smooth.

Yeah...till they started using DirectX 9. Now the Geforces barely work with it.

"SaiyanPrideXIX: Cause, on medium or low, it will obviously slam Half-Life 2 into the floor technologically.

Oh doom 3 will slam Hl2 into the floor?
Lets see does Doom 3 has the same psychis as hl2...

Better ones, actually. Per pixel, full environment. If I shoot a missile at your guy and it flies under his arm or just grazes him, it will react realistically so; hitboxes are gone. We don't know yet how the game will work, because unlike Half-Life, we haven't slutted every single cinematic from the first 60% of Doom's gameplay to the public for chittering approval.

"Does Doom 3 has interactive enviroment... no, only some insane poly hallways"

The environment in Half-Life 2 isn't going to be any more interactive then Doom's. But Doom DOES HAVE objects within the environment that you can interact with fully and realistically; lights you can shoot out and let dangle from the ceiling, glass you can shatter in pieces realistically (not one bullet = no more glass), and the scripted sequences involve maps remodeling themselves on the fly. In the alpha, a Demon tears through a wall unexpectedly in one map. So they have the capability to do all that ****. Whether they'll WHORE ON IT CINEMATICALLY like Valve, we won't know till we play, because, like I said, they haven't ruined the whole game by showing us every bloody cinema as they complete it like HL2 has.

"Will Doom 3 be easy to program for mod makers like hl2... no not even close"

No. It'll just take talent and education. So I guess you're out of luck. If you want to design a map for Doom that's as low poly as say an ESF map, you can do that; to attain the insane level of detail that people see in Doom3, however, it will require significantly more effort. Cry me a river. You'll have to be weened off of milkshape.

"Will Doom 3 run on older pc's... no way"
Yeah it will...if you shut everything off. Same as HL2. I personally ran it on my old 700mhz with a GeForce2...looked lame but worked in a playable fashion.

"Did we see big open areas like in HL2.... nope"
Can't say for sure yet. I haven't SEEN THE WHOLE GAME. Besides that, Doom takes place on a Moon off of Mars...it'd be dumb to have lush outdoor jungles and cities there, wouldn't it?

"Did we see smart AI... no, only some dumb zombies that run right into your fire"

AI is the absolute last thing you would probably want to program if you were building a game. But you wouldn't know that, being an HL fan, all you would know about coding is the speedhack value edits and the way to make your custom gun models have different CoFs and Ammo consumption. Besides, dumbass...THEY ARE ZOMBIES. NOT A SQUAD OF MARINES. THEY ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE SMART.

"The Hl2 demo was far more inpressive. The doom 3 demos only show you some dark hall ways and some unintelligent zombies. Like i said, only expect graphics. Its gonna be a tech demo.

And Half-Life 2 isn't? "Look at this tentacle grab this guy!" = PHYSICS DEMO, "Look at the way we made the faces move!!" = MODELING DEMO, "Look at the wide open spaces" = MAPPING DEMO, "Look at how the monsters work together!!" = AI DEMO. Duh.

"Dude you can be snobby and say all the tiem "if you cant play it, buy a new pc". Ha ha, that's a laugh, dont even think that people are gonna buy a $3000 PC just to play crappy Doom 3. They will buy HL2.

And HL2 will run like crap on your dad's Presario notebook...and you're gonna be baffled about why. And then you'll see with the physics OFF, the model deformation OFF, the shaders OFF, you'll play through the whole game, and honestly will you tell me after that, if it's a wonderful game and a "true gaming legacy and phenomenal experience." Doom3 on medium looks like real life. And it is meant to be CLAUSTROPHOBIC and INTIMIDATING with lots of COLD INDUSTRIAL THEMES in its visuals. THAT is why there are no outdoor areas.

John Carmack would not build a game that COULDN'T do what his previous ones CAN. He would also most certainly not build one that, for the one advancement in lighting and bump-mapping, would fall behind in map size, gameplay, and compatibility.

If you shut off the dynamic lighting and shaders in Doom 3 it will work just fine. It won't be nearly as fun or scary, but it will run just fine. Cause without that stuff it's just a DX9-pimping version of Quake III.

"you're going to be playing an ugly, skippy, eye-candyless game if you think you're playing HL2 on anything below a GF3.

So what? It will still look good anyway, dont forget we where all drooling a few years ago when Quake 3 came out. As long its on the 'quake 3' graphics level, im satisfied. And it's not about the graphics, its about the GAMEPLAY.

And you think jumping pits, crawling through open doors, and shooting things is any more unique then Doom 3?

"You know that word randeon man? All HL mods look like sh1t these days if you compare them to new games Yet your playing ESF and hang around on ESF forums.

We're not talking about mods. Mods and games are different ballparks. If ESF were a lame shooter like CS or DoD I'd be inclined to agree, but because of ESF's insanely brilliant challenges to the design of DBZ-style gameplay, it is in fact brilliant whether graphically advanced or not. ESF is a game where the gameplay DOES matter more. In Doom3 and Half-Life, you will be doing inherently the same things. The difference is, Doom will have atmosphere. Half-Life won't. In Doom3, you will be afraid to shoot things, and you will likely not have the ammo to anyhow. And you will find out more about the story. We all know HL2's story already--GORDON FIGHTS ALIENS!! YAY!! That story is no more deep than Doom 1's.

"Pfff. think before you speak kid"

Take your own advice, and don't call me kid, I imagine I'm as much as five years your senior and have a degree in multimedia already. So that's "Sir" to you.

"And i aint have a slow ass computer, i just think that your comments are stupid and Doom 3 fanboyish, because there aren't people like us who have the money to buy a new pc once in a while.

I'm not rich either. But my exact computer setup is available for about 500 dollars now, sans the graphics card. That's a month's pay at any decent job. I'm sure you can manage that. If you can't, you shouldn't be complaining about products not working for you, cause if you can't manage that, you shouldn't be one to dictate Doom3's minimum system specs. You want the industry to bow down around your junkbox cause you can't go three to six weeks of solid work without cigarettes, trips to the movies, buying lame DVDs, and crappy Gamecube games.

That's just entirely unreasonable. And yeah, HL2 will run on a junkbox. But guess what? It ain't gonna run any better than 10 fps, I guarantee.

If you can't afford a better machine (read: "my dad and mom won't buy a new computer cause they think theirs is fine and I don't actually have one of my own because I'm an AOL/Kazaa grabass IM brat without a sodding penny to my name"), don't cry to me about it. People can't always afford nice houses; does that mean the industry should never build them? Then we could all live in the projects, cause one dude on our block quit his job cause he didn't like the fact he had to get up at 6 AM to go to work! How very fair, right?

I suggest YOU think a little bit more before you speak.

Best answers
No. It'll just take talent and education. So I guess you're out of luck
Ouch!

I love horror atmosphere.(Silent Hill=the master) and Doom has allways had a great one. Another reason why I'm also looking forward to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. as well as Doom3.

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
HL2 is being delayed to fix an antialiasing problem on nvidia cards...

quantez

Q
Oh my looks like we have a randeon fanboy here. The game and theothorical benchmarks proven that the top of the line geforce kicks the 9800's ass. Don't try to change facts you ass hole.

Besides, dumbass...THEY ARE ZOMBIES. NOT A SQUAD OF MARINES. THEY ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE SMART.
That's a very old and lame excuse for crappy AI and you know it.

The environment in Half-Life 2 isn't going to be any more interactive then Doom's. But Doom DOES HAVE objects within the environment that you can interact with fully and realistically; lights you can shoot out and let dangle from the ceiling, glass you can shatter in pieces realistically (not one bullet = no more glass), and the scripted sequences involve maps remodeling themselves on the fly. In the alpha, a Demon tears through a wall unexpectedly in one map. So they have the capability to do all that ****. Whether they'll WHORE ON IT CINEMATICALLY like Valve, we won't know till we play, because, like I said, they haven't ruined the whole game by showing us every bloody cinema as they complete it like HL2 has.
Lights to shoot out? LOL don't make me laugh, all games have that now. The glass your talking about? Soldier of fortune 2 had that a year ago. I am pretty sure that Id will show everything that is worth to see, but they dont have as many as cool stuff like HL 2. That's the problem.

"Will Doom 3 be easy to program for mod makers like hl2... no not even close"

No. It'll just take talent and education. So I guess you're out of luck. If you want to design a map for Doom that's as low poly as say an ESF map, you can do that; to attain the insane level of detail that people see in Doom3, however, it will require significantly more effort. Cry me a river. You'll have to be weened off of milkshape.
Why do it the hard way while you can acchieve the same thing, if not better, in the easy way. *sigh*

"Did we see big open areas like in HL2.... nope"
Can't say for sure yet. I haven't SEEN THE WHOLE GAME. Besides that, Doom takes place on a Moon off of Mars...it'd be dumb to have lush outdoor jungles and cities there, wouldn't it?
John romero said that it wont have wide open areas. Perioud. And the reason is probably that no computer will be able to handle it for 5 years.

"The Hl2 demo was far more inpressive. The doom 3 demos only show you some dark hall ways and some unintelligent zombies. Like i said, only expect graphics. Its gonna be a tech demo.

And Half-Life 2 isn't? "Look at this tentacle grab this guy!" = PHYSICS DEMO, "Look at the way we made the faces move!!" = MODELING DEMO, "Look at the wide open spaces" = MAPPING DEMO, "Look at how the monsters work together!!" = AI DEMO. Duh.
Ha ha, that's a lame comment and you know it Id luva. On every gaming forum i know everyone is crazy about HL2 because the demos look awesome. Can't say the same thing about the d3 demos.

"Dude you can be snobby and say all the tiem "if you cant play it, buy a new pc". Ha ha, that's a laugh, dont even think that people are gonna buy a $3000 PC just to play crappy Doom 3. They will buy HL2.

And HL2 will run like crap on your dad's Presario notebook...and you're gonna be baffled about why. And then you'll see with the physics OFF, the model deformation OFF, the shaders OFF, you'll play through the whole game, and honestly will you tell me after that, if it's a wonderful game and a "true gaming legacy and phenomenal experience." Doom3 on medium looks like real life. And it is meant to be CLAUSTROPHOBIC and INTIMIDATING with lots of COLD INDUSTRIAL THEMES in its visuals. THAT is why there are no outdoor areas.

John Carmack would not build a game that COULDN'T do what his previous ones CAN. He would also most certainly not build one that, for the one advancement in lighting and bump-mapping, would fall behind in map size, gameplay, and compatibility.

If you shut off the dynamic lighting and shaders in Doom 3 it will work just fine. It won't be nearly as fun or scary, but it will run just fine. Cause without that stuff it's just a DX9-pimping version of Quake III.
I don't run games on a notebook you dumb ass. And even when you set every dx9 stuff off, there will still be loads of non linear gameplay. Can't say the same thing about D3, i played the alpha and its just another dumbass zombie shooting game with insane graphics, nothng more nothing less. It doesnt matter how good it looks, the main part of it is the gameplay.

We all know HL2's story already--GORDON FIGHTS ALIENS!! YAY!! That story is no more deep than Doom 1's.
We all know Doom 3's story already-- NAMELESS DOOM 3 GUY FIGHTS BRAINLESS ZOMBIES THAT WALK RIGHT INTO YOUR GUNFIRE YAY!!! That story is no more deep than teletubbies'.

Take your own advice, and don't call me kid, I imagine I'm as much as five years your senior and have a degree in multimedia already. So that's "Sir" to you.
Ha ha, your a Doom 3 and randeon fanboy to me, that's all, kid.

I'm not rich either. But my exact computer setup is available for about 500 dollars now, sans the graphics card. That's a month's pay at any decent job.
You call 500 bucks a decent monthly pay? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the fact is, the HL2 movies inpressed me alot, together with millions of others, the Doom 3 movie didn't.

quantez

Q
Oh yea, look at the poll results, it gives you a nice idea of what people think. ROTFL!!!

Best answers
As a Computer Arts graduate, I have to say, visually, Doom 3 was quite a bit more impressive than HL2. I was even a little bit dissapointed by HL2 after seeing Doom3. That's my gut artistic reaction to the 2 demos. I don't compair them as whole games cuz when I play halflife I experience something wholly different than I do with Doom. Doesn't mean it's better.

As for the AI, I noticed some pretty cool stuff in the D3 demo. Yeah, the zombies are there.. they do the cliche zombie gig, but then you have imps busting down doors to get to you, crawling on the ceiling, down walls, demons, jumping around the player to get side attacks. You can't tell if they are working together or smelling your BO to track you down from a DEMO, or even an ALPHA. Some ALPHAs don't even have ENEMIES in them, you really think it reflects the games AI???
As a matter of fact, it would be neat if they did all that "smart hunter" stuff, but I am looking forward to Doom's combat AI. How they FIGHT. not how they track you.

At anyrate, It's weird to compair them this way. Why does Doom HAVE to have open spaces to be good? Why does it HAVE to have ninja Einstiens tracking you to be good? Why does it HAVE to have be easy to mod to be good? I may like HL2 better, i don't know, but I certainly don't think it's a "OMG it's 10000000x better!Haxx0r!!" game.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Well SaiyanPride like I said my brother doesn`t have any crap on his pc and has every rightly installed.

And another thing the 9800 pro version only comes with ddr ram :)

And I now seen it for my self the doom 3 alpha at my brother friend and it whent like ****.(1 Fps at some points. WTF?)

And you say Radeon 9800 pro rulez all geforce cards.
Well not for long the GF FX 2 is on its way :p.

I do agree about the grapihcal parts. It`s ****ing beautifull, but running it at 15-20 fps isn`t really good.

And about the AI well to know for sure u have to play the full version of both games and then you can decide.

But I`m still sticking to hl2 because my comp will run HL2 with everything on and doom 3 will probably run on my pc with everything off. ;\

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well Devion, at least you are being reasonable about it. For what it's worth, tweaking the config gets the alpha to run at 40-70 fps for me, and look as good as the screenshot you saw earlier in this thread just the same.

Regardless, all the arguments that are pro-hl2 here, seem irrelevent. "It has wide open spaces!" = "You'll never feel claustrophobic or scared." "It runs on every computer ever made!" = "Patches out the ass to make voodoo2/AOL players run better!!"

Personally I thinkt he need of being l33t to play Doom3 enjoyably is a nice touch, in a way. Only those who take this seriously will put forth the effort to experience it fairly.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmm I feel the need to repost something..

Abit of a longer post then my 1st one, like some said before "I will be getting both, but I will be buying one 1st"

HL2 I will get, and doom 3, as the Alpha (come on, we have all played it lets stop crying about saying so) Did play really cool, it was choppy but thats cus it was a damn OLD verson, if doom 3 runs fine on my comp when I plan to get it, then I have to say I will enjoy both HL2 and doom 3.

I still think Hl2 will be better in more ways then one compaired to doom3, but thats not to say doom 3 will be totally rubish, I will get both.

SaiyanPrideXIX: Your last post, the "alot of pro-hl" bit was abit dumb, sure people are saying "wide open spaces" and "things to drive" and "better storyline" but ya know why? Cus thats what makes HL2... a good game! Oh my god!

I could say the same thing about doom..

There seems to be a lot of pro-d3 people here saying it will be "gfxly better then anything" and "Action packed" or "Frightening"

You cant just say something like that is if you numbafy everyone elses posts.

*edit* hehe.. I cant help but post this..

Talking about doom 3 (the post up abit) "Did we see smart AI... no, only some dumb zombies that run right into your fire"

What, zombies that fired an uzi while wall running and matrix dodgeing out of your bullets would be better?... there ZOMBIES, the hl2 zombies walk towards you, ALL zombies walk towards you, thats what they do! D3 is going to have more then just zombies...

*EDIT again*

Oh man, after reading this page again, I just have to post some more, theres been abit of heated fights going on between 2 users.. ;/ I agree with some things one says, but disagree with anouther...

A little thing about upgradeing a computer, just to back up what saiyanX said

It does not cost as much as most people think, for example, My comp.. *from what I can remember of the prices* Im not showing off here, as my comp is far from "l33t" but shows some of you people how cheap you can things

Amd althon xp 5700, 200 pounds (im unsure if thats cheap or not really)
256ddr ram, 50ish pounds
128m Geforce 4 mx 440, 80 pounds (I got it months ago, its cheaper now)

Im planing on getting a Geforce FX 5700 for 100 pounds and anouther 512ddr ram for about 100 or below, allthough I may buy a radeon 9800.. im unsure what would be better (SayianX your welcome to give me advice, you seem to know a thing or too.. I do too, but not about these new cards)

Best answers
I think they both look good, but personally im really looking forward to half-life 2, the tractor beam gun looks soooo kewl. You cant really compare the two, they are very disimilar, but halflife 2 has gotten a WHOLE lot more hype than Doom 3

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Very true master. There has been a great deal more hype about Half-Life 2.

I just really like where Doom's going with the paranoia.

In other news, this just in--calling me a "Randeon Fan Boy" is a little lame, don't you think? The benchmarks will show...the latest FX cards are only just barely keeping up with my very dated 9700 Pro. Nvidia has been cheating on benchmarks and lying abotu their capabilities. I'll show you guys the article concerning it's regard to half-life 2 (in which, you will likely have to shut off all DX9 features to play the game at a reasonably enjoyable pace).

I like Doom's idea. The fear. The confusion. The EMOTION of it. I don't think that, "hmm, how am I going to get by this broken hallway...oh, a vent! A ha! Open ended gameplay rules!" is my cup of tea.

Doom's gonna make you feel something. Half-life 2 and Doom 3 however are really totally different animals besides the camera angles.

To ***** that, for instance, Doom III has no open areas...well how do you expect to feel scared in a brightly lit open field?

Conversely, with Half-Life, having a long narrow dark hallway isn't that interesting because it's linear and plain.

But a long dark hallway in D3 is a totally different animal, plain and simple. Maybe we should just stop comparing the two outside of performance. THose are the only areas where they're really attuned to one another, anyhow.

Best answers
This will mostly be a disjointed commentry on the posts to date, putting in information and opinions where I think they are relevent.

Scorcher2k: Let's face it, Quake three was a multiplayer only game because Unreal Tournament was a multiplayer only game. As we know, id may not be most well known for their original and innovative gameplay, but then, things are rarely completely original.

And yes, the Quake 3 engine has been a quite popular engine for games developers. I'm not sure why (not saying it's a bad thing, I just really don't know.).

A piece of information for all of you pro-Doomers in this thread, Half-life was actually developed from the Quake 2 engine.

Okay, Saiyan Pride is an elitist...good for him.

I have to disagree with you Saiyan Pride, I think if the specs are too high for Doom 3 it will hurt it's sales, badly.

...I'm not sure if you've actually seen the 20 minute Half-life 2 demo or not Saiyan Pride...but the whole point of Half-life 2 is that it's environment IS more interactive than Doom 3's is expected to be, or for that matter, any other game to date.

Dynamic is the key word here. I don't know where you got the cinematics theme from, but...

Yes, Doom 3 can have objects in maps which can be interacted with, but the idea in Half-life 2 is that everything should have interaction to some degree, dynamically.

That is, glass can be broken, not because it's designated as a "breakable" object, or as a "window" object, but just because it's glass.

And I sincerly hope they pull it off as well as they should.

As I've said before Saiyan Pride, id have a history of structurely "messy" code, making it not a simple, hobby task to use it. Of course, fi you were employed by a software company to make a game from one of their engines, I've no doubt you could. But really, someone doing it in their free time will only be frustrated, no matter how talented they are. For example...

In the Quake 2 source code, the weapons firing rate is driven by the number of frames in the model of the gun. Think about it for a while...this means that if you want to make the gun fire twice as fast, you just can't do it easily. Trust me, I tried. It can be done, but with some much ****ting around, it wasn't worth the effort. Anyways...

No, we won't see big open areas in Doom 3, and yes, it's on Mars, and yes, it would be dumb to have lush jungles. But it's also dumb to bring a chainsaw to Mars when there's no trees. :p

And for EVERYONES information, the creatures in the leaked Alpha of Doom 3 has NO AI. None. If you didn't go the main way, you could walk up behind them and shoot them in the head. They were all scripted.

Saiyan Pride, he wasn't talking about the Doom 3 demo being a tech demo...he was saying that all Doom 3 will be when it is released, is a tech demo (not saying I agree with him, just saying you misunderstood.)

Since he couldn't clarify that for himself..since he's banned. Why does it seem everyone who is speaking against Doom 3 is getting banned? Just wondering...

As for having better physics...I think you should watch those demo's again.

John Carmack would not build a game that COULDN'T do what his previous ones CAN.
Except for have big open areas, which he did have in Quake 3 but won't be in Doom 3?

The open areas is a another prime example of the way id Software design things. We won't "need" open areas, so we'll code the game in a way that open areas are AMAZINGLY inefficiently run, because that's just the way it will happen. Can you begin to see how hard it is to make a mod for id Engines that isn't very similar to the original game?

And I daresay the story will be much deeper than "Gordon fights Aliens." Now who's being unreasonable?

Quantez, I'll direct you to my comment above, that the Doom 3 Alpha had NO AI, so don't comment on something you haven't seen.

AND FOR THE LAST TIME!
---->John CARMACK is working at id Software..John ROMERO left a long time ago.<----

Darksun: My gut instinct as a programmer was that Half-life 2 was amazing, and much more impressive than Doom 3 was expected to be.

And I'm much more looking forward to being hunted by the marines in Half-life 2. hehe >:)

Saiyan Pride, as for being scared in an open field, try playing AVP (2) with the lights off. I tell ya, being a puny human in an open field when you can hear predators all around you is FRICKEN scary.

Okay, well, I think that's it for now. Ciao all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom