WON is dead : A Guide to Steam

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well we have seen quite alot of these posts lately, and people still dont understand what to do, so i like to say it once more for everyone to know

WON is dead, won was the old online system for Half Life, which now has been replaced by steam, so if you want to play ESF or for that matter, any other online HL game, you need to install steam

Where you ask? go to www.steampowered.com and download steam

1)then install steam, and run it once,
2)now install half life and run it once the normal way (without steam, Optimus Prime just told me this might not be required, you may only need to run it trough steam once to install the hl files into the steam directory, however, i do not know for sure)
3)if steam did its job, it should have installed the HL files in its own steam directory
4)now you can install ESF (or any other mod) and it should work

Mods, it would be nice if you would sticky this so we dont have thousands of those posts, and please edit my post if i forgot to add anything, i just have that weird feeling i forgot something....

NOTE: You need a LEGIT(So i mean....Legal....not downloaded....but bought...) CD-key of Half Life to register with steam, it will not work without a legal CD-key

NOTE 2: Did someone take your CD-Key? go to

http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cg...3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

If your HL isnt older than 90 days, you can get your CD-Key back for free if you just show evidence that its your HL you are talking about...
Is it older than 90 days? You will need to pay 10 dollars then....You may think..."What?! 10 dollars?! I rather buy that HL I saw in the store for 5 dollars!" but remember, there is a higher chance these days that, that CD-key was also taken...

Need more help? Check Fire Phoenix' thread click *HERE*

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know it's kind of obvious, but maybe you should add the part about people needing to register their legal cd-key. Might help the n00bs a bit.

Just a thought.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
this should be stickied ,as i am getting sick of those people (you know what they are)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
no. ESF does not work for hl2.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
from the shops, or if you use a credit card you can buy it from www.steampowered.com (make sure you get half life 1 in the back catalogue)

Best answers
My esf says that i need local client (class c) when i want to play on the net

Why does it say that?? and i PLZ wanna play on net.....so, plz tell me how i can play now. :talk:

Best answers
*WON is dead, won was the old online system for Half Life, which now has been replaced by steam, so if you want to play ESF or for that matter, any other online HL game, you need to install steam.*

Not true, you can still play Counter-strike 1.5 and other mods online still.I dont know about ESF.But WON is still very alive and running.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Uh no it isn't, it's been brought down.

Best answers
will someone plz tell me where i can get a legal cd-key instead of buing? plz i gotta have it so much... and i dont have money for it...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
unless you ask half life for your birthday or something, you cant get a legal key without buying and its not expensive, like 10 american dollars these days (or 15)

Best answers
right ive installed steam first then half life, my cd key works. do i register my half life with steam first and then dowload esf?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, you can download ESF now, but you have to first register your Half-Life with Steam before you should install ESF. After you've registered your CD-Key, start up Half Life. It should ask you something about importing your Half-Life files and settings to Steam. Let Steam do this, then install ESF when it's all done. ESF's default installation directory is in the Steam folder, so it should work properly.

Best answers
When i regester my cd-key to steam my dad deleated valve the folder and i have to unistall the game and when i followed the step it wont work now

itr

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
shike said:
When i regester my cd-key to steam my dad deleated valve the folder and i have to unistall the game and when i followed the step it wont work now
If you registered your cd-key to steam, you don't have to ever re-enter it, just download the content.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom