The mind is a wonderful thing.

Best answers
Raven Blade said:
The only real experience in conjunction with the mind I've had is dey ja vu, occasionaly having it before the incedent or during. I get dey ja vu quite alot but I think I've only had it during/before maybe once or twice. I remember sitting in class one day, and I realised I knew exactly what he was gonna say for the next like 20 seconds. Now I really cant explain that >_<.
Umm...should I be worried that this has happened more times to me than i have fingers and toes? I can seriously remember 5-6 instances of deja vu such as this off the top of my head, but I know it's happened well over that amount. Sometimes I dream about an event happening a week or so before it happens, sometimes it can be many months before. It's been happening since Year 2.

Try thinking about absolutely nothing. Impossible, right?
It's incredibly difficult to think of nothing when prompted to do it, but easier when you are bored/disinterested.

Hitoriki said:
On that topic, I find it pretty interesting what your mind can convince your body of. For example, some people only have to think of the sound of fingernails on a chalkboard, and they will get shivers up their spine. Imagination is teh powerful.
Yeh I get chills up my spine thinking about the noise/texture of those little cotton ball thingys people use to clean up cuts. Aww crap, it just happened now, I don't like them...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
GAAAAAH, do not make me think of that! I hate that sound, but whats worse is the sound of someone sucking on the collar of their sweater/jacket. INSTANT GOOSEBUMPS!

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thinking about nothing sounds awkward. Silencing the chatter in your mind does have its benefits however. If you manage to completely silence your mind, you'll find that your thoughts are a hell of a lot clearer and things seem to come easier to you. There are many other benefits, but id sound like some kid pretending to be a buddhist monk/guru.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Silent_Bob said:
Umm...should I be worried that this has happened more times to me than i have fingers and toes? I can seriously remember 5-6 instances of deja vu such as this off the top of my head, but I know it's happened well over that amount. Sometimes I dream about an event happening a week or so before it happens, sometimes it can be many months before. It's been happening since Year 2.
There's a difference between deja vu and remembering the future. I had the same thing happen for a few months at some point around fourth grade, and I was able to control it to the point where I could see what was about to happen and chance it, which of course canceled out my feeling of deja vu. Hasn't happened in years though, I can only imagine it was a passing thing.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Deja vu is not premonition, deja vu is when you think you "have been here before" or stuff like that. On the other hand, premonition is seeing the future in your dreams/flashes, thats what silent bob has, if he actually has it..

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Avenger said:
Deja vu is not premonition, deja vu is when you think you "have been here before" or stuff like that. On the other hand, premonition is seeing the future in your dreams/flashes, thats what silent bob has, if he actually has it..
You'd have to feel it yourself to know what I / we mean. My premitions of the future happened through deja vu. Deja vu is the feeling that you can remember exactly what is going on at that time, as though you you it all happen before and you are remembering it as you go along. When I had my promitions it felt exactly like deja vu, but instead of remembering things as I went along, I remembered everything that was going to happen in the next ten seconds. How can you possibly remember something before it happens? That is anybody's guess, but that's what happened to me, and from what I've seen, it has happened to a few other people too. I don't know how many people have actually seen what was about to happen and tried to change it (since you don't usually think about it when it happens), but I managed to, and I remember exactly how it felt. Anyway, I found someone else online when randomly searching who felt something similar, and he never emailed me back about it -_-.

http://dual1ty.net/thoughts/thought_9-7-02.html

Best answers
I might be getting confused here, but if you saw what was going to happen within the next 10 seconds, then you changed it, then you never really saw what was going to happen in the next 10 seconds at all...

I've had a lot of deja vu/"premenition" stuff recently. Can't explain it, and it's only with small things, but I can see where you're coming from. I do believe that it could be more than just subconcious memories though.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Like I said, there's a big difference between feeling deja vu and being able to tell the person next to you what someone is about to say. I had the latter. And I realize the paradox, I wont even attempt to explain it, but I did feel something when I changed it in the pit of my stomach. I've told this story to people a thousand times and I don't expect people to take it seriously on an internet forum but I've got no reason to lie about it.

Best answers
I believe you. I've had experiences like it before so I'm a believer in this kind of stuff.
Anyway, I've seen your views in the threads on fate and such, and it seems like you're a firm believer in that too. So wouldn't changing the future in your opinion be impossible? It might sound like I'm just trying to disprove what you're saying, but I'm not, I'm genuinely just interested.

Best answers
The sound of stepping on snow makes me cringe.

The thought of clipping your nipples do to.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lol, it's amazing what sets people off.

Cotton? Stepping on snow? Sucking on a jacket collar? And then there are the people who aren't even affected by the typical stuff, like nails on a chalkboard. Funky. I wonder what causes the reactions to these random things?

Best answers
Things that I can't stand or make me cringe:
1. Open grassy fields while looking into the sky. *Thanks 7th grade science teacher and his discussion on antigravity with me*
2. Thoughts of being lost in space or going into space.
3. Deep open water.
4. Heights around buildings.

Best answers
Avenger said:
On the other hand, premonition is seeing the future in your dreams/flashes, thats what silent bob has, if he actually has it..
Yup, that's the one, just wasn't sure how to express it properly. The most recent time it happened was around July this year, so yeh, it looks like it's not really fading away just yet.

darknavigator said:
The thought of clipping your nipples do to.
I'm kinda glad I don't know what that's like...

Best answers
wow this topic got huge.. in like 3 days..
i really wish that i would pay more attention during ap Psych class.. my teacher has touched each of these subjects atleast once..
I've been having some moments of de ja vu recently... almost daily.. it's still weird each and every day..
and dreaming, i wish i could remember my dreams.. have you guys heard of lucid dreaming? It's where you know that you're dreaming and you are able to manipulate your dream. sounds fun... haha. my teacher says it takes practice but when you're able to do it, it's makes your dreams fun! i think i kind of did it.. i was thinking that i wanted to fly.. and i flew, but i didn't know that i was dreaming, fun stuff.. can't wait untill my class gets to that stuff..
and hypnosis.. i think you guys are getting too far into pop psychology. TODAY in psych class, my teacher said that hypnosis is just make you calm down. nothing more, nothing less.. what you see in the fair and TV is totally bogus..

there was another topic a page back about being frozen when you wake up and you aren't able to move.. that happened to me once.. but i think i was just incredibly tired.. i was awake, but no matter how hard i tried, i couldn't move any of limbs.. it could have been the that chemical that was referred to Magus's post.. I've heard of it as called a demon press... feeling the pressure on your chest and the evil spirit.. realy scary.. so, being a christian, i was taught to pray, and that calmed me down... No.. actually i feel back to sleep immediatly..

o and Ashur getting hit in the face? i think your adrenaline was pumping, but you were keeping yourself under control.. from your typos i think that english isn't your first language, so i think that's what you were doing... i was almost in a fight in school... this guy kept talking crap about me and i got sick of it. i got an adrenaline rush i socked him straight in the chest., and i knew it hurt because i see him tearing up.. after that i turned and sat back down.(this was in the bleachers during P.E.) next thing i know, the guy smacks me straight in the face. but with my adrenaline pumping, it hadn't hurt.. it didn't hurt later either, so i guess the guy was a pussy.. i let it drop, because i knew i was i better than a guy who would hit me from behind.

oh the mind... how it can be so tricky~!
--------
i think this is my longest post ever on these boards... haha. sorry if it's hard to read.

Best answers
Check out this thing I found at the library today (completely coincidental as well, I was at my table and some girl walked by and dropped the books she'd used on there and then ran off...I didn't think my face was that scary :()

Psychic Phenomena said:
An experimental situation was devised in which a pendulum was freely suspended under a bell jar on a table in the centre of the laboratory. A group of 44 volunteer subjects was divided into two subgroups of 22 subjects each. The two subgroups were then seated at opposite sides of the pendulum and instructed to mentally influence the pendulum to move. One subgroup to push against the pendulum and the other subgroup was instructed to pull.

A metronome was used to pace the subgroups and to allow the push and pull efforts to alternate rather than to occur together. A series of 5 minute practise sessions was provided with a brief rest period following each session. On the third session, the pendulum showed first a turning motion, then a distinct swinging movement. The metronome was stopped and the subjects, upon being instructed to increase the pendulum's movement, successfully accelerated the movement of the pendulum until it struck the sides of the bell jar, a clear demonstration of voluntarily induced PK (Psychokinesis).

Whether spontaneously or voluntarily evoked, PK illustrates the remarkable capacity of the human mind to mobilise and utilise sheer mental energy to influence physical realities.
Interesting no? It still seems kind of hard to believe to me, but it certainly raised my eyebrows. The coincident thing was pretty cool too, because I'd been thinking about this thread about an hour or so before it happened. Comments, criticisms, death threats anyone?

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This thread is spooky. Maybe if we all concentrate our energies we can make 1.3 come out tomorrow. No?

I'm still a bit skeptical on the mind's ability to do these things, rather I believe its our sub conscious creating mischief my tricking our conscious self into seeing things we want to. Like when you've been thinking about someone or something all day and then you dream about it. The subconscious attempts to manifest itself in the conscious world through a person's perception to life. You may think you have had deja vu, but perhaps its just your mind telling you this scene looks familiar. As I said much earlier in this thread. The mind is too complex for any person to understand.

Oh and Silent Bob smells. :D

Best answers
Rocky87 said:
Oh and Silent Bob smells.
Aww I got flamed...:(

I believe the mind is capable of a substantial amount more than we can do at the present time. Without training and dedication however we can't do those things, excepting extreme situations where the mind induces in itself a sort of "steroid shot" and we manage superhumanesque feats, like lifting a car up to save a trapped baby or something like that. Sorry if it didn't make much sense, but I'm not all that good at expressing myself.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Now you're comparing mental abilities (for lack of better term) to physical ones. It's true that sometimes a person can accomplish impossible deeds in the wake of tragedy I believe you're refering to adrenaline when you say "steroid shot" but I don't really know if that is contributed by the mind specifically. If the person lifted the car by mental powers alone then you could make a valid comparison.

Best answers
Eh, not exactly. Like I said, it's difficult for me to express what I'm trying to say, so to avoid an argument about something I can't express clearly, I will just withdraw my previous remarks and barr comments regarding that post forthwith.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, here's a reminder.. The mind is what makes the adrenaline isnt it? So if you concentrate hard enough, your muscle strength can increase by 30%.

The powers of the mind are not just levitating things, there are two types of "paranormal powers", they are called PK which has to do with things like telekinesis(moving things with thought) and telepathy, there is also something called ESP, which involve premonitions and out of body experiences. I do not believe you did the things you did, because there are so many people just wanting attention by saying they are special. Tell me now, if I said I had the power to change the weather, would you believe me without evidence? No, I highly doubt it..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom