Whats so special about 'Firefox'?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well ive been reading a computer magazine and they say that fire fox is way better then alot of other internet browsers, and i see alot of ppl use a firefox icon in their sigs, but....is this firefox really that good? since i might wanna try it =P

Best answers
nope, i used it... the same IE just with less security holes and a bit changed skin, thats it. If you`re using IE, DROP IT DUDE, i suggest you to use opera or avant browser, the best ones!!!

Best answers
See all those spyware removal tools in my sig? I have to use most of those to clean 1-3 peoples PC's a week because they use IE at home. I just use firefox and opera as an alt to IE because it gives me far less headaches.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah well i read in that magazine that surfing on spyware websites with IE u will get a average of 150 spyware objects (ad-aware) and another 90 extra (if u use ad-aware plus) and with fire fox u only get a max of 40 (with adaware+) so thats something thats better, but are there any things that are better in IE then in firefox?

Best answers
Firefox has better security; for a brief time, I forgot what popups looked like until I launched IE again.

Firefox also has tabbed browsing, letting you open multiple pages without clogging up the toolbar.

Overall I like it the most, I've tried Opera too, as suggested by SajaN^PridE, but Opera has ads all across the top of the browser, so I don't care for it. I prefer the simplicity of Firefox, along with the speed and security.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The Cheese said:
See all those spyware removal tools in my sig? I have to use most of those to clean 1-3 peoples PC's a week because they use IE at home. I just use firefox and opera as an alt to IE because it gives me far less headaches.
Don't you mean, because they use IE at home irresponsibily and just click yes on whatever pops up? Because that's how you get really bad spyware. You don't get it from pop-ups. You get it from "Would you please choose to install this spyware of your own volition? Click yes to continue."

Anyway.. in SP2, IE can block all pop-ups for you, and Firefox has issues with the smoothness of scrolling, which is one thing that really bugs me, as I use my mousewheel (clicked in) to scroll down, and even with the smoothness option in Firefox's menu turned on, it's still not as good as IE's.

Firefox is okay, but people don't seem to realize that the reason there's so many 'vulnerabilities' for IE are because of two reasons, among others:
1-User Stupidity, clicking on things they shouldn't, not bothering to read what the prompts say, visiting sites they shouldn't, etc, and
2-IE has been out so long that naturally more ways to abuse it are found with time. When IE came out, were pop-ups a big deal? No, they were used only for their real application, making new windows for things like signing in, etc..

The thing everyone should know about software, especially developers, is that people will use your program in ways you didn't intend, which is why Beta testing is important to find bugs, which Microsoft doesn't usually do due to the large scale of their applications, it's easier and more feasible to release as is, with most of the major bugs out, and just update patches.

Anyway.. I'm just tired of people who like Firefox, knocking IE without adequately backing up their opinions. Also tired of people acting like Microsoft is some evil entity that made their browser into the "Spyware giving, Ad-Friendly browser nightmare" that some seem to enjoy saying it is.

Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why is Firefox so great? It isn't IE. :rolleyes:

That was for you, Alea :p

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ano yarou.. *shakes fist*

Best answers
i really hated all those popups in IE.. even with a *ahem* pop up blocking addon
in firefox only thing i had to get used to is my browser now being in english (which isnt hard at all) and not having to click on those 20 red X's to open a site
that kinda did it for me

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not talking about a pop-up blocker, made by a third party vendor.. I'm talking about Windows XP Service Pack 2's addition to IE to block pop-ups if you want them blocked.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alea said:
Anyway.. I'm just tired of people who like Firefox, knocking IE without adequately backing up their opinions. Also tired of people acting like Microsoft is some evil entity that made their browser into the "Spyware giving, Ad-Friendly browser nightmare" that some seem to enjoy saying it is.
I know we don't get along but this is a very good point that is pretty close to the top of my list.

Nothing aggravates me more than people saying something is "better" when they mean to say "I prefer Prog A to Prog B because..."

As a method of proving my point...I have been using IE since Windows 98, and have had only TWO incidents where I contracted spyware, and that was because I mistakenly clicked yes to things I should have said no to.

If you people want less spyware, try uninstalling Warez Downloading progs and Krapzaa first.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well I heard that internet explorer causes more spyware and less security. Firefox is just like netscape. See, Firefox has popup blocker's and it has tabbed window's. If your woundering what tabbed window's or whatever is it's like you can have 10 site's opened into one browser. So basicly Firefox to me is just more security browser. And you can get popup's from sites that u decide.

Best answers
Well, for me, I prefer not to get things asking me if it wants to download a bull**** program at all, so I'll stick with Firefox. Thanks.

And for some odd reason, I've never clicked "Yes" on any download prompts, yet I still manage to get craploads of software I didn't want. By some magical twist of fate, now that I use Firefox I don't get them anymore. I dunno, maybe its just me. Maybe it was my dad on the PC. I dunno.

. . .

Or maybe, just maybe . . . IE Sucks?

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Or maybe, you're an incompetent user who blames software for your own misuse and neglect?

Sorry, but when Firefox is as old as IE is, it's going to have vulnerabilities, flaws and people abusing features built into it. And then people will be singing the song of "Firefox sucks."

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
But yet its still: IE suckz

i dont say Microsoft is evil, its just IE where gots the probs. for me.
And with Firefox i dont got any trouble anymore with spystuff and such stuff.
They even made an test in German TV with Browsers:
They made a site with an Fakevirus wich automaticly copys it self on the Disk when you surf that page, IE catched the virus and opera, But NOT irefox and Avant.
And there is still hope for the Future when there are Firefox Updates.
My 2 cents.

🍂 Regular
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
Sorry, but when Firefox is as old as IE is, it's going to have vulnerabilities, flaws and people abusing features built into it. And then people will be singing the song of "Firefox sucks."
But that's the difference between IE and Firefox, people have got no interest in exploiting Firefox because it has not been MADE BY MICROSOFT

People attack IE because it's been made by Microsoft, and it doesn't matter how "secure" IE will be or how many pop-up blockers or **** you'll use, people will always find (and want) to find a new way to exploit Internet Explorer. They don't give a flying **** about Firefox because of the simple matter of fact that is has not been made by Microsoft.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DPredator said:
But that's the difference between IE and Firefox, people have got no interest in exploiting Firefox because it has not been MADE BY MICROSOFT

People attack IE because it's been made by Microsoft, and it doesn't matter how "secure" IE will be or how many pop-up blockers or **** you'll use, people will always find (and want) to find a new way to exploit Internet Explorer. They don't give a flying **** about Firefox because of the simple matter of fact that is has not been made by Microsoft.
Um, can we say ignorant, thoughtless post?

You think spyware exists because of corporations wanting to exploit Microsoft products? WRONG!

If everybody switches to Firefox, then advertising companies are forced to find other ways to reach you, and believe me, they will by any means at their disposal. People will find ways to exploit Firefox, when it's become as old and as widely used as Internet Explorer.

Whether it's made by Microsoft or not is completely inconsequential regarding the development of pop-up advertisements, or activeX control installation abuses.

Learn what the hell you're talking about before you go babbling off drivel. Certain "hacking" groups target Microsoft products and look for bugs, holes, vulnerabilities, etc, to exploit for their own gain or to show Microsoft there are problems, but that's completely irrelevant when it comes to Advertising spam, spy and adware.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you want to try it, download it. Nobody has a gun to your head telling you not to. You can switch back and forth if you want, one doesn't have to replace the other.

Best answers
i dont see anything special about firefox...im currently using it but i wouldnt think there is something special about it.

Best answers
Or maybe, you're an incompetent user who blames software for your own misuse and neglect?
Mmk, so did you miss the part where I specifically said I never clicked yes? I never click yes on anything anymore, I wonder why. Oh thats right, because I don't even have to see it now that I have a web browser that WORKS.

Then I'll simply switch browsers to something better, assuming Firefox ever lets itself get as terrible as IE is. There is a thing called updates. The updates released by Microsoft do jack, while Firefox is actually updated. Amazing what updating a browser can do for security.

I wouldn't go out saying that Dpredator is wrong, its just that he slightly misworded his statement.

The reason Internet Explorer is attacked is because its made by Microsoft, in a sense. The reason its truely attacked is because its the most widely used browser because every PC you buy comes with it, because Microsoft makes Windows, and the vast majority of comptuer users use Microsoft.

Why does IE suck? In a sense, because its the most widely used browser, because its made by Microsoft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom