getting more LEGAL users in the esf community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Proud owner of ESF:Final
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
please read every think i write here......

oke.

i was thinking about to change the esf site for be more security in this forum

i was thinkgin about this

for getting next beta or already released beta someone must registerin in this forum and verifiy his steam account for getting a green sign on his forum profil

i was thinkin more in this more

those who dont have verified his steam account or who has a X sign on his profil will dont get acces for the download section

those who have the green sign will get acces to the download and help section for being serious every ilegal user could then play esf without buyin or geting an original half-life copy that would be much unfair against legal user

i dont know what you guys think about this thread but please read it and post your opinion for get the homepgae securityer against ilegal users

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The problem is even non-members would have to sign up, and that i think is too unfair. What currently is employed, with the signing up and verifying for getting support, is actually more effective.

Those who really have Half-life will mostly have no problem running the game, so the one's with pirated one would be stuck, seeing as they can't verify, nor can they play. The current method's fine.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ESF 1.3 won't run on Non-Steam systems anyway. :D

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
ESF 1.3 won't run on Non-Steam systems anyway. :D
dude before i joined this forum i used non steam half-life (cracked ) and could play online in servers

there must be much ways to get only legal users for esf

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Believe me. It wont. ;)

Plus that is ESF 1.2.3.

1.3 = Exceeds HL1's Real Limits.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Demonoid's indeed right, the final release will definitely need Steam to work. I don't know the details, but I'd imagine 1.2.3 was far easier to make a workaround for than the final release will be.

The problem with forcing users to register in order to download is that it makes trying ESF so much harder. Quite a few people would be put off if they had to register, when all they wanted was to try a mod they like the look of. The current system's pretty good right now, people are free to download it and attempt to run it. However, if they're not doing it the legal way, they're on their own.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Believe me. It wont. ;)

Plus that is ESF 1.2.3.

1.3 = Exceeds HL1's Real Limits.
how cxan i believe you i played esf even esf 1.3 open beta with non steam half-.life and could play online im sure
dude but it gaves me muhc errors

others are playin witzh nonsteam half.life and dont have any problems to join even offizial servers thats why i created this thread so collect much possible solutions to resolve the problem

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If the Open Beta throws out error messages without Steam, the final release is going to throw a tantrum and shut itself down. It's a pretty complex piece of work. I'd still like to emphasise that denying non-registered users the download would hurt ESF. How would it work with sites like Filefront?

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Like Doku said. It's possible to prevent non-validated so they can't download the files on the forums & site, but what about other sites such as moddb, filefront & fileplanet? Besides, the final version is not out yet and I'm pretty sure it'll be more protected against non-steam users than it's previous versions.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You don't have to have Steam in order to create an ESF dedicated server. Let's say someone decides to create one for other people (for unknown purposes, friends maybe). He would have to have Steam in order to get ESF files required for the server. Now that would suck. Also people shouldn't be asked for HL validation as long as they only need help with ESF dedicated server.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
hmhm i was thinking about that the installer from esf would contain a validate feature so you must frist validate your steam account to get the game installed

please collect all your ideas here

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hmhm i was thinking about that the installer from esf would contain a validate feature so you must frist validate your steam account to get the game installed

please collect all your ideas here
That's pretty much pointless because people with a legit copy could just extract those files and create another installer, zip, or rar. Plus it's way too much work to stop 'pirating' users to play a game.

If has to be a must have feature it would make sense for the game to have a login screen, which would require you to sign in with your forum account with HL verified. With that, you could probably end up showing personal statistics with that system on how you play, kinda how Condition Zero has that feature.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It could work I suppose, if ESF were to create a connection to an outside database, which would be connected to the forums database of validated people. Not sure if the HL SDK allows you to connect to outside servers though. That and it would require a lot of work. The upside of it would be though that everyone would have a specific ESF account, so impersonating people would be harder, and you could add stuff like achievements and statistics.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
pfft I won't ever verify. My steam details belong to the steam client, and nothing else. No 1.3 for me then I guess?

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You do know your steam accounts gets verified by Valve, right!

No one but them can access your account to check whether HL is there or not. You should've figured that out by checking the validation link.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The validation link asks me for my steam credentials. Every dork can check out if I have half life by visiting my profile. I know that the verification page has like a certificate telling me it's a valve site and it displays www.steamcommunity.com as the host, but knowing me internets tells me that this info can easily be faked.

Point is my steam credentials will not be put into any random site. They're used in steam and that's it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It works the same way as Steam Calculator. Just checks what games you have and uses that as an activation.

But eitherway, Steam will be required to play. End of story. :)

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wow...any random site is a forum that has been around for an incredibly long time, of a well respected mod. Awesome man. I couldn't undertand if this was some hot-shot new mod saying it was going to have x amazing feature and such, and required this...but no, it's legit.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It works the same way as Steam Calculator. Just checks what games you have and uses that as an activation.

But eitherway, Steam will be required to play. End of story. :)
Steam calculator does not ask me for my password.

Wow...any random site is a forum that has been around for an incredibly long time, of a well respected mod. Awesome man. I couldn't undertand if this was some hot-shot new mod saying it was going to have x amazing feature and such, and required this...but no, it's legit.
Any random site = any website. Doesn't matter how awesome or whatever it is. Point is, something like this makes it easier for other people to steal steam accounts. Random people will trust sites that ask you for your steam details.
My account has like $500 of games on it, and steam cacl tells me that this is pretty much the average account worth. Not gonna put my details into any site ever and risk getting it stolen....
Esp since you can check the games somebody owns without having the password.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The passwords there to make sure you are the one who owns the account. If it was like the steam calc, whats stopping somebody else from checking someone else's account for Half-life and then using it. Also, the validation process is made using the tools supplied by Valve, as in this.

Am not trying to convert you into validating, am just saying you'r wrong thinking its not legit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom