Which CPU

Which CPU should I purchase?

• AMD ATHLON 64 3000+ PROCESSOR S754 2.0GHZ 512KB L2 CACHE RETAIL BOX Price: $241.68 canadian

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • INTEL PENTIUM 4 E 2.80E GHz S478 P4 800FSB 1MB CACHE PRESCOTT RETAIL BOX Price: $274.42 canadian

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah yeah, do the poll, leave a comment. Need feedback.

I'm building a PC, and I'm curious to know which CPU I should invest in.

I hear AMD 64bit is good, so I may be leaning for an AMD CPU, but whatever.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
that is the exact same cpu that i have, and its amazing.

(the amd one)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Get a 3200+ 64, so you get 1 mb cache.

Sound Artist
Best answers
yeah go with 64, it's faster than P4 in most aspects. However, the FX chips are the ones that support dual channel memory, the lowest of the 2, i think is around 700$.

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ya well I'm trying to keep my pc around 1500 dollars give or take, so a CPU that costs 700 isn't something I have planned right now. If I had money I would, no doubt. If I had money I wouldn't be asking this question :p

Thanks for the comments. I hear AMD is better for gaming anyways.

Sound Artist
Best answers
You've got your choice then, 2800 through 3800. :)

Best answers
I would actually reccomend against getting a 64, but still go w/ an AMD. the 64 isnt supported by any current OS's, so you are wasting its processing capabilities, and can run into some compatibility issues.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
opensource said:
I would actually reccomend against getting a 64, but still go w/ an AMD. the 64 isnt supported by any current OS's, so you are wasting its processing capabilities, and can run into some compatibility issues.
um.......... windows xp service pack 2 is coming out within the month and supports 64 bit technology....

also you will probably see a 10-15% performance gain with a 64-bit cpu compared to its 32-bit counterpart...

what kind of compatability issues? mobo? well obviously you have to buy a 64-bit compatable mobo for a 64-bit cpu..

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
64 bit is the future though, which is why I asked. plus I won't be able to purchase a new pc for awhile

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
XsilentlyXdiesX said:
Simply AMD will always be better then Intel.
i agree

i have P4 2.8 atm and i hate it, it jogs everything i do and you would of thought a 2.8 would be fast enough...right?, when go to florida i am getting myself a AMD Athlon 3000+ processor =)

anyway, go with the 64bit, even though the new windows isnt released yet (which has all teh right drivers for 64bit) it should still run faster than most processors and when the new windows is released, installed it obviously and then notice how much better it will run on the new windows :p

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
no, i hate the whole amd prosessor.
it's way to slow and doesn't get close to intel celeron.
i only use intel, no slower prosessor.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i find with Intel,,,

Intel:
As soon as teh processor can find a gap while loading the system, Intel will start to load while other programs are trying to boot up ... instead of loading one program fully each time therefore processing slower.

and i find with AMD...

AMD:
AMD will load one program at a time, not try multiple tasks, it will load up one program, therefore loading more programs alot smoother and quicker.

AMD are better for games Such as Gameplay where Intel is better for Programs..etc

KyoKusanagi

K
I don't want to start a CPU war but i seriously don't see why people hate the Pentium chips at least i don't have to put up with the whirring of cpu fans just to keep it from crapping itself. Though i will say this - for the money you spend on an AMD you are getting a slightly faster CPU but i prefer Intel based chips because of their built in auto heat sensor built in (that thing that slows down the computer and stops it from overheating).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
niobe said:
Intel Celeron is the afterbirth of a pentium 4.

AMD 64 all the way!

Best answers
niobe said:
I tottaly disagree with that.

Either you got a old AMD processor or a bad one. Intel is built for the Office, AMD is built for games. AMD is faster then Intel and alot more convient.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Don't get too mad with niobe. He just has a bad habbit of saying things before he researches them :(.

"NVIDA AM OWNZ AIT"
"PENITUM AM OZNS ADM!!"

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
XsilentlyXdiesX said:
I tottaly disagree with that.

Either you got a old AMD processor or a bad one. Intel is built for the Office, AMD is built for games. AMD is faster then Intel and alot more convient.
Very true,

i have desided to get myself a 64bit AMD Athlon 3000 now, seems to be a decent price as well ^^

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Jayster said:
Very true,

i have desided to get myself a 64bit AMD Athlon 3000 now, seems to be a decent price as well ^^
Noes, get the 3200 for twice the l2 cache damnit.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ok i am actually embarrassed acsking this question, but whats teh difference between normal L2 cache or double

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom