Beta 1.1 Lag/Fps Tweaks

Best answers
didnt download it, the second it loads the page 2 objects ask for download, i click no, then it says on both you must click OK
After that it tries to make me download plugin.exe I get a virus warning before clicking open/save/close about plugin.exe[2]

Im a computer technician and web page designer; i dont download "junk" on the machines i care about....

Best answers
OK here is my config file.
to make it load automatically, place it in valve.rc in your ESF folder.
if valve.rc does not exist right click on empty place, hover over new then select new text document.
when the text file comes up wanting a name, type in valve.rc press enter. on the Rename error click yes. Its just letting you know that the "rc" is not a file your computer can read.
next right click the valve.rc file click open with then select notepad from the list of programs.

copy/paste or type in the following commands

s_refgain 0.4
s_refdelay 4
s_occfactor 0.25
s_verbwet 0.25
s_distance 120
fps_max "110"
cl_rate "20000"
gl_max_size "256"
cl_fxquality "2"
precache "1"
cl_dusttrails "0"
gl_texturemode "GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR"
r_mmx "1"
r_dynamic "0"
cl_showfps "0"
fps_modem "0"
rate "9999"
scr_conspeed "99999"
gamma "3"
brightness "5"
net_graph "3"
vid_describemode "1"
bgmvolume "1"
cl_updaterate "40"
gl_keeptjunctions "0"
gl_lightholes "0"
cl_lw "1"
cl_lc "1"
cl_gg "0"
gl_pimip "0"
gl_playermip "0"
gl_smoothmodels "0"
gl_ztrick "1"
gl_wateramp "0"
loadas8bit "0"
r_dynamic "0"
r_mirroralpha "0"
s_eax "0"
s_reverb "0"
violence_ablood "0"
violence_agibs "0"
violence_hblood "0"
violence_hgibs "0"
stuffcmds

This will turn off the blood and such you really dont get to see anyway seeing how fast paced the game is, and your opponent is thrown halfway across the screen when you hit them.
turns off most sound effects such as eax and reverb which will slightly increase FPS; turns off reflective textures; turns off waves in the water and other graphic effects. if you have problems with these settings just put // in front of the ones you do NOT want to keep. Next post is a definition of each cvars' function.

Best answers
all commands but stuffcmds require a value
Example fps_max "100"
stuffcmds
used to initialize client console commands from server

violence_hgibs
enable max gibs

violence_hblood
enable max blood

violence_agibs
enable gibs

violence_ablood
enable blood

s_reverb
enable reverb

s_eax
enable EAX support

r_mirroralpha
enable reflective textures

r_dynamic
enable dynamic lighting -- the light reflections glowing objects make on other objects nearby, such as rockets and the flashlight

gl_wateramp
enable amplified (higher) waves in water.

gl_ztrick
speeds up renndering on some 3dfx cards (and maybe others), but may cause flickering on some video cards

gl_smoothmodels -(not valid in ESF)
enable model smoothing.

gl_playermip
set player rendering quality (0,1,2, higher is faster and lower quality) see gl_playermip, gl_texturemode

gl_pimip
set rendering quality (0,1,2, higher is faster and lower quality) see gl_playermip, gl_texturemode

cl_gg
enable Game Gauge mode (gg starts running a demo in gamegauge mode and will report averag FPS at the end

cl_lc
enable lag compensation (if server enables with sv_unlag 1)

cl_lw
enable client-side (lagless) weapon animations and sounds. If 1, weapons animation and sounds will fire instantly, but the real shot must be acknowledged by the server to happen, so animation/sounds may not match server reality. Leave on (1) if you have lag compensation on (cl_lc 1).

gl_lightholes
enable light holes

gl_keeptjunctions
enable allowing slight cracks between textures, setting to 1 may look better on some video cards, but will be a bit slower (fewer fps)

cl_updaterate
set number of updates client will request from the server each second. In general, the more players in the game, the lower this should be. Lower than 12 will cause choppiness, but 15 may be great for some slow connections. Cable and DSL connections may like 30-40, unless there are too many players on the server. For lan games, use 50.

bgmvolume
enable CD audio (0 may improve performance)

scr_conspeed
set the console scroll speed

rate
replaced by cl_rate

fps_modem
replaced by fps_max

r_mmx
force MMX calculation methods for MMX CPU's (set to 1 if your CPU supports MMX! Any p2 does, as do most newer AMD and Cyrix chips. If using 1 reduces perfomance, set back to 0)

gl_texturemode "GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR"
medium high video setting

cl_dusttrails
enable dustrails from swoops (ESF only cvar)

precache
enable pre-loading of all needed files at map start (1 may help skipping/stoppoing problems)

cl_fxquality
0, 1, 2, or 3 0 for none and add 1 sprite shown for 1-3
eg 2 would show you two sprites for transforming

gl_max_size
set the maximum texture size (higher may look better, but may slow performance if set too high)

cl_rate
set rate that client will send data to the server in bytes per second (suggested starting values: 1000-4000 modem, 5000-7000 ISDN, 6000-10000 cable/DSL, 7000-20000 T1, 20000+ LAN) -- bad values cause LAG! turn on the net_graph 3 to help evaluate different values, and try non-integers like 4001.0528.

fps_max
set the maximum number of frames per second that the game will try to render. Similar to the old fps_modem, but no longer affects network lag.

s_refgain - s_verbwet
a3d 2.0 only options

Best answers
none of this boosted my fps at all, it just made my graphics look like crap, fps stayed in the 20's

Best answers
i think this "tweak" is only XP compatible cuz it dont work with 2000 or 98

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah it must only work with XP since it works with my computer which is 98 :S

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
sorry to post this mabye som sort of newbie question but how do u ad those lines ?? i mean i open autoexe and then u get that stuff open with.... and then what do i do ?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Open your autoexec.cfg using NOTEPAD, copy and paste the stuff from here into the file, save.

Best answers
ZTiMaStA said:
i think i get it now :D
Read my instructions on creating a valve.rc file which is still auto executed in the new half-life release.

Best answers
[SSJ]MyStIc said:
i think this "tweak" is only XP compatible cuz it dont work with 2000 or 98
Half-life is half-life no mater what OS it is on; these are half-life specific tweaks. Yes it made your graphics look like crap but should have boosted your FPS.

Your problem is probably hardware related and not software; make sure you have enough ram to support your OS and video card, make sure your CPU can support your video card and make sure your motherboard properly supports your HDD, CPU, AGP, and RAM type.
Then make sure you have properly installed the latest drivers and Direct X version for all your hardware. This includes latest INF updates for your motherboard chipset, flashing your motherboard bios/video bios, and installing windows drivers.

If you have done this and can confirm everything is either meeting or exceeding your minimum requirments then you should at least hit 30-40 fps.

Best answers
a little help guys i already found the autoexe thing the problem is the only mode i play in is lan and Mr.satan's list didnt help much its still lagging if u can please help

Best answers
fyrye said:
Half-life is half-life no mater what OS it is on; these are half-life specific tweaks. Yes it made your graphics look like crap but should have boosted your FPS.

Your problem is probably hardware related and not software; make sure you have enough ram to support your OS and video card, make sure your CPU can support your video card and make sure your motherboard properly supports your HDD, CPU, AGP, and RAM type.
Then make sure you have properly installed the latest drivers and Direct X version for all your hardware. This includes latest INF updates for your motherboard chipset, flashing your motherboard bios/video bios, and installing windows drivers.

If you have done this and can confirm everything is either meeting or exceeding your minimum requirments then you should at least hit 30-40 fps.
when i had windows XP i used the tweak and had constant 99 fps.
now i got windows 2000 and im using all the same commands and stuff in my autoex as in windows xp and i get like fps in the 20's and 30's. Nothing changed in my comp hardwarewise

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have XP and the tweaks worked lovely for me. Maybe your'e not saving your not doing something right? Depends, if your computer is already GOOD then I don't think you'll see a different, except for cheaper GFX. :rolleyes:

Fyrye, you have been told several times to stop double posting, use the
button. Same goes for you EnigmaHer0. :)

Best answers
i think my comp is ok.. I got

p4 2.4 ghz cpu
ATI Radeon 9700 pro 128 mbs
1 gb DDR Ram

Best answers
In the 1.0 version i had a very good ping like 30!!!
In this version my ping is like 60!!!!!!!!
And i don't know why....
so please if someone know what to do just tell me in icq:
or post me here the ansewr...
If you want my computer information is:
Intel Pentium 4 1700Mhz (My computer)
40 GB (got 20 GB left) (hard disk memory)
512 MB Ram (Memory)
Nvidia GeForce 4 TI4200 128MB (Graphic Card)
Windows XP (windows version)
Creative Sound Blaster Digital 4.1 (sound card)
Creative Inspire 4.1 4400 (speaker system)

thanks alot if u solve my problem :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom