Your connection speed and type

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kurt said:
I need 1.2 :p

Move to the USA, there's no such thing as an upload or download limit here~ I regularly upload over 50 gigs a month (have done over 100 in 1 month before -_-)
That's not actually true--a lot of ISPs, while they say they offer 'unlimited access' actually will charge you extra if you use an insane amount of bandwidth. A friend of mine was hosting two servers using his cable modem in Maryland (Comcast, or Cox.. I don't remember which) and they gave him a 30$ bandwidth 'fee' at the end of his first month. I hear Verizon does that too.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The site says I download at 3.02 mbps and upload at 30kbsp. I use Comcast Cable.

Looking at that chart, wouldn't mind having a T4 connection.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
All australian internet sux, we have telstra to thank for such crap services. DSL2/2+ is just getting phased into aus atm.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cable. 3mbps down, and... 384kbps up? Something like that.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
That's not actually true--a lot of ISPs, while they say they offer 'unlimited access' actually will charge you extra if you use an insane amount of bandwidth. A friend of mine was hosting two servers using his cable modem in Maryland (Comcast, or Cox.. I don't remember which) and they gave him a 30$ bandwidth 'fee' at the end of his first month. I hear Verizon does that too.
I was being sarcastic... the majority of ISPs here don't, where almost every ISP in certain other countries will have them.

Cox supposedly has a 40 gig download limit and 20 gig upload limit per month, but I've at least tripled those in a month and had no repercussions of any kind from them.

Best answers
One Website said:
Communications 1.7 megabits per second
Storage 202 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 5.1 seconds
Subjective rating Great
Other Website said:
At 6.50 mbps, download a:
- 1 MB file in 2 sec
- 10 MB file in 13 sec
- 100 MB file in 2 MIN

Upload speed is 141kbps
Conflicting much?

nge

Best answers
DSL 512. Verizon, so when it works it is stable and when it is messing up it makes sure it messes up HARD.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Both of skyriders links gave me the same results:

Communications 1.3 megabits per second
Storage 154.4 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 6.6 seconds
Subjective rating Good

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
Your friend got jacked. I use both Cox and comcast and neither charge fee's. Not for mee anyway

Cox: 6mbps (max i dled at was 8mbps) for one low monthly payment of 55 bucks a month

Comcast: 4 mbps for one low monthly price of 30 bucks a month

AOHell: 200 something odd dollars a year (****ing aol)

I win over all u biznitches. Homie. God i'm bored. I miss my car D:

Best answers
I have Netzero Highspeed 3G dial-up internet access. Im supposed to connect at about 48kbps - 53kbps (download) but im only connecting at 26.4kbps, so it really sucks. But it does very good with web browsing because of the 3G accelerator, it feels like highspeed... but it isnt. :(

Lets see, theoretically i should be downloading at 3.3 kilobytes (26.4 divided by 8, 26.4=connect speed and 8=bits in a byte) but im not sure about my upload, its probably about .8 kilobytes.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Kurt said:
Cox supposedly has a 40 gig download limit and 20 gig upload limit per month, but I've at least tripled those in a month and had no repercussions of any kind from them.
I've sent 72 gigs in the last 17 days -_-

/me thinks he needs to change ISPs soon lol

Best answers
Walmart Security said:
I have Netzero Highspeed 3G dial-up internet access. Im supposed to connect at about 48kbps - 53kbps (download) but im only connecting at 26.4kbps, so it really sucks. But it does very good with web browsing because of the 3G accelerator, it feels like highspeed... but it isnt. :(

Lets see, theoretically i should be downloading at 3.3 kilobytes (26.4 divided by 8, 26.4=connect speed and 8=bits in a byte) but im not sure about my upload, its probably about .8 kilobytes.
you can download at 26.4 kbs a sec with dielup? I used to have high-speed that could only do 14ks a sec max...

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Barney's Soul said:
you can download at 26.4 kbs a sec with dielup? I used to have high-speed that could only do 14ks a sec max...
56kbps (kilobits per second) = 7 k/s (kilobytes per second)

using the same 8 bits in 1 byte logic...

26.4 kbps = 3.3 k/s

There is only kbps and k/s, there is no kbs... you mean kbps.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ja, NetZero 3G dial-up is faster because of its webpage downloading technique. From what I understand, it precompresses the data from the site you request and sends it to you compressed, then the software uncompresses it on your pc, and somehow, that is actually faster...Pretty brilliant IMO, but you wont get faster file downloads.

I have a 10mbps connection with my local cable company, I freaking love it and couldn't imagine life without it =p.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kurt said:
56kbps (kilobits per second) = 7 k/s (kilobytes per second)

using the same 8 bits in 1 byte logic...

26.4 kbps = 3.3 k/s

There is only kbps and k/s, there is no kbs... you mean kbps.
No need to be so anal about it. He said 'kb a second', basically kbps.

I personally have a 625KBps down/45KBps up connection (5mbps/360kbps).

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
According to the website, my download speed is 10.8 mbps and upload rate is 1.68 mps. I have cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom