After image technique vs. automatic after images

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MajinZGohan said:
Erm, i do see a problem though. After the person realizes that they just went through an after image, that person will realize what's going to happen next( which is you swooping at them) They'll probably just use the same techinique on you. Then you'll realize what's about to happen, but you won't have the ki to prevent it(unless your going towards a wall, then you could just wall jump away.)
Isn't that exactly what happens on the show?

Best answers
I don't think this idea is any good, because I'm pretty sure people can just turn the after-images off :p Kind of voids all your advantages

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't think you can turn them off, that would give you an advantage :eek:

Best answers
No, I think you can, because it's eye candy. That's it. Eye candy. Not some great strategic technique. Some people were worried that it might slow down their system, and I'm fairly sure you can switch back to the old teleporting.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Obviously it doesn't slow computers too much or they wouldn't have implamented it over, say, better looking explosions. Besides, if it was strategic, they wouldn't allow you to turn it off now would they?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I also know what you're saying Sonic, and I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just not to my taste. I personally couldn't stand to have two teleport buttons. :p

Best answers
That's me point exactly Sonic...Can someone who actually knows (or can show us a post) tell us if it can be disabled?

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In the current tester versions it can be disabled. If they implamented this feature it would not be possible to disable it because that would defeat the purpose.

Best answers
Sonic, if I remember correctly the after images were put in because the sprkale dots were a bit behind the times. The after-images purpose therefore, was eye candy. Eye candy can be disabled.

~~
Sonic Boyster said:
In the current tester versions it can be disabled. If they implamented this feature it would not be possible to disable it because that would defeat the purpose.
If this suggestion was implamented as a feature to gameplay it would no longer be classified as simple eye candy, and therefore could not be disabled from play, just like beams or melee cannot be disabled client-side. Currently it is eye candy, and can most likely be turned off. It can be disabled in the current test version as I stated.

- Sonic Boyster

Sound Artist
Best answers
If someone teleports a lot, like across the map, you can actually see a trail of fading after images leading to the real body. It's a lot easier to find someone who spams teleport. It's better to use it sparse, just to fool the enemy. On another note, the after image doesn't look 100% like the real deal, it starts out faded, then works its' way to nothingness. So you won't be sitting there trying to hit a faded model.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It couldn't look real if it was A.) Immobile and B.) Transparent, but if you're moving fast enough you aren't going to be critiquing every image you aim towards. Isn't there a chance you could set up a small delay like a half second before the model fades to give the other player a slightly better chance to be confused by it when he's up close? Sounds to me like that's all you'd need to do to make it usable in this regard. Teleportation is supposed to be faster than the human/namekian/alien eye, but not so fast that you can tell exactly where someone is because they teleported more than once and made a trail of bodies.

And unfortunately it will still be nearly impossible to do anything about teleport spammers even if you can see a fading trail to where they are for a split second after you spin the camera all directions to look for it. As far as spamming goes I don't think giving us a fleshy compus pointing them out is going to stop it, that'd require something more drastic, like increasing ki costs, or maybe writing a script so that teleports in concession (within .1 seconds of each other) cost additional energy. It's a different story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom