The meaning of life found

Status
Not open for further replies.
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bah those are just gossips and ripoffs you mentioned. WoW sucks so it's no fun, at least to me. I meant be adventurous, do **** that's really fun and satisfying. That isn't impossible nowadays, and some people think it is.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They go to school, grow up, go to college, get a job, get married, have kids, grow old and die.
...What else is there? I'm sure more unique stuff fits in there, but what other paths are there? Staying single? Not going to school?

I believe the meaning of life is to find a purpose and happiness. I dislike the idea that the goal in life is to experience everything. It feels like an unfair responsibility and if you aren't out there doing crazy things and living on the edge of life, then you aren't living at all. A little too extreme for my taste. We do not completely know what happens when we die, so I plan to find purpose and happiness in my life.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heh, wasn't really intending for this topic to be a serious discussion, but whatever floats your boat.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well boats have been floated so i guess ill get in on it...

meaning of life? i'd guess thered be quite a few of them depending on the person. for one man the meaning of life could be to protect his children. for a 14 year old it could mean getting past that level 165 cobalt dragon thats been kicking your ass. i think it varies with experience, age, and situation.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When I speak of the meaning of life, I'm not talking about the flavor of the moment. I'm talking about something that encompasses your entire life.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah i know what you mean...

well an entire life can last all of five seconds. so i think flavor of the moment suits the question best.

purpose of all life. i cant really say to have a purpose though. when you look at it it doesnt seem like life is that positive an idea.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When I speak of the meaning of life, I'm not talking about the flavor of the moment. I'm talking about something that encompasses your entire life.
I actually do not think everyone is capable, or wants to,define a purpose for their entire life. Kinda like DaRk said, it varies with people. Maybe one person has a goal in his life: to expand and improve his company as much as possible until his death or retirement. Another person may be trying to get a relationship to work, and everything beyond that, he'll take as it comes a long.

Haha, poor Sub's thread. I hope it doesn't get nasty from a light hearted link.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Right. So basically, the meaning of life boils down to personal preference, much like everything else in life. The meaning of life is, in fact, how you choose to live your life, if that makes sense.

Yeah, poor Sub's thread. :(

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't see why people have to question what the meaning of life is. They should question what the meaning of their life is. To question the meaning of life is to question the meaning of our existence as a whole. Which like questioning the meaning of life is impossible to answer. However, questioning what the meaning of your life is isn't impossible.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't believe "the meaning of life" can be boiled down to just wanting to build up a business or have kids. That sounds more like "What makes you happy?"

What have you done to benefit humanity during your lifetime? What have you done to further the human race? What have you done to ensure that the people of tomorrow are cared for and will live in what we can only hope to be a better world that that in which we live today? How have you made a difference? How have affected the people around you? How have you affected the Universe? How far down the rabbit hole were you willing to go?

Yes, it's up to the person to determine what they want their purpose in life to be, but simply saying "I want to be the best baseball player ever!" and achieving that doesn't necessarily mean you've reached your potential and you did what you were born to do. While the meaning of life may differ from person to person on a small scale, it is something that I would think everyone would have in common on a much larger scale, considering what we do decides where our race will end up centuries from now and beyond.

@ MC: You got your post in before I did, but I think when people say "What is the meaning of life?", they're asking it on a more personal level. They're not actually asking what is the purpose of sentient life or even just life in general?

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I thought the meaning of life was 42...

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
@ MC: You got your post in before I did, but I think when people say "What is the meaning of life?", they're asking it on a more personal level. They're not actually asking what is the purpose of sentient life or even just life in general?
That's true, though it tends to become more than a question of personal importance or being.

I thought the meaning of life was 42...
You know what the funny thing about that is? People actually spent time trying to figure out why Douglas Adams picked 42. Hell, someone even created a Wikipedia article for it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Answer_to_Life,_the_Universe,_and_Everything

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Phew, that was a close one. Okay guys, we can stop guessing at what the purpose of sentient life is. Arthos and Onslaught already know the answer beyond the shadow of a doubt. I should have known that two of the best minds humanity has to offer can be found on the ESF forum. They've surpassed the greatest philosophers and scientists of all time, and they're so young! Typically I'd think they were just repeating one-liners spouted by people who generally know what they're talking about, but still are uncertain about the purpose of human life, but that can't be true with these guys. No sir!

Boy is there pie all over my face.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That doesn't really make sense Zeo...

Vox Dei said:
I don't believe "the meaning of life" can be boiled down to just wanting to build up a business or have kids. That sounds more like "What makes you happy?"
Not the way you say it, no. The meaning of life is defined by each individual as what that person believes he/she is best off doing. Whether you realize it or not, everything you do affects the people around you. Just greeting someone on the street can change their mood. That's the ripple effect. Send out the right ripples, and you've successfully contributed to making the world a better place, in your own special way. That's the meaning of life.

That being said, a goal like becoming the best baseball player ever (using your example) could help in a lot of ways. You entertain people, especially young kids who want to grow up to be like you (thus repeating the process). You change their mood. You make them happy. Because they're happy, they're more productive. Of course, this isn't limited to just baseball. Gaming makes me happy, and because of that, I enjoy studying more because of the thought that my game is waiting for me when I finish. Or music. Music keeps me entertained while I study, and so it helps me fight boredom and get it all done. It's little things like that which make a difference.

You don't have to do something big and spectacular like curing cancer to make a difference in the world. You define your own path. However you choose to live your life, you affect those around you, and make an impact on their decisions as well. This is how the world works. Have you ever wondered what a person has thought after you said goodbye to them, or what they went on to do? Or how they went about doing it? Or whether what you said had any major impact on the decisions they've made?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What have you done to benefit humanity during your lifetime? What have you done to further the human race? What have you done to ensure that the people of tomorrow are cared for and will live in what we can only hope to be a better world that that in which we live today? How have you made a difference? How have affected the people around you? How have you affected the Universe? How far down the rabbit hole were you willing to go?
I can't help but feel like people are squandering their potential in favor of chasing small pleasures and living day to day, working and toiling away without doing anything substantial or having the ambition to change the world for the better. I mean, is playing baseball really a crowning achievement? Is that something to actually be proud of? Is making people "more productive" something to be proud of? Hooray, they're happier at work. They're content with being nothing more than being drones? Congratulations. You've done the most you could possibly do with your life.

That sounds incredibly dreary and ordinary.

Of course, I'm in the minority. I've spoken to all of my friends and to their friends and everyone seems to be perfectly content with doing nothing more than being a blip on the radar. And then of course they'll complain about the rich having more money than they ever will and how horrible people in power are or how they wish there was something they could do to make the government better, as if they really don't have a say in the matter and they're destined to just live a middle class life until the day they die.

Things and materialism make people happy temporarily, but far too often when people take a step back later on in life and actually review their what they've done, they can't help but feel unhappy that they really haven't achieved anything in the grand scheme of things. Maybe I just hung around too many old people when I was a kid. Maybe I'm just a dreamer or maybe I'm just a moron for wanting to do something huge with my life.

If you're okay with simply passing along, that's perfectly fine, but there are way more options out there available to each and every one of us than people are aware of, whether it be because they were never made away of those options or because they simply choose to ignore them.

To each his own, I guess, but I feel humanity's destiny is far greater than most people believe and we're not going to achieve our potential by simply doing as we're told and hoping someone else fixes our problems or does something that we can all mooch off of.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Phew, that was a close one. Okay guys, we can stop guessing at what the purpose of sentient life is. Arthos and Onslaught already know the answer beyond the shadow of a doubt. I should have known that two of the best minds humanity has to offer can be found on the ESF forum. They've surpassed the greatest philosophers and scientists of all time, and they're so young! Typically I'd think they were just repeating one-liners spouted by people who generally know what they're talking about, but still are uncertain about the purpose of human life, but that can't be true with these guys. No sir!

Boy is there pie all over my face.

being that i've studied biology more than i'd have liked to, and that Entropy was actually one of my central subjects, i'd hold back on the sarcasm. although, you're partly correct, as the meaning of life, and the definition of life, are two different things, most people here wouldn't recognise the difference though.

also, be forwarned, your "witty banter" and sarcasm, are bordering on inflamitory. remember that while some people might view your posts as humerous, they probably don't know how to read between the lines. your stay on this forum is subject to you not being a ****, i would expect you, please, to follow that tennet.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What I said wasn't even close to inflammatory so don't try to spin it that way just because my post was directed at you. When we're talking about something that has no real answer, or at least an answer no one really agrees on, speaking in a matter-of-fact tone is hardly the way to go. You had no problem speaking condescendingly in where's_warren's thread, so don't pretend to be doing your job when someone does the same exact thing, which I wasn't even doing. I was simply pointing out how utterly ridiculous it is to state something as fact when it is but one of many views.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom