Twilight Princess Review Causing Outrage

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Man I'm so pissed that Jeff gave it a ****ing 8.8 a ****ing 8.8!!!! can you believe that?!?!?!? My god I almost committed suicide. But I was all liek "d00d that's foolish, don't kill yourself over it, kill him" so I did.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
wow after watchign some videos.... the graphics really are pretty sub par, and the music at points is just horrid

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the graphics don't really bother me so much as the fact that the core gameplay (at least from what I've seen in videos) is completely unchanged from OoT, just with some new weapons.,

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
the graphics don't really bother me so much as the fact that the core gameplay (at least from what I've seen in videos) is completely unchanged from OoT, just with some new weapons.,
alot of different things, the game is pretty mind blowing, bunch of different moves you can execute, it's pretty sick.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If it really does have that many solid hours of gameplay crammed into it then it seems like that alone should give it enough grace to let it be praised.
Well, I've only really completed the first dungeon and have just made it to the first "new" area, and even now, I believe that I can assure you that the neither the story nor the gameplay are shallow; to put it into the terms you used, I would definitely say that there are several solid hours of gameplay in this installment.

As for some of the other comments about letting this one pass because it looks to play very similarly to OoT; what about the 3 or 4 installments of MGS? They aren't shockingly different in terms of gameplay, but they appear to do quite well, regardless. Also, consider GTA games - there have been 4 versions of the game that employ an identical style of gameplay, but they are also quite successful. Having said that; yes, TP does appear to resemble OoT a lot, however, despite that, it still feels very different. That could be due to the fact that the controls have really changed, but I think it's a bit more than that - you can do more with the character this time, imo, and the scope of this installment is just tons more grand than OoT's, from what I've seen thus far.

I can understand the 8.8 for the sound (though I am willing to forgive the use of MIDI tracks, as long as the music, itself, is still good), possibly for the fact that it didn't "reinvent" the series (not that it was aiming to, as far as I know; it "reinvented" the game in much the same way as a new installment of MGS would reinvent its genre, I suppose). While I don't consider myself as nit-picky, I do acknowledge the fact that there wouldn't be a good balance in the reviews if there weren't people like the guy at GameSpot who opt to take a less, for lack of a better term, "optimistic" approach and choose to point out some of the flaws that bothered him, even with hordes of Zelda fans pounding at his door, so to speak.

So, while I think the game deserves more than an 8.8, I still think it's necessary to have a variety of outlooks on the game; at the very least, it makes for some good reading.

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm taking my sweet time with the game. I'm 9 hours through and only just finished the first dungeon. I'm enjoying it too much to rush through it.
Yeah im totaly taking your approach when I pick it up here in aust, when it releases.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah im totaly taking your approach when I pick it up here in aust, when it releases.
Thirded.

A Zelda game usually gives you plenty of freedom to roam around and explore.
I love losing myself in a game's environments and side-quests.

I for one am going to fish until there ain't no more fish to be caught.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fishing at first sucks. It takes ages to catch a fish when you first get the rod since you have no bait or anything. Once you get an improved poll and some bait it gets more fun.

Best answers
Oh noes, someone expressed an opinion, we must create a mob mentality and bash them for having a different opinion from ourselves! :cry:

That's how I feel about "outrage" over this situation. It's not even a situation, it's just more fascism and oppression over the internet.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fishing at first sucks. It takes ages to catch a fish when you first get the rod since you have no bait or anything. Once you get an improved poll and some bait it gets more fun.
Aside from that, I heard it's much more challenging than in OoT.

/me rubs hands together in anticipation

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As for some of the other comments about letting this one pass because it looks to play very similarly to OoT; what about the 3 or 4 installments of MGS?
Well, to their credit, the controls changed very much over the scope of MGS. They got worse and worse until the latest installment in which it was unplayably ****ty and clunky.

(though I am willing to forgive the use of MIDI tracks, as long as the music, itself, is still good)
There's that "superior hardware" in action...

I would really be upset by this. Did they really do that on such a highly anticipated next-gen title?!?!?!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, to their credit, the controls changed very much over the scope of MGS. They got worse and worse until the latest installment in which it was unplayably ****ty and clunky.

I would really be upset by this. Did they really do that on such a highly anticipated next-gen title?!?!?!
This has nothing to do with the hardware.

My guess is they did it to save time during production. It's not like they couldn't have put in fully orchestrated music - they did so for Wind Waker - it's probably that they were pressed for time. You might recall that the Gamecube version was delayed until December. If they don't even have the Gamecube version ready, it might mean they had to rush things a little more and decided on MIDIs.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Heh, until reading this I didn't know the soundtrack was midi files, and I have 30+ hours of gameplay on the game.

Best answers
Heh, until reading this I didn't know the soundtrack was midi files, and I have 30+ hours of gameplay on the game.
Buckethead only plays top quality games like Twilight Princess... :laff:

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

1.) Find me the quote in which Nintendo states the hardware is 'superior'.
2.) It is not a 'next-gen' title, it's a gamecube port.

thats retarded.
Not releasing zelda at launch would be retarded, posting nothing more "thats retarded." is an example of retardation.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah Magus, I haven't heard people complain about how it actually sounds, either. I've heard only good things about the music itself.

All I hear is people complaining "omfg it's midi rofl" without having heard any of the music.

Sad.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The fact that MIDI playback is used for the music really isn't as bad as some people want to make it seem. It's no more synth-sounding than Windwaker's soundtrack was, really. I haven't had cause to complain at all, personally. The soundtrack is still epic and suits the setting and story perfectly. The use of MIDI was more of a compromise for the GCN version, since Nintendo wanted the game to fit on a single GCN disc. If it were a Wii exclusive, I'd have expected orchestrated music, but I'm happy either way - the gameplay keeps me focused on the visuals more than the music, heh.

MIDI or not - people looking to get the game won't be disappointed with the soundtrack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom