Which CPU

Which CPU should I purchase?

• AMD ATHLON 64 3000+ PROCESSOR S754 2.0GHZ 512KB L2 CACHE RETAIL BOX Price: $241.68 canadian

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • INTEL PENTIUM 4 E 2.80E GHz S478 P4 800FSB 1MB CACHE PRESCOTT RETAIL BOX Price: $274.42 canadian

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There's not really a difference, the 3200+ just has twice the amount the 3000+ has, which is good.

Best answers
Smith| said:
Don't get too mad with niobe. He just has a bad habbit of saying things before he researches them :(.

"NVIDA AM OWNZ AIT"
"PENITUM AM OZNS ADM!!"
lol, owned.

I have an older AMD chip myself, and I love it. It is great for games. Its a simple concept between AMD and Intel:

AMD - Games
Intel - Programs

mmhmm. Since most teeenagers don't go "mad programs" or anything, AMD is the way to go.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well even if you use lots of programs simultaniously with an amd chip.... the performance loss you will see compared to its intel counterpart is minimal.

(also in response to the person who said that the amd chips overheat and blah... the new amd drivers fixed that problem i think... its just the uber old amd chips that overheat like a mofo)

Best answers
i dunno much about pc but i have P4 intel and i like it... that's it :p

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ya, it seems I'll be buying an AMD 64 3000. I'll prolly be back with questions about what I should do with heat sinking and stuff...

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Smith, i am going to Florida/ Orlando next weekend, i was planning to buy a new processor while i was over there because it is alot cheaper in the US than the UK personally, but i was told not to get one because of the voltage difference, (I.E US - 110Volts UK- 220Volts)
i think i am going to stick with the 64 AMD Athlon 3000+ ATM, heres the link i might of the processor i might be getting, what do you think smith?
http://micro-logic.com/front/prodView.asp?idProduct=798&idCategory=336

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
XsilentlyXdiesX said:
I tottaly disagree with that.

Either you got a old AMD processor or a bad one. Intel is built for the Office, AMD is built for games. AMD is faster then Intel and alot more convient.
please, i hate amd so wy shud i use one-_-
i have an 2.3 celeron, it's good for me and it over run's the amd of my colages.
"NVIDA AM OWNZ AIT" "PENITUM AM OZNS ADM!!"
cant agree more ^_^

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
niobe said:
i have an 2.3 celeron, it's good for me and it over run's the amd of my colages.

cant agree more ^_^
everyone is intitled to there own opinion, if you dont like AMD thats your opinion, but i like it alot personally

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
niobe said:
Celeron is the worst pentium chip made, I would have to say. It is a stripped down pentium 4, for god sake.

Celeron getting dominated by different CPU's:
http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD00NDMmdXJsX2hpc3Rvcnk9LTI=

Celeron getting dominated by P4's:
http://www.intelforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2024

Celeron getting kicked in the ass:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9267

A whole thread, everyone taking an xp 1800+ over a celeron 2 Gigahertz:
http://www.resellerratings.com/forum/t63255.html

cant agree more ^_^
I was making fun of how you say things without proof :/.

The Inquirer said:
The Celeron 2.0GHz performs so badly in comparison with any other processors on the market that it is a wonder consumer groups haven't taken Intel to task and insisted on an AMD style PR rating for it.

Best answers
XsilentlyXdiesX said:
Simply AMD will always be better then Intel.
Not true companies use Intel Pentiums for a reason....like superscaled processing of P4 is way better then the AMD.

P4=More reliable aswell.

And pentiums generate less heat :p

But to be honest everybody has his/her own opinion.

Not to forget the RDRAM btw of pentuim 4's, expensive yes but IMO the ram pwns ddr.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
RDRAM is great, but it will soon be outclassed by DDR2 . . . can't improve on something that won't be bought.

Intel generally has better manufacturing capabilities, lower heat and increased reliability are the outcome. Sadly, Intel gives less than half a crap of what they make. They rarely answer any technical challenge without resorting to deeper pipes and thus higher clocks. This ended in them resorting to ripping of AMD processors to get any performance gains. HT is great, but ever wonder why they haven't been able to ramp up speeds like they did through the PIII to P4's?

AMD on the otherhand, has taken a brilliant approach to die design, and I find their chips to be much better engineered. The fact that a much slower AMD can beat on a much faster P4 or celeron is proof enough. At equal clocks, the AMD will always be faster. Sadly, AMD has problems manufacturing their great designs, and constantly depend on other manufacturers (Motorola and IBM) to make their chips and implement new processes.

Then it comes down to cost . . . If AMD is almost as good as any given pentium in most things, and much better in branch prediction, pipe usage, floating point math (it takes 4 on die math processors in the P4 to come second place to AMD's lone on die math processor) and memory management, why am I going to pay 60% more for an Intel based system?

If you factor in the awesome power of Nvidia's Nforce AMD chipset, then you can't deny that it's difficult to beat AMD in any sensible contest.

Some people see Intel's prices tag and think premium, I see it and think bloat.

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How does this set up look: http://www.ncix.com/pcbuilder/index.php?action=getprice&id=1580030&platformid=1000

I plan to buy a moniter seperatly. I'll ask friends and stuff, plus even though future shop is a rip off most times, them and staples atleast sell moniters for less then online.

Tell me what you think. the price is a tad high, but you know, you get what ya pay for so I'm hoping it will be alright.

I may change the speakers and just buy them seperatly also.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
some things can get better, if you have the money for it.

vid. cart: better take one with 265mb
keyboard: can be cheaper, this is just to expencive for an keyboard.

the rest looks ok

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ok lets clear this up,...

AMD is the better processor for games or anything that uses alot of resources
INTEL is the better processor for programs and business work

i dont want to see any more debate on which processor is better, they are all good in there different ways, but i PERSONALLY would go for AMD because of the gaming i do

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ya I heard the difference from 9800 128 to 256 is very little. Not much you'll notice. everyone I know uses 9800 128 and say it runs like a dream, plus it runs games atleast in the medium range.

So, unless I see a large price drop, I will not be buying anothing type of video card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom