Which option would you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well why would we assume that phase one is crazy buggy or more buggy than the full version? Isn't it more or less just a toned down version with less characters, maps, and modes? I'm sure if they wanted to really release a phase they would polish it to some extent vs the old open beta. I mean why would they even suggest a phased approach in the fist place if they didn't think they could execute it properly? And, if there are bugs, which there will most likely be a few here and there, it's probably things that wouldn't have been caught until after the full release anyway no?
If you look back to a few of the POTW, Grega has played a few "Spot the Bugs" games with us. So that says there are a few bugs. Those things that wouldn't have been caught until full release could easily be game breaking things. Such as the 1.2.3 simple melee reset.

Its amazing how everyone comes out of the woodwork when its time to get something, but when it comes to contributing to the community over a period of time, but a few are to be found.
Haaaaa. My exact thoughts.

🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Requests for a demo or some sort of a release are showing up more often in user comments and as a result the team has talked about offering an alternative release approach.

Here is what the team proposes:

Option 2: Release ESF in 2 smaller phases

Phase 1
  • Reduce the playable characters down to 5-6
  • Limit characters to 1 transformation level
  • Postpone non-deathmatch game modes

The development has discussed both options and are comfortable with either.
Quite honestly it doesnt change a thing for us.

We have the Phase 1 as we call it set as a milestone or a release. In both ways our plans are not going to change.
Let's make this clear. First, Masta said that the team talked about that, which means every single team member know there is (if option 2 is voted) a so called deadline (even if it not set yet, but you can be sure that it's less than 1 or 2 years^^ - just ask yourself: Why are we ask NOW?) and the teammembers are fine with that otherwhise they wouldn't agree and the poll doesn't exist.

Second, as you can see, Masta said what's inside the first phase. Again, ask yourself: Why is just this stuff inside? This can be one of the following reasons: a) that's what we got so far, b) we are sure that this will work fine or c) we are looking foward to it getting it to work (soon).
And like Masta said also, the devs are comfortable with either!

Third, Grega said there arn't any changes for us, doesn't matter what you're voting for.

Remember, these 3 statements has already been written!

I would like to say sth too about the comparison with the open beta. The team isn't stupid and you can be sure that we think about that, too and it's not like we had this idea 3 or 4 days ago... (Why there are differences compaired to the open beta? Just have a look at my second listing.)

With other words (copied from Masta again^^): What we want to know is what do you think? Because we wouldn't ask if we can't handle it. So forget about the bugs and stuff like that. Of course there will be some, even in the "full" final (nobody is perfect). What counts most is YOUR opinion of the following question: Do you want a full release with a long waiting period or a phase release with less content (which content exactly you can read in the first post)? Masta doesn't wrote sth about the choose between a full release or a buggy less content version.

I don't care about the final result and I'm sure ESF is not going to be die, because of our great community (not able to compare with NNK and stuff like that). You guys are awesome! That's why we want you to choose. Thanks.

✔️ HL Verified
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Well Mutsu,

Having that said about the quality of the current implemented features(I'm sure its great), I still foresee a problem with option two.
If you guys were to release an incomplete version, people would play it, like it, but then get annoyed or even impatient with the lack of (full) features, and yet another 'when is the next release' frenzy will be unleashed.

As cool as the current version looks, it's not finished, it probably doesn't have all the characters you planned, transformations or techniques. This will in time get to people making them not want to play the game and perhaps even leave out of boredom.
From what I've seen the past years, you've already lost a huge part of the community after the (although forced)openbeta incident. While the bugs had a large impact, the lack of features also made people leave.

My motivation of staying here all these years is because it's a fun place, you guys do amazing things to an engine this old, and the gameplay in this mod is like no other. As a (soon to be)gamedeveloper and old-time fan, you guys are a role-example of any indie gamecompany.

I'm not sure why other people vote for the second option, but I'm sure most of it is out of selfish reasons.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm happy either way. Remember, with the second option, a lot of nifty stuff won't be present. It'd be impressive, but it'll lack the full awe of a final release. People complaining is another problem, or the cheeky ones asking for another release!

🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I still foresee a problem with option two. If you guys were to release an incomplete version, people would play it, like it, but then get annoyed or even impatient with the lack of (full) features, and yet another 'when is the next release' frenzy will be unleashed.
So there's no difference till now. I never said I'm for or against one option. It was my intention to make certain things clear (like: bugs). Everything you've said makes sense and I totally agree with it, but that's not the question. Look, there will always be guys who kind of nerve (f. e. "When it's done?", "Damned, it's not a full release." or "Why you not going to release more than 2 phases?" and so on...). They will always exist and it's okay. As long as there are people like you guys, we don't care.

The way we make a decision (to start a public poll) is our way to say "thank you", because every single one has the chance to vote if he would like to play it in a certain while or if he is just fine with 1.2.3 (or the open beta). All the other things you said, doesn't really matter, because they should not influence YOUR personal decision. Grega did a great job, same as Sky, to handle all this "lovely" persons. And like I said, they'll exist both ways: with or without a phase release, just with different sentences.

More important is the fact that we can just get feedback from our highly recommended community which is also interested in making this game awesome! That's why I said it again: Don't care about all the "bad" feelings you have, just ask yourself what are you wanna to play? Are you dissapointed if there is f. e. no piccolo or whoever ingame in phase 1? Maybe it's better you vote for a full release then. Are you just interested in the gameplay and the graphics? Then you should vote for a phase release. You have to ask yourself what counts most for YOU. Don't care about all the other things, because we take the responsibility and also thought about that, too. And we came to that decision that we can manage, if there are, all negative aspects on our own. So it's really just that question: What do you think/want? The rest doesn't really matter in that poll. (But that's just my point of view, otherwhise you won't be able to vote).

edit.// That's all for me. I'm out of that discussion.

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd still like to point out that people should validate before they get to vote on this poll, or it gives kind of a false impression (I mean, you don't let Swedish people vote in America).

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I'd still like to point out that people should validate before they get to vote on this poll, or it gives kind of a false impression (I mean, you don't let Swedish people vote in America).
How come you took us swedes as an example and not norweigan people?! But oh well, can't the devs just do statistics with and without restrictions on the poll afterwards? And then see which weighs more important?

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You are arguing 1 fans opinion VS anothers.

A fan of a sports team, doesnt need to go to all the teams games, and it doesnt make him any less a fan.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You are arguing 1 fans opinion VS anothers.

A fan of a sports team, doesnt need to go to all the teams games, and it doesnt make him any less a fan.
Should I be allowed to vote in nations I don't live in?

Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Should I be allowed to vote in nations I don't live in?
Hardly the case here since ESF is "one nation". Anyone can play it it's not like the game is distributed to a certain demographic.

Taking into account what has been said I think that Option 2 seems more logical since nothing will really change. Winers will wine, players will play, fans will support. With Option 1 is kind of the same but there will be less players that will play because I think a lot of people have stopped trying to play 1.2.3.

Last edited:
Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The facts are

1. This thread isn't about who should and shouldn't vote
2. If you don't even own Half Life why should you have a say when you can't even play when they release

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't think you quite got the analogy I was making.

The people who can play ESF is the nation. The people with Half-Life. The people without Half-Life can't play the mod, so there is no reason they should get a vote.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How is my vote off? I own Half-Life, I wouldn't be made Force Pit if I didn't.

Best answers
i think it should be option 2 cause then we can be occupied with the game instead of having 50,000 people wine bout its release plus itll keep the hype going for when new stuff is added

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
no you don't and you are Cucumba's best friend, you liar!
I don't really understand why you think that...

Check your HL verification icon.:)
I haven't linked my Steam to ESF, that's true -- but you're welcome to duel me in a Steam-only server if you doubt me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom