Beta 1.1 Lag/Fps Tweaks

Best answers
Originally posted by Ultimate 17
Now my turn with a question...

Originally I downloaded that fps-fixer because I have Windows XP and my fps is limited to only 60 fps when I know with my current set-up, I can achieve more. I didn't know what I was doing with the fps-fixer... it just gave a bunch of numbers in mhz for refresh rate. What do these numbers mean and which is best for optimal fps? Also, normally I run my desktop at 1024x700 or something like that, but in ESF I run OpenGL at 800x680, so do I tweak the fps-fixer for the 1024x700 or for 800x680? I set the 800x680 to 120mhz refresh rate, restarted my computer, and my video settings were messed.

Last week I downloaded the new nvidia drivers for geforce it also has fram refresh options on that too. Whats recommended refresh rates for optimal performance?
Every video card has its up points and down points. Like mine is good with SMOOTHVISION which smooths out harsh lines in high resolutions but bad with KTX buffer support.
Easiest way to explain it is this;
The better it looks the lower the FPS, in other words your video card is doing more to make it look good slowing you down.
Refresh rate is how fast the video card refreshes the monitor. the low the refresh rate IE 60hz the more noticible lines will be when drawn to the montior. You know when you see a TV on TV and you see the lines going through it, thats the refresh rate...

Basically just play with it till your happy, and it works.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I probably shouldn't post this, but what the hey.

In Counter-Strike (also ESF) the autoexec.cfg doesn't work. ESF comes with an autoexec.cfg, but for some reason my CS didn't come with one. So I did what Mr. Satan told me to do, create a notepad and rename it autoexec.cfg. So, I did.. I join a server and my config is still the same as before. I tried /exec autoexec.cfg in console, but nothing happened. How do I get the autoexec.cfg to work:confused:

:tired:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
you can always put +exec autoexec.cfg in your CS Shortcut TARGET line.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by grOOvy
r_displayrefresh "100"
Tells Half-Life to force my 100hz refresh rate. THis is kind of redundant since RefreshLock forces it anyway, but I wanted to be certain, and non-XP people may be able to use this command as well.

vid_wait "1"
This is SUPPOSED to turn on Vsync. I want this because my Vsync would sync me in at 100fps max...which is the engine's max anyway, so I wouldn't be missing out. I get refresh rate tearing, which is why I set this...but as yet, it has made no difference either way. Maybe there is a setting in the CONFIG.CFG file that is overriding this one?
Those are invalid Cvars.

Best answers
Originally posted by killuA p0M
I probably shouldn't post this, but what the hey.

In Counter-Strike (also ESF) the autoexec.cfg doesn't work. ESF comes with an autoexec.cfg, but for some reason my CS didn't come with one. So I did what Mr. Satan told me to do, create a notepad and rename it autoexec.cfg. So, I did.. I join a server and my config is still the same as before. I tried /exec autoexec.cfg in console, but nothing happened. How do I get the autoexec.cfg to work:confused:

:tired:
Easy fix i posted earlier for this.
the exec autoexec.cfg in your config.cfg will be erased everytime you start the game.
Instead of doing this create a txt file using notepad. save it as valve.rc in your ESF folder
Add your cvars/commands to it and it works the same as autoexec.cfg but no having to put exec autoexec.cfg etc.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by Mr. Satan
Those are invalid Cvars.
Then what are the current ones, if you know them? I don't want to have to set my refresh rate to "Always On" if I can make it just for Half-Life.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
this mabye stupid question but how do u ad those lines to ur the autoexec.cfg

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
i did all of this and it increesed my ping with 500 in nl gamecity where i usually have 50 wtf is going on

Best answers
Originally posted by ZTiMaStA
this mabye stupid question but how do u ad those lines to ur the autoexec.cfg
OK simple, right click autoexec.cfg in the menu select Open With...
Select notepad or wordpad from the list, take note wordpad may corrupt certain text while notepad may not. there is also a great program out called ultraedit which can also read HEX code and will not alter your text/code even if you do not have the fonts to display it IE: show you this- ░

Best answers
Originally posted by ZTiMaStA
i did all of this and it increesed my ping with 500 in nl gamecity where i usually have 50 wtf is going on
In some cases certain tweaks your computer may not be able to handle, ie: gl_max_size "512" may just be too much for your machine. Thus causing your CPU to work double time to support it slowing down your NIC/Modem, causing you to lag. As well the rate values may cause you to lag if your ISP / connection type can not utilize it.

Best answers
r_mmx = "n" "n" being 1-on or 0-off

force MMX calculation methods for MMX CPU's (set to 1 if your CPU supports MMX! Any p2 does, as do most newer AMD and Cyrix chips. If using 1 reduces perfomance, set back to 0)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have a couple of questions.

Q: What does vsync do?
Q: What do "drivers" do exactly?
Q: Why must there be such thing as FPS!?:p

Best answers
Originally posted by killuA p0M
I have a couple of questions.

Q: What does vsync do?
Q: What do "drivers" do exactly?
Q: Why must there be such thing as FPS!?:p
1)wait for Vsync allows your video card to wait until it syncs itself with what your running, making your application more stable, yet slower loading. To much load may be choppy.
This is not to be confused with refresh rate. which is your monitors ability to refresh what you are currently seeing. if it were too slow you would litterally see lines of pictures being drawn out in your monitor.

2) All hardware needs "drivers" Drivers tell your OS how to handle your hardware and vice versa. Some more advanced drivers tell your hardware how to handle other hardware such as ATI's SMARTGART, which checks your computers functionality and setting the best settings for you.

3) The reason there is FPS is because everything you see in your life is like a picture, in order to create motion you must add a bunch of different pictures together. Like a movie at the movie theaters or any cartoon. Each having so many frames captured per second, EG: FPS. The matrix being a good example.
The slower the FPS the choppier the animation is or the more gaps between each animation.

If you want actual definitions search online or contact a Technical School specializing in graphics and animation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom