WON is dead : A Guide to Steam

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
In theory, you could still direct connect to a server to play the old way. All WON did was download servers and put them in a list. This is just a theory, and I don't really know for sure.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Here is a question. Say you go out and buy half life. Yet you used to own half life and had a Steam ID and everything. Can you install your newly owned half life, download and install steam, and sign on with your previous username?

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Ok, I've just read up a bit, and found a new patch for HL retail (Not Steam), WTF!? Half-life 1.1.1.1 was released on the 15th of this month (So I read on FilePlanet), and it now uses the WON2 network, and fixes a few bugs that were in 1.1.1.0, and I'm not kidding, PM me for a link to the file.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yay.....99% of the people playing half life now, use steam, even if this WON2 exists, not many people will play it...

And well, if you previously owned half life, and made a steam account with that cdkey, you do not have to buy the new half life if im right, it should just work....but if it isnt and you need to buy a new half life for the cdkey.....i dont know if it will work, cos steam says "You may only have 1 HL2 package at the time" so this might be the same for HL1 you should really ask it on the steamforums

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This "WON2" network isn't what you think it is. The patch isn't an official Valve patch, it's just a disguised installer for a third-party server-finding tool which is then configured to your old HL directory.

Apparently it's part of some "Steamless CS Project." Meh, good luck with that. WON is dead, and it isn't coming back.

And if I remember correctly, weren't there some features added to the core HL source only in the Steam version(s)? I think detail textures were one of them.

I honestly don't understand why some people reject Steam so fervently.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DragonDude said:
This "WON2" network isn't what you think it is. The patch isn't an official Valve patch, it's just a disguised installer for a third-party server-finding tool which is then configured to your old HL directory.

Apparently it's part of some "Steamless CS Project." Meh, good luck with that. WON is dead, and it isn't coming back.

And if I remember correctly, weren't there some features added to the core HL source only in the Steam version(s)? I think detail textures were one of them.

I honestly don't understand why some people reject Steam so fervently.
well it does only cause some computers to crash lag and freeze at times , use to happen for me , as it chews on system resources (the update news use to freeze some comps i use to use)

This WON2 network must be crap anyway , if anyone wanted a steamless (or less of a steamless version of cs) they could use esai

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
sicron said:
And well, if you previously owned half life, and made a steam account with that cdkey, you do not have to buy the new half life if im right, it should just work....but if it isnt and you need to buy a new half life for the cdkey.....i dont know if it will work, cos steam says "You may only have 1 HL2 package at the time" so this might be the same for HL1 you should really ask it on the steamforums
I ask this because I am soon getting high speed again, and I don't have Half life installed or anything because I had to reboot. And I lost the cd while I moved. yet I still know my steam id and password. So my question is as follows-

Can I buy a new half life 1 install it, install steam, and just log on to my username?

You are probably right- asking the steam forums would be easier, but 1. this question might come up again with new people, and 2. it's easier to go to this forum then the steam forums since i'm more associated with it.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
why buy it

if you already registered it when you made the account tahn its still in

the CD key you enterd at that time is still with your account so you can simple download HLK throo STEAM

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
OOOO, so you're saying I don't need Half life anymore?

If so. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

Thanks a lot. If that's true you saved me 20 bucks.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Basicly if you already enterd a CD-key you cant enter it again.

Lets say you enter a HL1 CD-key and than some time later you enter another HL1 key

STEAM will only say: "You already have this game registered." Or something like that.

Since you only enter the CD-key once and than it is saved to your account. So even if you throw out evrything your CD-key is still registered to your account. So all you nead to do to "retreave" it is log into your account and play.

Thats why its so efective against piracy.

Once a CD-key is enterd it can not be ussed again. Because it belongs to an account ;)

Hope that cleared up anything for you.

Best answers
well i know for a fact that my friend used my cd-key for hl and his steam account works fine but ive been using steam since esf was in beta 1.0

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Herms said:
well i know for a fact that my friend used my cd-key for hl and his steam account works fine but ive been using steam since esf was in beta 1.0
Uhm, Steam wasn't released until late into ESF 1.1 bro.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Herms said:
Here is a funny story: The CD key on your Half-Life case, is binded to your username and saved permanantly to STOP piracy. What you have just said is ALL false. 1. No your friend didn't. and 2. Steam wasn't around then sparky.

The ONLY possible way that your "friend" could possibly use YOUR cd-key, is if you gave him your userID and password. If you didn't know. It's possible for more then one person to be on the same username at the same time. I did it so I can host both my dedicated servers and play while those servers were running. That's three, if you can't count. And from 2 computers might I add. I also know this to be true, because at one time Zeonix lost his userID or forgot his password or something. So I lent him my userID. And I still played ESF while he was on.

That's the only way. You can use the same userID more then once at the same time. You can't use the same CD-key.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
you can use the same account at the same time? how? I mean...what happens if someone starts chatting with you (when you enabled the friends thing) then both people get the same message from one person? X_x

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sicron said:
you can use the same account at the same time? how? I mean...what happens if someone starts chatting with you (when you enabled the friends thing) then both people get the same message from one person? X_x
I honestly don't know. I never used the IM system in steam. All I used it for was to sign on to steam myself, use it for my 2 dedicated servers I hosted, and to let Zeonix play. That's it. I never used it for anything else.

The only error I ever got was something like "bad ticket" or something like that. Something about a ticket, and steam would log off, and I'd have to sign on again. Other then that it works fine. Try it. Give your username and password to a person you TRUST, and try it out. It works. That's all I know.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That ticket arror comes up when 2 same accounts are on the server. So you get that error to verify you are the owner. Thats all

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom