After image technique vs. automatic after images

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I like the idea of the after images, and I think they make a good addition to the game, but if they are going to come without a cost I have an issue with teleporting in 1.2 .

We've all seen the afterimages by now and we've heard beta testers say they were tricked by them. Er... I can't find the exact words I'm looking for. Let me just throw out my suggestion and the rest of you can fill in the blanks.

If afterimages are free, as in teleportation cost remaining the same and just tagging on the afterimages, there is no way it will be possible to get around in-game without abusing the hell out of them. As cool as they look the novelty is going to wear off fast and people will either learn to get around them or be continuously frustrated by them. Obviously anybody who keeps falling for them will get frustrated and some people will get so used to it that they wont even flinch, and I see this as somewhat of a problem. Afterimages are great, but here's what I'm thinking:

Make afterimages an alternate teleport. Wouldn't be too complicated, 'bind 'g' teleport' and 'bind 'h' teleport2'. Teleport would be the original function left wholly intact and wholly without after images. Teleport 2 would create an after image but at double the teleport cost. Why double? Because when you aren't transformed you can already teleport 7 times. You don't need to trick somebody with 7 after images. Doubling the cost would also make it a *technique* instead of just eye candy. If you are swooping around somebody trying to hit them in the side or the back and you're teleporting all over the place constantly leaving afterimages you could screw up and leave a trail that's easy to follow, or you could just be trying to get somewhere discretely and make yourself really obvious really fast. The goal of moving so fast that you can't be seen isn't to leave a trail of fading bodies unless you're in combat and want to move that fast.

Anyway, back on the idea. A lot of people will probably ask why everybody wouldn't just use regular teleportation then if the cost was so high on the afterimages, and my answer to that would be that they wouldn't have to, but if they knew what they were doing and wanted to take a shot at confusing their opponent they could throw one in during match. If you aren't leaving an afterimage after every single teleport people wont be trying to see through it all the time, they'll just be chasing after you, and that could give you an opportunity to pull out an afterimage and throw them off just long enough for you to swoop in from behind them or sit and watch them waste ki swooping around looking for where you went. For those of you who are die hard Dragonball fans you should know this was more of a technique on the show than just something that happened whenever they zipped from Point A to Point B.

Another problem even I would have with this idea is that the afterimages don't usually last long enough to trick people unless you're damn close to them, so I'd have to reccomend setting them to face about a half second later than they do now just to make them worth using.

Well, that's my idea, tear it to shreds people.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well then someone could just bind the normal teleport key to "teleport2" and use it the same "abusive" way u explained before

Best answers
Not . . . really...... I think you misunderstand: two teleports. One = normal. The other = afterimage+high ki cost... Two COMPLETELY different functions... If you're thinking of a script that makes somebody do both at the same time, then that wouldn't work either, because then you'd be losing 3 times the ki for the price of 2 teleports + 1 after image.

I like the idea, Boyster. It makes perfect sense, and I honestly hope people (or atleast the team members) realize it's a good idea.... I only have one problem : the "G" and "H" keys aint a good idea... Think of all the poor people with their keys seperated down the middle!! :(

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
really if ur confused by the after image again and again you are an idiot and shouldnt be playing

there not that hard to tell its fake so i dont see any reason to add a new key with old teleporting

because even if the image does fool u its not going to stop u cause u just fly right through it and continue

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hibiki said:
really if ur confused by the after image again and again you are an idiot and shouldnt be playing

there not that hard to tell its fake so i dont see any reason to add a new key with old teleporting

because even if the image does fool u its not going to stop u cause u just fly right through it and continue

Then there's an excuse to make it look better. The point is if you only use an afterimage once every 20 teleports it has a hell of a lot higher chance of actually confusing somebody than if there are afterimages all over where your opponent just was. And I realize people could could just fly through it but that doesn't mean it wouldn't buy you some time. Swoop up behind him and try to hit him in the back. Or, make the after image and then use a regular teleport to get right back to where you left the image to attack him from there. There are options, yo.

Best answers
oooo i see
and becides... the show does not have after images every time someone teles and ya this is a good idea instead of always seein the after image u can use it once in a while and confuse someone!

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
WOW. I love that idea. It would be annoying if you see an afterimage EVERYTIME someone telports. And i do think that it can confuse some1 on occasion. But i dont think it should cost twice as much ki. Maybe more like 1.5 times, since swooping takes away most of your ki now.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm liking the idea. Perhaps not the 2 times the cost, but rather the 1.5 times the cost.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Or keep the normal KI cost and make normal teleport 1.5 times the distance. This being you speend that .5 distance makeing the after image.

Only problem is is that my keys for my server, my attacks, and some other binds (this incldeing where I keep my binds located) I will have to make much more room. (argh I really dont like rebinding all of my commands)

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually it would make more sense to have the zanzoken with the afterimage move you farther in the direction you teleport than the regular teleport. For one, the ki cost is higher and you are therefore expending more energy / moving faster than a regular zanzoken. Two, if people wanted to abuse teleportation binds they might be more tempted to use the version of zanzoken with the afterimage so that they would travel further, but this would of course leave a trail for his opponent to follow. Thirdly, a longer teleport would be more difficult to use effectively in the middle of a melee battle and would in turn be harder to abuse. If you did end up pumping the distance for the version with the after image the ki cost would have to go up as well though.

Increasing the distance of the regular zanzoken would just make it even harder to catch people who want to hit you with a generic beam and tele away before you can catch them. If neither teleported you farther than the other I'd be just fine with that too.

Best answers
What are you guys thinking? Adding high level strategy into ESF? Don't be fools! You know it'll never get in! Just like every other suggest that requires people to think! :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
theres already strategies used with the normal normal teleport

i mean theres really no use for this besides making an extra buttion that makes u teleport farther and all that will cause is people complaning that they can go all the way to the other side of the mouse with the teleport

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It has nothing to do with teleporting you shorter or farther, that was just an idea we threw out there. The point is to keep afterimages fresh and make them useful instead of overused eye candy. Whether it teleports you further or shorter is none of my concern.

Old School
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
personally i also think it would be kind of annoying to see after images all the time. but i like the idea sonic boyster.

Best answers
This is what ive had in mind the second i saw after that after image was implanted... just never took the time to suggest it....
any way i like the idea would be nice to be able to choose after image or not.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't like the idea, the afterimage isn't meant to be strategy primarily. It's just a cool graphic to add to the teleport. The after image fades almost instantly so there's little to no chance in being fooled by it. We've all seen the videos, they last for a very short period of time. Chances are if you see a still frame of an enemy fading away you know it's not him, just a shadow image. I agree with Hibiki, if that half-second after image fools you, then you just need to work on your perception.

Abuse the teleport? You can't "abuse" the teleport, it takes a lot of ki. So if someone tries "abusing" it they'll be left with little ki to fight their opponent, foiling their effort to abuse it. Using a longer teleport would be no harder than a regular, you would just have to get used to the distance, you think everyone was good with the original teleport when esf first came out?

There are plenty of controls in ESF as it is, I don't want to be fiddling around with two teleport buttons. 2x the ki... that's a little overdoing it if you ask me, at most I'd say if they implemented this idea they should increase the Ki consumption by 25%.

Best answers
I personally like the idea.

It dosnt matter how fast it goes away, its can still buy the person who teleported valuable time to gain the upper hand. It will trick you, and the closer you are the higher the chances. If you get used to it, then it wont, which is why you should have it as a different teleport, so its not being used constantly, and it has a much higher chance of fooling someone.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Slugga, I know where you're coming from, I'm just saying that instead of it being just some eye candy graphic that you see every single time somebody teleports from point A to point B it be used for actual gameplay. I know they fade fast, so you can make them fade just a little slower. I'm not saying there wouldn't be any tweaking involved, just that it be made into a feature that can be used as more than eye candy, you know?

Best answers
I like this idea too. It's eye candy with a purpose. Not only does it look good, but it adds to strategy. Anyone ever heard of killing 2 birds with one stone? Well it's very sad.

Erm, i do see a problem though. After the person realizes that they just went through an after image, that person will realize what's going to happen next( which is you swooping at them) They'll probably just use the same techinique on you. Then you'll realize what's about to happen, but you won't have the ki to prevent it(unless your going towards a wall, then you could just wall jump away.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom