ESF 10-Year Public Release Anniversary

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Man, this thread makes me feel old ... 10 years!
You said it... time just flies. I wish I could rewind back to when I was 18 and do some things differently.

But yeah, definitely some good times.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You said it... time just flies. I wish I could rewind back to when I was 18 and do some things differently.

But yeah, definitely some good times.
You know you can always go back to giving the newblood the hippo speach ^^

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Two to three days from now (since according to http://web.archive.org/web/20010719114514/http://www.oktagone.net/~eforces/), 10 years would have passed since the first public in-development Alpha.

I'm thinking of either playing with y'all or somehow do a movie to kick off those 10 years (officially). Be aware I have not played much online before (some already know) since I used to play against Bots or over the LAN against my siblings. :p

If I have to, I'll do a montage (using recorded footage) consisting of Alpha 1.5, Alpha 2.0 (skipping Alpha 1.7-1.9), Beta 1.0, possibly Beta 1.1, and present day Beta 1.2 (at Beta 1.2.3). I might also add the final open beta if anyone is interested.

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Wow, ten years eh? Much kudos to the team for sticking with it for so long. :) (and much love :love: )

I first came across ESF when a PC magazine had a disc with it that had a bunch of HL mods. DragonMod Z was on there too (and Natural Selection I think). Me and my brother saw DMZ and were like "oooo a dbz mod". After a while of playing that we tried ESF and were like "oooo another dbz mod.....only this one is much much better." :p Net sucked though so we just played on LAN with bots. Think that was Beta 1.0. Never played any earlier versions than that. And then 1.2 came out during my college exams. <_<

EDIT:

Also, I joined the forum a little after getting 1.2 I believe. I think my first post may have been in the suggestion thread for Tien, think I had a small disagreement with someone over that too, possibly imkongkong, not sure anymore.

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wow, ten years eh? Much kudos to the team for sticking with it for so long. :) (and much love :love: )

I first came across ESF when a PC magazine had a disc with it that had a bunch of HL mods. DragonMod Z was on there too (and Natural Selection I think). Me and my brother saw DMZ and were like "oooo a dbz mod". After a while of playing that we tried ESF and were like "oooo another dbz mod.....only this one is much much better." :p Net sucked though so we just played on LAN with bots. Think that was Beta 1.0. Never played any earlier versions than that. And then 1.2 came out during my college exams. <_<

EDIT:

Also, I joined the forum a little after getting 1.2 I believe. I think my first post may have been in the suggestion thread for Tien, think I had a small disagreement with someone over that too, possibly imkongkong, not sure anymore.
Project Tien is still a go though. If the community gets us the animated models, well add him XD

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Ahahaha. XD Wow, what was the last plan for him again? Buddied with Yamcha or something wasn't it? I wonder if anyone still has the most recent files for Tien. Half the animations are probably out of date now, and the model quality would probably need improving again. :p

EDIT:

If Tien got finished how about that Project Gotenks? XD

Last edited:

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Grega, do you happen to know where the model is to download and a list of animations done / that need to be done?

What about sounds?

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Here is a copy of the model. No idea on the state of animations or sounds....or sprites.

EDIT:

And to make things even better, I think that texture is the one by teknik that was editted by Where's_warren.....which both no longer want used on the model. <_< Soooo.....we have a model.....no texture....hardly any (if at all) animations, no sprites, and no sounds. Getting there! XD

Last edited:
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Project Tien is still a go though. If the community gets us the animated models, well add him XD
Not to be a nit picker or sound like an ass (which aren't my intentions at all!), but I keep hearing people talk about Operation Tien (mainly you!) still being active, but when you think about it, at this point in time there's no way it will be completed. If the community and the team really wants Tien in ESF, it'd be pretty much up to DT and GG right now. The amount of animations DT has made is incredible, and with a normal compiler, there's no way you'd be able to get 500 animations compiled into one model. Also due to the fact that the model isn't up to ESF standard's anymore, and I'm not sure if anybody in the community is up to DT's standards animation wise, let alone even willing to do 500+ animations (especially without a specific list of all of the animations that will be needed in 1.3).

I'm sure you were joking, but I just thought I'd get that off my chest XD

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You can easily ask DT to compile it for you. And as far as i know DT, he would be happy to even assist you with pointers on the animations.

Your point is?

The deals made with the community regarding Tien and Gotenks still stand.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Happy Birthday ESF
In Russia at time of posting was 1:02 AM

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You can easily ask DT to compile it for you. And as far as i know DT, he would be happy to even assist you with pointers on the animations.

Your point is?

Wait, what?? Project Gotenks?
I thought the devs said it's not going to happen.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wait, what?? Project Gotenks?
I thought the devs said it's not going to happen.
The deal was as follows.

If the community finishes Project Tien, then, and ONLY THEN can they start a second project. Namely Gotenks. So if Project Tien gets 100% done, then the community can do the same as for Tien, but this time it would be Gotenks. You probably dont know this because Tien was never over 50% finished in the last 7 years.

The design for Gotenks was as follows. You start off as Trunks and Goten in buddy mode and then transform into Gotenks. Ofcourse same rules would apply for him as for Tien. The community does the modeling and animation work.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

Your point is?

My point is, despite the fact that the projects are still going, with how far ESF has progressed I don't think it's worth it for me or anyone else in the community to attempt to animate the model. Not only that, but right now we're lacking a list of what animations that are needed to be done for the model. If anybody were to continue this, they would be going by ESF 1.2's animation list instead of 1.3, which seems like a waste of time.

I know DT would be more than willing to give out pointers, but the main problem is, it seems the community lacks the experience and skill for the animations to be up to par with ESF's current standards. Not only that, but the model and skin are old and need to be improved, and doing the rig in 3dsmax would be a pain in the ass, having to assign bones and set up controllers. I personally think that Tien would be a great addition to 1.3, but I honestly don't care enough about it to actually gather the people to upgrade the model to ESF's standards, rig the model, and then attempt to animate it while matching ESF's current quality.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
I don't really care about Tien, the one I want to play with is Gotenks. Because is one from the few characters that can go to ssj3 and has some unique attacks. He could be like goku, starting from base then go ssj, next ssj2 and then to ssj3 without overpowered stats. Well I m not old here enought to know why team gave such a good character to the community to make and I think it was a bad move.

It's not like you will start as Trunks or Goten and then do the fusion dance to become uberstrong like in some addons. We are talking about a unique balanced character.

I didn't say the above things to offend the team. I respect them for what they have done so far and the dedication they show everyday for this mod.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't really care about Tien, the one I want to play with is Gotenks. Because is one from the few characters that can go to ssj3 and has some unique attacks. He could be like goku, starting from base then go ssj, next ssj2 and then to ssj3 without overpowered stats. Well I m not old here enought to know why team gave such a good character to the community to make and I think it was a bad move.

It's not like you will start as Trunks or Goten and then do the fusion dance to become uberstrong like in some addons. We are talking about a unique balanced character.

I didn't say the above things to offend the team. I respect them for what they have done so far and the dedication they show everyday for this mod.
Its been stated that the team will not be doing Tien or Gotenks. The community persisted with Tien suggestions, so the team said "OK, but you do the modeling, sound and animationg work Then we will add him in".

Tien wasnt given to the community it was the communities idea in the first place.

Project Manager
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ever thought of the fact that we lack the manpower to do it ;-) even if we wanted to ?

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Its been stated that the team will not be doing Tien or Gotenks. The community persisted with Tien suggestions, so the team said "OK, but you do the modeling, sound and animationg work Then we will add him in".

Tien wasnt given to the community it was the communities idea in the first place.
Damn them :p They persisted with the wrong character.

Anyway, I agree with Dam, ESF:Final's models and characters are different now. I don't know if there is someone who can pull it off.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
My point is, despite the fact that the projects are still going, with how far ESF has progressed I don't think it's worth it for me or anyone else in the community to attempt to animate the model. Not only that, but right now we're lacking a list of what animations that are needed to be done for the model. If anybody were to continue this, they would be going by ESF 1.2's animation list instead of 1.3, which seems like a waste of time.

I know DT would be more than willing to give out pointers, but the main problem is, it seems the community lacks the experience and skill for the animations to be up to par with ESF's current standards. Not only that, but the model and skin are old and need to be improved, and doing the rig in 3dsmax would be a pain in the ass, having to assign bones and set up controllers. I personally think that Tien would be a great addition to 1.3, but I honestly don't care enough about it to actually gather the people to upgrade the model to ESF's standards, rig the model, and then attempt to animate it while matching ESF's current quality.

This. Even if the community got a tien working ingame, playing the character would give the vibe that the game is unfinished and you're using some janky placeholder. No offense to the community. I just think the model/skin/animations would look out of place compared to the work of the dev team.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ever thought of the fact that we lack the manpower to do it ;-) even if we wanted to ?
Haha, I've thought of that. I understand the situation, but I just wanted to voice my opinion on the matter. Like I said in the chatbox before I went to bed, I actually think the idea of having a community project like this is neat. It's just that if Tien were to be completed, you'd have a 5 year old model and skin with sub-par animations compared to the ~11(?) characters with amazing models, skins, and animations.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom