• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Quite honestly it doesnt change a thing for us.

We have the Phase 1 as we call it set as a milestone or a release. In both ways our plans are not going to change. The only thing that will change is what we do in public (meaning make a Phase 1 limited chars/transformations release or not).
So if I get this straight. Your goal at the moment is to head towards this Phase 1 milestone in the first place right? Therefore releasing it wouldn't necessarily be going out of your way to do that. Well in that case might as well do it! What is the point of obscuring Phase 1 from the public if it is intended to be made and reached anyway in the first place?
Basically asking "Hey we are making 'Pizza', do you want some too?"

Last edited:
Stalwart Assassin
✔️ HL Verified
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
This is a tough call. I can understand what people are saying with regards to have the two phases potentially being bad in the long run, as people may lose interested because it would have limited features. On the other hand, I know that if it was released in phases, it would help to hold me over until the full release. Those that have been dedicated and waiting for nearly a decade won't just disappear after Phase 1...they, like me, will still be here waiting patiently for Phase 2. Another potential advantage is that it would allow the community to give feedback on a much more updated version of the game, allowing for more constructive suggestions.

Regardless, I've waited this long so I would be willing to continue to wait. I personally would vote for Option 2 because I know I will stick around until Phase 2 is released, but I can't speak for the majority of the community. Whatever is chosen is fine with me.

With regards to who should be able to vote, having restrictions has it's pros and cons. I partially agree with the argument for having HL verified users only being able to vote, but at the same time, I only got verified recently. Like Sub, I've been here for nearly a decade. Verification isn't a difficult process, but it can be tricky. I couldn't get it to work for the longest time because despite having linked my SteamID to the forums, my Steam profile was set to private and the forum could not verify me until I changed it. Granted, some votes may be more "valuable" than others, but it doesn't mean the voice of others should be restricted. Since the voting list is public, the developers can filter out the non-verified votes if they really wanted to, making restrictions at this point unnecessary.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Although this is my first post I have been playing ESF for a long long time. I have also followed other DBZ mods. IMO, You guys should release it because you never know what could happen. I have seen so many mods all of a sudden shut down or lose their code for some reason or another. However, if that's not a concern then the other reason behind option 2 is that more people can provide feedback on existing features so you can tweak major gameplay aspects sooner rather than later and balance things out. If we wait for option 1 there may still be some gameplay mechanics that the community may not like that wasn't changed beforehand. Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. You guys have really pushed things far with this mod and it's amazing either way! :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Out of all of those DBZ mods, ESF is the only really successful one. I see no reason to release early just to please the impatient.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree. I want a full release. I haven't sat and waited many years for half a game. If it has to be 2013 for us to just see the game then so be it. I am sure all of the people who have been here for many years agree with this. Half a game is pretty much the same thing as a half glass of water. People are going to complain about it being only half complete and buggy. Let alone it could ruin the fun we are expecting as I see it.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Out of all of those DBZ mods, ESF is the only really successful one. I see no reason to release early just to please the impatient.
Well a lot of us have already been waiting a while, so it is not necessarily because we are impatient. In addition, the first post did say that if they don't do phases, it will take a really long time as each character model goes through a lengthy process ("enormous amount of time"). So, we aren't just talking about a little bit longer or anything like that, we could be talking about years... Anyway, that's just my opinion, I'm not saying your wrong or anything. I am just saying that just because ppl voted for the other option doesn't necessarily make them crazy impatient to an extent, perhaps it just makes a release date sound possible compared to the other option (also coming from some one who follows Black Mesa Source XD) and again some of us may have been waiting quite a while as it is. I'd rather them get the game out so we can give more feedback as well. IMO, if they do decide to go with phases maybe they can label it as a demo or preview instead of the full thing that way people aren't confused.

Last edited:
Best answers
I don't think it really matters as long as the bugs are cut down to a minimum, and the gameplay is decent (which i'm sure it is).

I'm sure even if you did do the 2 phase release thing, people are still gonna ask the obvious questions. So, it's a whatever type deal and I think it should be left up to what the developers want to do, it is your game after all.

Also, if anyone cares, i'm a lurker. I just use to play 1.0/1.1 way back when.

Best answers
I don't think it really matters as long as the bugs are cut down to a minimum, and the gameplay is decent (which i'm sure it is).

The answer is obvious, release in two phases. Fixing bugs and better gameplay are a direct result of releasing in 2 phases. Bugs that might not be easily found without a bunch of people playing the game. The rest of you are like arrogant Saiyans who are just toying with the thought of waiting longer as if the end result would be any better, like when Gohan was taking his time with Cell or when Vegito never finished off Buu fast enough. You call yourselves DBZ fans but learned nothing from the teachings of the story, I am disappointed.

Best answers
The answer is obvious, release in two phases. Fixing bugs and better gameplay are a direct result of releasing in 2 phases. Bugs that might not be easily found without a bunch of people playing the game. The rest of you are like arrogant Saiyans who are just toying with the thought of waiting longer as if the end result would be any better, like when Gohan was taking his time with Cell or when Vegito never finished off Buu fast enough. You call yourselves DBZ fans but learned nothing from the teachings of the story, I am disappointed.
How did you make that comparison? It has nothing to do with a better end result, it's all in how the community, or would be community perceives the unfinished game. They worked hard on the mod, so of course they don't want their unfinished game being labelled as finished from people that were to lazy to read.

Like I said, I don't think it's a big deal as long as there's no game breaking bugs.

Wannabe Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I say the 2 phase release schedule.

This way, you can hype up the community and they can play and have fun with this version till the next phase comes out. I honestly can't express it in words, but I think it will turn out a lot better for ESF in the long run.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You do not know patients. Patients is key to games my friend. Would you rather have a buggy game that will ruin your experience with this game or a perfectly stable game? You can say "Oh a buggy game won't affect my views on this game ", but Open Beta Final was horridly terrible with the glitches and such in game. Even though it was fun to play it was something we didn't really want to see and it was due to a "leak" in the system we ended up having open betas. So many people whined and complained about bugs needing to be fixed that it was an unending spam fest of it. Even to this day you will see one or two of those bug reports. We have waited over a decade to see this final version of the game. This complete version of this game and I for one do not wish to see it come out first full of bugs and terror again. Though I am as anxious as everyone else and I know many people here are getting impatient about it but good games take a long time to make. I look at NNK and I see what can possibly happen to ESF Final. Glitches everywhere, a memory leak, and died within 2 weeks. NNK maybe still in work now but R1 turned up very bad and look at its community now. Its like a desert over there. You must have patients or this game could be like NNK is currently.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
You do not know patients. Patients is key to games my friend. Would you rather have a buggy game that will ruin your experience with this game or a perfectly stable game? You can say "Oh a buggy game won't affect my views on this game ", but Open Beta Final was horridly terrible with the glitches and such in game. Even though it was fun to play it was something we didn't really want to see and it was due to a "leak" in the system we ended up having open betas. So many people whined and complained about bugs needing to be fixed that it was an unending spam fest of it. Even to this day you will see one or two of those bug reports. We have waited over a decade to see this final version of the game. This complete version of this game and I for one do not wish to see it come out first full of bugs and terror again. Though I am as anxious as everyone else and I know many people here are getting impatient about it but good games take a long time to make. I look at NNK and I see what can possibly happen to ESF Final. Glitches everywhere, a memory leak, and died within 2 weeks. NNK maybe still in work now but R1 turned up very bad and look at its community now. Its like a desert over there. You must have patients or this game could be like NNK is currently.
Well why would we assume that phase one is crazy buggy or more buggy than the full version? Isn't it more or less just a toned down version with less characters, maps, and modes? I'm sure if they wanted to really release a phase they would polish it to some extent vs the old open beta. I mean why would they even suggest a phased approach in the fist place if they didn't think they could execute it properly? And, if there are bugs, which there will most likely be a few here and there, it's probably things that wouldn't have been caught until after the full release anyway no?

Last edited:
Wannabe Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well why would we assume that phase one is crazy buggy or more buggy than the full version? Isn't it more or less just a toned down version with less characters, maps, and modes? I'm sure if they wanted to really release a phase they would polish it to some extent vs the old open beta. I mean why would they even suggest a phased approach in the fist place if they didn't think they could execute it properly? And, if there are bugs, which there will most likely be a few here and there, it's probably things that wouldn't have been caught until after the full release anyway no?
I agree, they would not suggest this if they did not know they could pull it off. (Kinda rewriting what you said.. I could not explain it.)

Best answers
I'm a little surprised at phase 1 being voted for first at the moment.

Reason I say this is option 2 sounds much better as they'll keep adding transformations, new characters games modes and whatever else they wanted to do. But if they do 1 release it will have less characters, only 1 transformation and less everything. To me I want option 2 just for the fact that you get more stuff. Maybe i'm weird idk but hope option 2 wins as more content = awesome ^_^. I used to have a forum account here but couldn't remember oh well.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
@blade55555 Read again. You are confusing the Options and the Phases.

Now there is a whole lot that can be said both for and against releasing a toned down version of the game early, or releasing a complete version later, but what I want to know is, where do the Devs stand on this? I am pretty sure even they have their preferences selected from the above options. Maybe they could vie for our votes using the Dev blogs. It will be fun.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Option 2 should win, if non hl-verifed users will be allowed to vote. Option 1 is for paranoics and FP members...

Best answers
If you can remember how glitchy it was so does the ESF team. There wouldn't be an option for 2 phases if they they didn't think it could be possible without as many bugs as before, they are smarter than that. Two phases is the only way for a faster and more complete release of the game simply because of the feedback.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I'm glad that so many new people have joined and provide some new input with their fresh eyes. I've said mine so I won't argue anymore for it. But I'm eager to know what the devs themselves think and if they can come in here and set the "frame" of what it would actually mean to release with option 1 i.e "a playable version?" This is for the amount of guesswork and arguments at the moment that could sway people here and there.

Being a moderator on the NNK forums I'm saddened to see that the hype died off so quickly and that all of that hard work didn't pay off. I would hate for that to happen to this community!

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Its amazing how everyone comes out of the woodwork when its time to get something, but when it comes to contributing to the community over a period of time, but a few are to be found.

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Its amazing how everyone comes out of the woodwork when its time to get something, but when it comes to contributing to the community over a period of time, but a few are to be found.
And half of their past posts were about the ESF release date and nothing else...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom