The First Law Trilogy / Best Served Cold / The Heroes / Red Country - Joe Abercrombie

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Anyone read this mans books?!

Each one is a freaking hit! I can't believe it. I read his first book and thought it was pretty bad, for the first chapter or two, then, as it continued, it just became so good, to the point I thought it could ONLY go downhill, but each book he adds, RAISES THE BAR.

He has new, unheard of writing mechanics he uses, to allow the view point from almost every character in the scene. It's just such a treat as "Random Guard B" in any other book, randomly gets a Chapter from his PoV, as he looks upon the "Main characters" and their actions.

Or in Battle scenes, as it shifts from character to character, as the character you were following is killed, your PoV is switched to his killers, then to his killers, so on and so forth, creating a dynamic that brings the Battlefield alive!

I can just read his books for hours on end, not wanting to sleep because each chapter just gets more interesting. Seriously, this guy is incredible! I wouldn't be surprised if he goes down as the next Tolkien of the fantasy genre!

His ability to bring characters to the point where you honestly care about them and understand their emotions, to the point where you can visually see the setting in your head down to the littlest detail. I don't know if he can keep this streak up though, each one just seems to be getting better and better, but every author writes a dud or two...

The characters he makes and the way he weaves in references to them in other books, even ones decades later than the events, makes you feel as if the world is alive, and just, I mean if you thought a Song of Fire & Ice had alot of Point of Views, nothing on this mans series. He offers so many PoV's that by the time the book is done, you understand almost everybodies motivations, even the worthless characters whom have no importance to the story, but that just helps build the world.

Also, the plot twists are very rare in this book, unlike most Authors, he doesn't try to plot twist you to keep your attention, and some plot twists are actually hidden, that you have to gather random details from chapters to put together. It's never a "AHA!" and a character explains the entire twist in a Chapter. He leaves that to the reader, to figure out, which just makes them so much more endearing.

I'd say I hope this gets it's own HBO series, someday, as Game of Thrones did pretty well in it's adaption of a Song of Fire & Ice...but it's hard to say.

The Bloody Nine / Logen Ninefingers has to be one of the biggest, most badass characters ever designed.

Imagine Guts, from Berserk, but throw in a touch of insanity, and with a desire of "bettering himself".

'I am made of death. I am the Great Leveller. I am the storm in the High Places.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So a motivated Guts. Sounds like my kind of book. Once I finish all of the Game of Thrones books, I might try them out.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Guts, with the desire to better himself, but at times unable to control himself. Berserk, literally, just switching off and goes into rampage mode.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've read the First Law Trilogy. Its a damn good series and I really loved Logan. Its not that he can't control himself, he just has a split personality. You forgot to mention the Cripple though, that dude is boss.

I didn't read the others in the series because Logan isn't a part of them as far as I know. I miss the original group.

However, "The Name of the Wind" and "The Wise Man's Fear" from the Kingkiller Chronicles will always be my most favorite fantasy books ever. Just give them a read if you haven't, Mkil.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Z Power.

Best Served Cold features Caul Shivers. Worth reading alone for that, and a Glokta(The Cripple)like character.

The Heroes features that guy Jezel fought in the Tournament and was made a Kings Guard. He's actually quite awesome.

As for... "Red Country"

A certain Nine Fingered Man makes a showing.

They burned her home.
They stole her brother and sister.
But vengeance is following.

Shy South hoped to bury her bloody past and ride away smiling, but she'll have to sharpen up some bad old ways to get her family back, and she's not a woman to flinch from what needs doing. She sets off in pursuit with only a pair of oxen and her cowardly old step father Lamb for company. But it turns out Lamb's buried a bloody past of his own. And out in the lawless Far Country the past never stays buried.

Their journey will take them across the barren plains to a frontier town gripped by gold fever, through feud, duel and massacre, high into the unmapped mountains to a reckoning with the Ghosts. Even worse, it will force them into alliance with Nicomo Cosca, infamous soldier of fortune, and his feckless lawyer Temple, two men no one should ever have to trust . . .
Nicomo Cosca is awesome as always, especially if you read Best Served Cold, in which he is one of the mains. Caul makes a few Cameos...you have to read "Best Served Cold" to get alot of references. Also, "The Heroes" explains why the Union now has Muskets & Cannons. (Bayaz is not content with just magic!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom