Why are my Music discs screwing up?!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not big on a lot of the music people consider cool. I know little about bands, and my taste is very particular. It's usually, but not always isolated pieces that catch my ear, and so I love to collect my favorites and make a mix cd to play in my car on my way to school or work.

However, it tends to take five burns of the same mix to get it right. The others fail, either by not reading at all, or by skipping regularly while playing. I've gone through so many discs, perfectly good discs, all ruined.

I know part of the problem is the stereo system in my car. I have an 1999 Pontiac, and while it has a Bose system that must have been great for it's time, it's player is still extremely sensitive to bumps on the road, or in this case, slight errors on the disc.

Before, I would test the disc in my clock radio before trying it in the car. Eventually I dropped this method and went straight to the car, because at times, what might play perfectly in the clock-radio would screw up in the car. Checking on the PC doesn't help, because the PC can always read the discs perfectly.

At first I attributed it to bad discs, but I've gone through brand new ones and ended up with ear-killing skips.

My PC uses the WinXP Media Center, which comes with Sonic RecordNow, which I've been using. I remember in the past however, that a friend who once used this software had a bad tendency to burn things for me and come up with corrupted discs.

Is RecordNow my problem? I'm going to try and create a disc using Media Player to burn, but if that fails, then I just don't know what I'm supposed to do. It's become an intolerable practice in unreliability.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
What about the CD-player in your car? Possible that is damaging your discs over time?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What about the CD-player in your car? Possible that is damaging your discs over time?
It can't be over time, the skipping comes as soon as it first plays in the car. If I get a disc to work without skips once, it will always work for the car, but if I hear skips, then the disc is irretrievably ruined.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
same happens when you attempt to play it on another cd-player and or on your pc?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
same happens when you attempt to play it on another cd-player and or on your pc?
PC reads it all fine, but other less capable players are extremely sensitive to faults that better drives would read right through.

Just tried a piece of freeware to burn, and the radio plays perfect, but I'll only know when I test the car...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think I found the problem!

I decided to try setting the burn speed a lot lower, and so far it's playing perfectly in the car!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yea audio cds only work reliably when burned at 24x or even 16x.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yea audio cds only work reliably when burned at 24x or even 16x.
That explains EVERYTHING. As soon as I burned at 24x, it was perfect.

Man, why would it's audio CD feature even have the option of using faster speeds when it does things like that? Beyond me...I'd have optimized it for function.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom