Twilight Princess Review Causing Outrage

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
gosh, nothing against chakra but didnt he flamed aswell? he talked to much more people in the same way, *hides*
Unless someone can prove otherwise, I didn't see Chakra flaming anyone here. He specifically refers to the outraged "fans" that were assaulting the reviewer over at Gamespot, not anyone here. While Chakra didn't exactly state his opinion in a manner I would prefer to see, I don't believe he was flaming anyone in our community.

Best answers
meh, Wii will be released 8.12 in finland, soooo it means Wii & Twilight Princess will be on my 'gotta-get' list.. I just gotta hope my parents are feeling it so I wont be needed to spend that much of my "own" money on it ^^

but anyways, I've loved it from the first video I saw it, and now I'm loving it even more ;o it must be totally awesome, and i envy you guys who already got it ;<

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Twilight Princess is gonna freaking own.

I can deal with a bit of low-res textures as long as I get to pop headshots with my bow while riding Epona.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

I can deal with a bit of low-res textures as long as I get to pop headshots with my bow while riding Epona.
you will only concentrate on the background as the enemies you will beat while you ride ;)

to bad that there is so far only the first part shown off, i mean nothing like endfight gandorf =P or zelda fight

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well...this is why I don't read Gamespot. Gamespot = massively in the pocket of advertisers. How many Twilight Princess ads are on there?

...there's your reason for the score.

I saw a ton of Gears of War ads up there last month...bet it scored better!

IGN is the only internet site with decent reviews anymore, anyway.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well...this is why I don't read Gamespot. Gamespot = massively in the pocket of advertisers. How many Twilight Princess ads are on there?

...there's your reason for the score.

I saw a ton of Gears of War ads up there last month...bet it scored better!

On this, I agree wholeheartedly.

I think Gamespot gave GoW a 10. Now, it's a really sweet game, I've played it and I love playing it, but it's not a perfect 10, at least in my opinion.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well I think there are aspects of Gears that could have brought it down--nitpicky ones, like what they did with Zelda--but clearly those things were overlooked...for the advertiser's sake.

Games and publication are unfortunately a new frontier as far as advertiser control goes. No other industry so directly relies on advertising from the very same things they are reviewing. Nearly all game companies' advertising deals include escape clauses and provisos about the game's "representation."

The only review I found to be 'off' in IGN's history was this past year's Smackdown Review--the most robust create-a-character mode in ANY GAME, period, and the guy didn't mention it at all. He also didn't mention a lot of the customizability and other such. But otherwise he was fair, at least.

One way or the other a Gamespot review is nothing to get up in arms about. I find their reviews are often off the mark, regardless.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
While Chakra didn't exactly state his opinion in a manner I would prefer to see, I don't believe he was flaming anyone in our community.
Haha, my apologies Majin_You, but that kind of nitpicking by the complainers deserves sarcasm.

And I was not referring to all Zelda fans in general, only those 'outraged' enough to make topics about a score they did not agree with. If somebody like Zelda, good for them, I haven't ever been into Zelda but I do want to try this game (and download Majora's mask if they have it =X). Why would I criticize all Zelda fans if I wanted to try the game myself?

Now for a more polite response: To make that kind of commotion over a .2 difference for a video game is ridiculous. I get games regardless of the review (for the most part), because opinions differ. I have games that have gotten 5-7 on IGN and/or Gamespot and I still enjoy them.

How can you call yourself a fan if you just blindly follow your opinion of it?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wtf. I've read IGN reviews before and I can't trust them. Most of the reviews are written by someone who has been eagerly awaiting the game for the last 10 years, and so will find little to no faults in those games (this is always true when big name games arrive). Gamespot may be in the pockets of the evil corporations, but they do a good job of reviewing games. I've never been steered in the wrong direction by them, and so I'll continue trusting their reviews over everyone elses.

I just read the Zelda review and it doesn't sound like what he said is bull****. I'm sure people would have wanted someone who was already excited about the new Zelda or someone who loves Nintendo to review the game, but I'd rather it be this way. The guy praised a lot of aspects of the game, but said it didn't really stray too far from the mold and the controller didn't really add much to the game (especially considering the fighting isn't particularly deep). I don't see what the big deal is.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I haven't read the review, nor have I played the game, but after seeing the sheer number of hate threads that the GFers made? Still not surprised. People there get outraged over any little thing, like the FF remakes on GBA using Amano style portraits and such.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well Zeonix, that's sort of where I'm at too.

I think to myself, "We have been asking for this type of game since N64, and have only just now gotten it." And the only differences seem to be the graphics and the controller. So even if it is great--does it really exceed the expectations? Does it REALLY propel itself into the category of the MGS games, a Warcraft game, a Mario game, or any other legendary franchise? I'd say no--just for the sheer fact that no Zelda game has since Ocarina of Time. The others were probably all very good but none of them are phenomenal timeless classics like a Zelda III, or a Super Metroid, or a Symphony of the Night. I mean, this same type of stink was made over Wind Waker and I have no doubt that "incredible" game has spent more time on people's shelves collecting dust this past year then it has spent in their gamecubes.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's going to take awhile before people can judge the game with 20/20 hindsight, but when they are able to, they might understand that the score was justified. I wouldn't hold my breath, but anythings possible.

On a side note, good to see you're finally supporting my regime.

*Cough*

Best answers
I'd say no--just for the sheer fact that no Zelda game has since Ocarina of Time.
have you played the game yet? its my personal opinion that it is indeed better than ocarina of time. this might change after beating it but so far i am completely loving it, and have clocked over 20 hours from sunday-tuesday(which is pretty good considering on monday i'm busy form 8 int he morning till 9 at night).

edit: i just beat it, clocked in at about 30 hours with a VERY bare bones run, i was missing an entire tunic, only had about 20 poe souls(and didn't turn any of those in), i had a full row of hearts plus 3. I'm sure there was a ton of other stuff i was missing as well.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i watched the review and it seemed pretty justified.

maybe his mood while doing the review made it seem like he was saying the game sucks.

it certainly isnt a bad game, but all the nintendo kids got there hopes up too high. you cant expect to just have nintendo bring out this 'brand new revolutionary' gameing style crap and just hit it on the head straight from the start 10 out of 10.

they'll hopefully get it right on there next zelda game.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
have you played the game yet? its my personal opinion that it is indeed better than ocarina of time. this might change after beating it but so far i am completely loving it, and have clocked over 20 hours from sunday-tuesday(which is pretty good considering on monday i'm busy form 8 int he morning till 9 at night).

edit: i just beat it, clocked in at about 30 hours with a VERY bare bones run, i was missing an entire tunic, only had about 20 poe souls(and didn't turn any of those in), i had a full row of hearts plus 3. I'm sure there was a ton of other stuff i was missing as well.
Let me get this straight... you rushed through an adventure game (a Zelda game at that) on the first run? What's the point of that? There you are ruining the experience by hurrying to finish, while some of us won't get to play, possibly for a very long time. It's like watching somebody wet their hair with cold water while your lips are parched. Take your time, enjoy the sights, bask in the atmosphere... ARH!

Best answers
i enjoyed every minute of it, but i wanted to run through the story before i got down to teh nitty gritty adventuring. I'm the kind of person who reads books in a few days and watches anime all the way throuhg in a week. i always like to find out whats happening next, and now that i know i can happily adventure without worrying about 'man if i go on with the story do i get to see/do something really cool'.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm taking my sweet time with the game. I'm 9 hours through and only just finished the first dungeon. I'm enjoying it too much to rush through it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
theres like 30-45 hours of "bare bones" gameplay

which is noice, I'd pick this up if i had another 300+ dollars to blow.
but i dont.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I dunno guys. When I think "70 hour adventure game" I think only of Symphony of the Night and Super Metroid. Beyond that I'd call it "lack of a compass" most times.

I haven't played it so I can't say either way. But it is good to see that after 6 years of bickering they finally gave us adult Link in a game.

If it really does have that many solid hours of gameplay crammed into it then it seems like that alone should give it enough grace to let it be praised.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
um...

[non crucial to story spoiler] Cant you teleport from zone to zone now... i remember in zelda the coolest part, and semi time consuming part was riding around on epona to get where you wanted[/no crucial to story spoiler]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom