Battlefield 3 is offiically ruined now; mod tools released.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MordorHQ.com Community Member Frankelstner is at it again.

After working with several community members yesterday to release a suite of graphical improvement modifications for DICE's Battlefield 3, Frankelstner has decided to release the software that allows him to create a broad variety of modifications to the game's configuration settings; in other words, the mod tools DICE said they would never make public.

From the author's release statement:

"The sad reality is that DICE did not code Battlefield 3 properly. In this instance of the franchise, with comparison to previous games, the majority of configurations were established on the client side of the game. To make matters worse, DICE did not configure the game’s iteration of Punkbuster to check the MD5 hash."

"This gives us the ability to modify content to our wishing through simple Python scripts, while having the ability to freely implement such modifications on ranked multiplayer servers."

"With the release of this toolset, I am making a statement that I will not deprive the community of their rights to enjoy the game. Most importantly however, I want to bring to light the flaws that DICE has created in part due to laziness and arrogance."
"As a matter of fact, the ability to use these values to alter multiplayer settings were not brought to light until I realized that Battlefield 3’s anti-cheat system did not check for modified file content. Testing modifications on live multiplayer was something I never even dreamed of."

With the release of the tools, Battlelog (The official Battlefield 3, DICE operated forum) has gone in an uproar. As with this mod tool, the number of advantages any player could give themselves are almost "limitless"; from Weapon Damage, Field of View, Recoil and Suppression...things are about to get ugly at DICE HQ.

More information on the modification tools can be found here: http://www.mordorhq.com/showthread.php?2955-OFFICIAL-Battlefield-3-File-Tweaker
Wasn't a sparkling gem before this, but now it's a turd for sure.

When I first saw the news article, I nearly fell over from excitement, thinking DICE had officially released tools. Not so...sadly.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I was also excited when I saw this thread, even though the name. Yes, now people can mod the game to the same extent as Skyrim. NOPE! :p Funny thing is, I don't even play the game anymore because I suck at it :/

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mmkay, for those of you didn't understand the post, let me simplify it to the most basic level.

A user, using these tools, can modify a gun, just for himself, to say, have infinite ammo, one hit kill, and aimbot. Anything really.

And he can use this online, in ranked servers, on any server really. Because DICE thought Frostbite 2.0 was "so complex", that no user could possibly home modify it. Hence, in Punkbuster, they never set a flag to check for modified content, or server consistency, which every game ever has had for years.

DICE got cocky, and now, until this is fixed, BF3 can be hacked no problem and PB can't ban them.

Best answers
Mmkay, for those of you didn't understand the post, let me simplify it to the most basic level.

A user, using these tools, can modify a gun, just for himself, to say, have infinite ammo, one hit kill, and aimbot. Anything really.

And he can use this online, in ranked servers, on any server really. Because DICE thought Frostbite 2.0 was "so complex", that no user could possibly home modify it. Hence, in Punkbuster, they never set a flag to check for modified content, or server consistency, which every game ever has had for years.

DICE got cocky, and now, until this is fixed, BF3 can be hacked no problem and PB can't ban them.
Seriously? Shouldn't it be moddable like in BF2? Servers wouldn't read their modified game information? How come nobody is bi**hing yet in the Battlelog forums?

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tons of people are *****ing on the Battlelog. What're you talking about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom