Gameplay is ****ed Up

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
not exactly Saru, ive been copying playing styles since i played 1.1 and was helped by Miro; you didnt start the trend

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's a preference, that's all. Better players will bash you around with melee before you can get a beam off unless you hit them from a distance. Generally beams are for killing someone before they notice you or someone who is a good deal of distance away from you, whereas melee is for the up close and personal crowd who want to disable your beam usage.

Melee is more useful than beams by necessity. Beams are projectiles that obliterate you before you can react whereas melee (at least secondary) sends you through the air to take another blow which probably wont finish you off. Both advanced and secondary melee may change some for 1.3, although I don't know any details yet.

"new players dont even have a chance to get into the game" - Laguno

ESF has a relatively steep learning curve because people want it. It was worse in previous version of the game with faster speeds and more melee damage. There will be times in ESF where you come across somebody who is better than you to a point where you wont be able to touch them. People enjoy this accuracy to the show and are generally accepting of it.

"killing others by using their head to knockback the enemy"

I suggest you watch more of the series. Slamming into somebody with your head is one of the most powerful ways to hit somebody in the series, which is a bit odd, since you risk breaking your neck in the process.

Lastly, yes, there are a few hacks and scripts floating around the community. Not everyone is using them, and only one of them makes you 'faster,' so generally if you are having difficulty competing with another player it is because he is more experienced. Do not go around accusing people of cheating.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I just dont understand what you mean if you block the first hit you cant block the second one while flying back. If you get thrown back from the first hit than you didnt block it.

Anyhow dont worey i still get owned 10 to 0 by some guys abd they are the moast fun to play with :p
(note to self: beat Ness)

Best answers
I beleive he might be talking about angle hits where as he thinks he is blocking but the person is hitting htem at an angle

Best answers
I've been playing for 3 days and I would say Im pretty damn good it takes a while to pick up than most games because its very wide-spread check out my score

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
no offense but looking at the death to ratio scores in that pic, it wouldnt be that hard to be top of the server, most "pro's" could get to 70 with under 10 deaths against people who have kill-death ratio's of 1:2. I used to be the same, i'd get quite a few kills but a high number of deaths too... still do, but to a less degree.

This game has a huge learning curve, i can beat down the majority of people with ease and not get scratched, yet there are those that can do the exact same to me... I enjoy fighting the harder opponents, its so much more fun =P

Best answers
umm.. there aint nothing special in that score actually.. proves there was alotta of n00bs in server ;p

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Laguno said:
a great mod really but gameplay is totally ****ed up for every standart player like me cause everytime you start playing one of these freaks is starting to perma stun and toss around

with boost + right mouse button combo

i and i guess a lot of other players are pissed by that
even if you block the first knockback they will abuse port and knock you again ..

good mod bad balancing

new players dont even have a chance to get into the game o_O
So you are telling me..That every new player should be able to combat with anyone he meets in a serber? Even people who have been playing for YEARS are supposed to be at your level?

This is not a game with difficulty settings. You ARE going to meet people better than you and the ratio increases the worst you play. Saying a game is unbalanced just becasue you got beat up doesn't neccesarily mean the mod is unbalanced. That would mean, everyone would have to have 20 kills in a server for it to be balanced. Though soemtimes it will take a lot of practice for sertain players, just go practice in your own server, the less popular servers, or look at my tutorial Here .

without that knockback the mod would be much more realistic cause ive never seen any db characters killing others by using their head to knockback the enemy :no:
No they are not all head butts. You are telling me, that you have NEVER seen a DBZ character knock a person back with one strong hit and bouce them around? Ever here of Budokai 3? So yes the knockback is very true to the show..disregarding the roll hit, ceiling combo..

Best answers
Hamppu said:
GRAAWEER!! xD well that's what happened :p he startes instultim me for using melee and saying that it gotta been taken off :S
LOL u think that was bad? 191-14 on vossey and guess who was my main target? :D

Best answers
Chakra-X said:
So you are telling me..That every new player should be able to combat with anyone he meets in a serber? Even people who have been playing for YEARS are supposed to be at your level?
Isn't that what the team wanted for 1.2? Everybody having a fair chance? Isn't that why they made 1.2 so rediculously slowpaced?

We all know 1.2 lacks anything interresting that actually lasts (something that remains challenging to accomplish for instance). The only thing most of us are doing is just dueling others and the occasional public (if ever). I hope 1.3 brings us more to find and explore (except for new bugs and glitches every month) and to keep us playing the game, something that remains challenging.

So yes the knockback is very true to the show..disregarding the roll hit, ceiling combo..
You call those knockbacks? The 1.1 knockbacks are actually true to the show, now you just push them a bit T_T Also, fights in 1.1 were much cooler to watch.

You can say alot about 1.1, it being repetetive, simple and maybe even too hard, but I don't recall hearing anyone saying they quit cos it was boring (apart from the ones that got beaten up constantly). How many of the people here on these forums actually still play esf? Not much, I doubt 10% even, yet they seem (to think) to know everything about it, magic?

I don't know how 1.3 is going to look, but I do hope it's going to be more interresting than this and alot more balanced at that as well, cos even the newbs are starting to moan that this "isn't the greatest". That makes ya think, don't it?

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Carnage said:
Isn't that what the team wanted for 1.2? Everybody having a fair chance? Isn't that why they made 1.2 so rediculously slowpaced?
Wasnt it because 1.3 will have more transformations and keeping 1.1 speeds would lead to uncontrolable final forms. Atleast thats what i heard :p

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Grega said:
Wasnt it because 1.3 will have more transformations and keeping 1.1 speeds would lead to uncontrolable final forms. Atleast thats what i heard :p
Yep, thats why they changed the speeds.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not uncontrollable. The speeds were changed because if you added the proper speeds for each form based on 1.1 speeds, it would be impossible because of HL's upper limit on speeds. You cannot go faster than a certain speed. 1.1's Krillin was very near this value.

Best answers
No no, I didn't mean character speeds, but overall gameplay speed. You gotta admit 1.1 was a hell of alot faster than 1.2. There was such a large gap between the two, there were bound to be mistakes and those have been found enough by now (with probably more to come). A simple thing as the tele delay already slowed the game down and I remember a few threads all getting closed cos it was some 'permanent feature'. Then the 2 hit limit, I mean, come on, that's so.... non-true to the show, not to mention you hit like a wussy compared to 1.1 (excluding damage ^^).

Talking about damage, you can get melee damage the same if not higher just by using turbo. 3 simple melee hits + a beamjump nearly kills you without even giving you the chance to get away. Good luck trying that in 1.1.

Also, everybody complains about the beamspamming. Even tho it was also in b1.1, the lock on system prevented a good defense whenever you got attacked. You had to use much more caution when firing a beam or you would have to press the left mouse button 100x before you finally got a lockon (lockin-on actually required some skill). That means you would think twice before firing a beam in someone's face, especially if he was a good melee player.

See where I'm heading? 1.1 was alot more balanced than you might realise at first glanse and all that is becomming clearer every second. I'm not saying to get the lockon system back in or something, cos I like this swooping method too, but there are some things you need to double check to see if it actually works in-game.

Best answers
well 15-20 dmg for a single toss is just ***. mod deleted i will wait for the hl2 db mod that will hopfully be more fun to play

have fun

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Laguno said:
well 15-20 dmg for a single toss is just ***. mod deleted i will wait for the hl2 db mod that will hopfully be more fun to play

have fun
when will you people understand , that esf is a game/mod just like any other game that would require some getting use to & a bit of practice to delvelop your technique (so you just give up if something's hard to understand , where's your sense of adventure , or your learning curve ?. Of course , people that i have talked to about esf say it's crap cause it is hard to play and they like budokai alot , I wonder what they were first like at their favourite game when they played ?) it really isn't that hard to learn how to play. If you look back in this thread you will find a link to a handy guide that will help you learn how to play

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Laguno said:

have fun
You'll be waiting a long time my friend. If any dragonball z mods do come out for half-life 2 (which I doubt...), they probably still won't be as good as this mod is.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
People will complain about 20 melee damage for a punch but spam 80+ damage energy attacks with gargantuan damage radii. Either way they aren't going to rebuild their damage balancing systems from the ground up so long as it is functional. There will always be arguments about beams vs melee, and what people have to realize is that the team has already balanced it out as well as they could for both the people complaining about how crappy melee is and how overpowered it is. Both crowds still complain but this is about as good as it'll get for the both of you.

Best answers
Excuse me, but you call this balanced?

Without turbo your melee damage is minimal (probably how it should've been) but with turbo it's almost rediculous. Throwing is unblockable as soon as it's initiated and costs hardly any ki. Adv melee doesn't have a nomeleehittime. Beamjumping is unbalanced and hurts quite a bit with turbo. Buu is unbalanced, trunks is unbalanced, rolling exploit is unbalanced, ceiling exploit is unbalanced, the uuh... "stop-roll" glitch is unbalanced and adv melee glitch is.. well... somewhat unbalanced (as it is still blockable to a certain degree), PS char switch is unbalanced, kiblast damage is unbalanced (actually it's the turbo that causes lots of trouble).

Did I miss anything? I probably did. Note that all of these affect gameplay in one way or another. I'm not saying 1.1 is bugfree or perfect but those bugs weren't so devistating (apart from the crashbug, that one was really a bad one). HOWing could be overcome and was merely an obstacle but some of the glitches we have now are simply unstoppable (apart from from the rolling exploit which I'm not going to explain).

Point is, if this is the best they can at balancing, I think I'll cry. But I guess that's where you're wrong, the team didn't just hire 20 betatesters for fun. They know they can do a better job (cos if they don't the community isn't going to be very happy :p) and they probably will.

I still think that even without these bugs and glitches the melee still needs (lots of) work and changes. I'm not the only one but I suppose we're still a minority seeing as 90% of the current community are newcommers that don't really know much about any of it or simply stopped playing and have either quit esf or are camping the forums here.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Again, carnage, beta FTW. Things are being worked out. Not everything is found in testing. Lots is found in the community.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom