Fastest,most powerful Graphiccard at the moment?

L

New Member
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Mar 31, 2004
Messages
1,069
Best answers
0
What ever you plan to buy, DO NOT BUY THE ATI RADEON 9800 PRO, Its SOO Horrible.. I got it and it SUCKS...I cant even play Doom3, I Have to have ALL the settings set to "LOW"...I can Barely play Maxpayne 2..
 
New Member
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
May 14, 2003
Messages
1,929
Best answers
0
The 9800Pro is an extremely good card. You must have craptastic windows drivers installed, no motherboard drivers, or anything unset. The 9800Pro should run max payne 2 at max, and doom 3 at high quality with no to small hitches in performance. Something is wrong on your end, not the 9800's.
 
Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Sep 20, 2003
Messages
3,211
Best answers
0
Fatal_CobraX said:
What ever you plan to buy, DO NOT BUY THE ATI RADEON 9800 PRO, Its SOO Horrible.. I got it and it SUCKS...I cant even play Doom3, I Have to have ALL the settings set to "LOW"...I can Barely play Maxpayne 2..
You must not have a very good computer. Because I know the 9800 pro is an excellent card. It's whether or not your computer can handle it or not. Like I got it for my old computer. Thinking it would improve my perfomance in gaming. Boy was i wrong... So if you don't have a good computer your graphics card won't work too well.
 
New Member
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Jun 8, 2004
Messages
5,216
Best answers
0
It's not really fair to use Doom3 or Half-Life 2 as games to benchmark. Doom3 was 'desgined' for Nvidia, and Half-Life 2 (CS: Source) was desgined for the 9800XT (which is why I bought one, though by HL2's release it'll be outdated)

There's not much in it, but I still say X800XT 256mb Platinum
 
New Member
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
May 14, 2003
Messages
1,929
Best answers
0
Ravendust said:
It's not really fair to use Doom3 or Half-Life 2 as games to benchmark. Doom3 was 'desgined' for Nvidia, and Half-Life 2 (CS: Source) was desgined for the 9800XT (which is why I bought one, though by HL2's release it'll be outdated)

There's not much in it, but I still say X800XT 256mb Platinum
Well, actually, you've got the doom 3 backwords. It's actually nVidia's cards which are designed for doom 3 ;O. And did you know that Valve spent 4x more time optimizing half life 2 for nVidia cards than ATi's?
 
Active Member
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Sep 23, 2002
Messages
1,876
Best answers
0
we had this discussing.. over and over and over again

Dustman tell us which games you like
certain games perform better with ati cards, others will do better with nvidia cards!
Overall best.. can't be said, and if it could be.. it wouldn't last long ( driver updates, new cards )
 
New Member
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Apr 7, 2003
Messages
1,478
Best answers
0
Smith| said:
Well, actually, you've got the doom 3 backwords. It's actually nVidia's cards which are designed for doom 3 ;O. And did you know that Valve spent 4x more time optimizing half life 2 for nVidia cards than ATi's?
Did you even read what he said? -_-

"Doom3 was 'desgined' for Nvidia"

"Half-Life 2 (CS: Source) was desgined for the 9800XT"

You just said "No, what you said was wrong. Here's what it actually is: (What he said.)"
 
New Member
Joined
May 8, 2004
Messages
286
Best answers
0
well the games i want to play are shooters like far cry and half life 2.and i want to get a new godlike pc and i want the biggest badass graphicscard avaiable!yeah!so tell me which one the badass is ;)
 
New Member
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
May 14, 2003
Messages
1,929
Best answers
0
SailorAlea said:
Did you even read what he said? -_-

"Doom3 was 'desgined' for Nvidia"

"Half-Life 2 (CS: Source) was desgined for the 9800XT"

You just said "No, what you said was wrong. Here's what it actually is: (What he said.)"
No, I told him he had to backwards.
 
New Member
Joined
May 8, 2004
Messages
286
Best answers
0
ok mmmmhhhhh just somebody who really knows what hes talkin about,should please tell me which the fastest graphicscard is.okay?i just wanted a good single answer and then topic could have been closed.but now the thread dialogues are getting weirder and weirder.
 
New Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2004
Messages
886
Best answers
0
Yo man, its either the X800XT PE or the Nvidia 6800 Ultra. Both of them are great, and you probably wont notice a change between the two. Besides, new cards always come out. Both of these cards will keep you company for atleast two years, unless they achieve some sort of new breakthrough, but they always claim to be doing that.
 
New Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2003
Messages
33
Best answers
0
Smith| said:
Well the thing is, it still technically beat 2x 6800Ultras, overclocked or not, 1 card beat 2 of the best of another company.
wow and ur not pro ati?! u change everything they said to make sure ATI comes up, the radeon was overclocked so bad that it wasnt even stable, its faster yeah, but u cant use it, wow thats usefull, and 2 6800ultra doesnt mean 2X the speed, when u got 2cpu together it doesnt give 2x the speed, a 3ghz is faster than 2 1.5ghz, stop changing everything to make ATI comes out as the best :O

stop saying X game is optimized for X card, thats just stupid, FX had trouble with Directx9 and nvidia is better in opengl than ati, doom3 use opengl, hl2 use directX9

http://www.digital-daily.com/video/vga-roundup/
^^ the ppl who did that are just stupid
they did a test on the hl2 alpha leak, and they did FX5900 vs x800, and after they say that nvidia is way behind ati...

look its simple, go with what u want, 6800 or x800 its the same **** just different name, they are both as good
 
New Member
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
May 14, 2003
Messages
1,929
Best answers
0
Pink_Fat_buu said:
wow and ur not pro ati?! u change everything they said to make sure ATI comes up, the radeon was overclocked so bad that it wasnt even stable, its faster yeah, but u cant use it, wow thats usefull
Sigh... apparently they could use it. If it was too high on the core, it would freeze during parts of the test, causing it to become null and void, if the memory artifacts then they can just lower them down afterwords. The thing is they overclocked it, and it beat 2x 6800Ultras, end of story. Newer benchmarks show that 2x 6800Ultras still don't beat that one score.

Nvidia SLI Benchmark Results said:
Representatives from Nvidia shared SLI performance numbers by running a handful of benchmarks on a single-CPU 2.4Ghz AMD Opteron 250 system based on an undisclosed next-generation nForce chipset with two GeForce 6800 GT PCI-Express video cards running in SLI mode. Note that these preliminary SLI scores are from a very fast AMD Opteron 250 processor--comparable to the desktop Athlon 64 3700+ and Athlon 64 FX-53 processors.

The Opteron 250 GeForce 6800 GT SLI system scored an impressive 8,081 points in the recently released 3DMark05 benchmark.
, and 2 6800ultra doesnt mean 2X the speed, when u got 2cpu together it doesnt give 2x the speed, a 3ghz is faster than 2 1.5ghz, stop changing everything to make ATI comes out as the best :O
It means ~70% more processing power, I never said it means 2x the speed. It'll be limited based on how fast the processor(s) can put together the 2 frames, send back to the video card and into your moniter. That's the main reason why they've been using 2 processors :/. You can still do it with one though.

stop saying X game is optimized for X card, thats just stupid, FX had trouble with Directx9 and nvidia is better in opengl than ati, doom3 use opengl, hl2 use directX9
FX HAS trouble with DirectX9 due to it's craptastic design around DX9 (Thankfully, the 6800 series are starting to fix that lable for nVidia). Yea, it does very well in OpenGL, I'll give nVidia that, because that's what it's mainly designed around, vise versa for ATi.

http://www.digital-daily.com/video/vga-roundup/
^^ the ppl who did that are just stupid
they did a test on the hl2 alpha leak, and they did FX5900 vs x800, and after they say that nvidia is way behind ati...
Actually, there is a 6800 Ultra in there -_-. And they are both better and worse at different games.

look its simple, go with what u want, 6800 or x800 its the same **** just different name, they are both as good
It's not the same "**** judge different name", they are completely different architects that do differently in tons of different areas. As of now, the x800xt is the best buy, but in a month or two when nVidia matures their new hardware with better drivers, it'll most likely turn around or become dead even.

wow and ur not pro ati?!
Am I going to have to repeat this every time you post...?
Smith| said:
I'm pro-best. ATi is the best at the moment, so I'm pro-ati. That's subject to change though if they don't get more x800's out.
 
Active Member
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Sep 23, 2002
Messages
1,876
Best answers
0
DustMan2704 said:
ok mmmmhhhhh just somebody who really knows what hes talkin about,should please tell me which the fastest graphicscard is.okay?i just wanted a good single answer and then topic could have been closed.but now the thread dialogues are getting weirder and weirder.
Like a few persons before me said.

Just read everypost in this thread, and pick what seems best to you
in the end it doesn't matter which one you pick, cause both are awesome
 
New Member
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Jun 8, 2004
Messages
5,216
Best answers
0
Doom3 was 'desgined' for Nvidia, and Half-Life 2 (CS: Source) was desgined for the 9800XT
Well, actually, you've got the doom 3 backwords. It's actually nVidia's cards which are designed for doom 3
How have I got it backwards? I said Doom3 was designed for Nvidia.

I think it's fair enough to say just find the best deal you can get on BOTH cards, then buy the cheaper one. If you want it for Half-Life 2, I reccomend the X800XT 256mb. If you don't want to pay the full whack then a 9800XT 256mb will suffice for running Half-Life 2 on full specs. That was the card all the HL2 Videos were recorded on and the card they tested the game with.
 
New Member
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
May 14, 2003
Messages
1,929
Best answers
0
What I was trying to say was that when Carmack announced what he wanted to be included in Doom 3, nVidia put it all in their cards =o.
 
New Member
Joined
May 30, 2003
Messages
842
Best answers
0
Another factor of Carmack choosing nVidia was because of the fact an ATi employee leaked the Doom 3 alpha years back.
 
New Member
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Jun 8, 2004
Messages
5,216
Best answers
0
Oh, I get it now.

However, Doom3 is out and IMO isn't very good, you'll have much more fun with Half-Life 2, so get a 9800XT 256mb or better.
 
New Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2003
Messages
422
Best answers
0
Tassadar said:
Another factor of Carmack choosing nVidia was because of the fact an ATi employee leaked the Doom 3 alpha years back.
Actually, the reason why Doom 3 runs on nVidia cards so much better(and it's even not that big a difference) is it's an Open GL based game, nVidia cards tend to do well with OGL games.

A big misconception is that the reverse is also true; ATI and nVidia cards perform almost exactly the same on Direct 3D games. A lot depends on image quality settings. nVidia cards will perform better with AA 4x or less, ATI cards perform better at higher AA settings. Note that in all cases at every price point, the differences are TINY. Mileage will vary from game to game, but this is generally the case.
 
Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Dec 1, 2001
Messages
7,416
Best answers
0
Smith| said:
The 9800Pro is an extremely good card. You must have craptastic windows drivers installed, no motherboard drivers, or anything unset. The 9800Pro should run max payne 2 at max, and doom 3 at high quality with no to small hitches in performance. Something is wrong on your end, not the 9800's.
Old hat, but Smith is correct, I can play Farcry and Doom 3 with little difficulty on my 9800 Pro.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top