Doom 3 Info

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I didn't look at low details, but I would guess if you looked at screenshots of the xbox version it'd look like that, less bump mapping and other stuff.

Best answers
:| how exactly is a 9800pro XT, a medium tho? (i know i know u said ur estimating) ... because this game was in progress back on even lower quality cards (that are still good today). And a 9800xt for example is more than double the power of what doom3 was being developed on.

Best answers
By high graphics, he might mean 1280x1024 resolution, full AA and AF with max details, in which case, a 9800xt won't do.
Instead of bugging the guy about whether it'll run on your PC, just take a look at these;
Benchmark results
Also, the term, "running well" is subjective. I'll be comfortable with 30-40 fps but some of you might think that "running well" is 100fps...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
For all of you that want a complete detailed report on how your system will handle doom 3, then check out this detailed write-up that has everything about the fps you'll have, at what quality setting, and how it compares to other systems.

The thing that surprised me, is that even on the very bare minimum requirements, it still looks incredible. Which is good for me since my comp just barely squeezes in. I knew they were making it so even lower-end systems could handle it well, but this is really unbelievable.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Currently, I have a middle end system, according to what you posted, Smith. But, I am going to build my own computer this January.

Specifications:

3.4 GHz Pentium 4- 800MHz FSB (might go to the 1066 MHz which might be out in Jan. - not sure on when they become available) 1MB L2 Cache
ASUS "P4C800-E DELUXE" i875P Chipset Motherboard (might get something better, although this is good enough)
Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - OEM (might go for the DDR533 at 2 Gigs, duel chan. ofcourse - not that much more expensive)
Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model WD800JBRTL, Retail
Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD360GD (to boot up WinXP...drooool)
ANTEC Performance Plus Case with 430W Power Supply
ATi Radeon X800 XT PE 256 Mb (yeah, I want HL2 more than Doom3 :p )

The case supports 5 fans, but I might get one that supports 7 fans...

Best answers
^Nice PC you're getting. I'm hoping to get something similar myself before the end of the year, not build it myself though since I've had no experience.
Btw, who says that the Radeon X800 runs HL2 better than the Geforce 6800? I know the old cards did, but I've not seen any new HL2 benchmarks since the new cards have been released.

Best answers
Doom 3 is shipping today, I for one am not going to get it.

Waiting to get my surround speakers.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, i'll probably end up getting it for x-box and playing co-op on x-box live, but i might as well ask how my pc will hold up (directed at anyone)

AMD Athlon 1800+ 1.55 ghz
512 ddr ram
Radeon 9200 128mb ddr dram

I know it'll play real crap, but it'll be playable..ish right ?

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
@jonesdaniel

DX 9.0 compatible 3D card w/ 64MB RAM*
MS Windows 2000/XP
Pentium 4 1.5 GHz or Athlon XP 1500+
384 MB RAM
8x CD-ROM
2.2 GB of HD space
Broadband (for multiplayer)

*Supported 3D Graphics chipsets:
ATI: Radeon 8500, 9000, 9200, 9500, 9600, 9700, 9800
NVIDIA: GeForce 3, GeForce 4MX, GeForce 4 Titanium, GeForce FX, GeForce 6

this should answer your question

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ah right, cool. Cheers Prozac. It miiiiight be worth having a look at then :)

Best answers
You should look at the new tests that Hash posted. It'll tell you how it'll run on different rigs, and it shows you what low quality looks like. In my opinion, even low quality and low res looks better than most of the games out at the moment, so I won't mind turning down the settings for extra fps.
Of course I might get it for Xbox aswell, coop should be awesome, but it would mean shelling out for Xbox live aswell. Since Halo 2 is out in November though, it might just be a worthy investment...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Right, well i did look at that guide Hash gave, and low still looks amazing. There isn't really much difference between low and medium that i could really see.
Even if i get it for pc, i'll still get it for x-box at x-mas, so if anyone else does get it, maybe we could run through a co-op game together, and see who screams first mwahaha :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
According to some scans it does have a cd-key... hm...

Best answers
Insane. The official trailer has been released. Grab it at www.fileplanet.com

Absolutly insane. I watched it.. there were voices. This game is gonna scare the crap out of me. Release date is set for the 3rd.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Shipping date is set on the third isn't it?

And this game BETTER not suck. ;)

Best answers
Actually the trailer said 8.3.04, so I would go with the official trailer.

*EDIT* According to a site, if you live in Madison, WI. It is available NOW at Best Buy, some kind of mistake I would guess. Someone said they had it... no one believed them, until he posted a picture with the Doom 3 case sitting next to the monitor that showed the webpage he was at. In the corner it said Best Buy, 54.99. I'll post an edited picture here, I would be violating the AUP by telling you what site it is.

*EDIT*

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's being sold in a lot of best buys.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
XsilentlyXdiesX said:
Doom 3 is shipping today, I for one am not going to get it.

Waiting to get my surround speakers.
You know...part of me wants to do that too. But then I think of the lack of replay value this game's gonna have, and I decided to wait. I'll play it with my studio headphones on now, but later when I get a better machine I'll replay it on higher quality and stuff. That way I will eventually get around to seeing it in all it's beastly glory.

@the half-life 2 comments on nvidia versus ati...the reason no new benchmarks have been released yet for the new nvidia stuff is because hl2 probably still doesn't work right with them and dx9. :0(

Best answers
Damn. If the game wasn't so ****ing scary I'd go buy it. As it is, I'll wait for Half-Life 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom