That Other Avatar Movie

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
[video=youtube;0iwh70CLHiM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iwh70CLHiM[/video]

So anyone else going to catch this? I'm gonna have to say it's lookin pretty badass so far.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Never seen the cartoon, although its aired in Israel but its gonna be ****ed up if it will be aimed for kids or for all ages, like Lucas did in the new star wars. Keep it for 18+

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I'm in love with the avatar state ^_^.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Never seen the cartoon, although its aired in Israel but its gonna be ****ed up if it will be aimed for kids or for all ages, like Lucas did in the new star wars. Keep it for 18+
I dunno, the cartoon was aimed towards kids but I guess it ended up being a pretty good series. I wouldn't know if that's true because I've only seen a few episodes of it. :p

Force Pit Member
Best answers
theres something special about nickelodeon, ive noticed both Avatar and Spongebob contain elements and culture references only adults will understand. This is why im still laughing from spongebob. I'd even say half of the show is adult related.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've never watched the show, but those trailers really make me want to see this movie. Still can't figure out why M. Night is directing, hopefully there will be no "if you see it you will [not] **** bricks" twist.

Super Saiyan Dabura
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
what awesome is about some movies is that cuz of even one actor in the whole cast can ruin my viewing perspective. In this one props goes to teh slumdog millionaire dude

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I dunno, the cartoon was aimed towards kids but I guess it ended up being a pretty good series. I wouldn't know if that's true because I've only seen a few episodes of it. :p
There were a few moments in the cartoon where I went "Oh God, that's right, this is a kid's show after all" but it is still a good watch, I think. The cartoon is pretty much an American-made shounen anime, so that is to be expected. But like Deco said, there were little jokes or throwbacks here and there that only an adult would recognize.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The movie looks good. I think i'll go see it when it's out. :)

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Yup, same. I can't wait for this movie. I always like the original series on TV. I've watched them all until the end even.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's been the only good fusion cartoon so far, the fusion being Japanese anime and American cartoons.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is what I call a real Avatar movie.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd watch the movie on a bluray 52" TV since it's CGI driven, with no hesitation... I'm giving it a chance.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd agree with that.

She isn't brown. I know it's stupid for brown people to be in Antarctica but goddamn it, you can't go changing the characters willy nilly.
Actors look ****, special effects are the highlight of the trailer, and most of all there's absolutely no need to make a live action film of it. Calling this, it's gonna be ****.
While her skincolor is off from the source, I think her facial features are something I'd expect to see in someone of far north living tribe.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Its pretty accurate to the show from what I have seen in the show and this preview.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What I think is that it's going to be a rousing success. Really, the issues people have here with race, are NOTHING compared to Dragonball Evolution, so there's a big plus. On the levels that matter, the characters mostly represent who they're portraying. Hell, Aang's actor just looks great, and while Zuko's missing a ponytail or whatever, I think Patel is really feeling the character's vibe, so no complaints there. Sokka is a hard one, because I don't think a live-action film will quite have the same snarky bits of comic-relief, which makes me think he'll be a bit different in that sense. You can't really find an actor who can pull him off verbatim without it sounding really cheesy. But, I could be wrong.

Either way, Shyamalan is pretty much a perfect match for a film like this. Character-driven fantasy tales are his THING, not to mention he has a damned good history of getting great performances out of kids. His last few films have fallen to his own ego, which before had actually been helping his films rather than hurt him. I think something like this is exactly the kind of thematic 180 he needs to get his act together. I've got some high hopes.

That doesn't come without lowering my expectations of course. Let's drop the pretense here, everyone is terrified of what could happen to something like this ever since Dragonball Evolution limped it's way into theaters last year, but for me, I'm so thrilled just to see that the BASIC elements of the story, characters and Universe of "Avatar" are being almost pulled from the animation cels (seriously guys, that shot of the Southern Tribe members staring toward the camera holding lanterns, the ice-sphere Aang froze himself in, that tiny, itty bitty shot of a CGI Appa that looked almost precisely like the show version?) I'm excited, damnit. It's already got all the "musts" I can think of off the top of my head. Yes, it's a feature film, and lots of "episodes" are going to get cut. Characters will get cut. Places will get cut. There's probably no way we'll see that (albeit "fluffy") episode with the two tribes in the canyon, or whatever. But so far, it's hitting all the notes it needs to, and I don't think some of the faithful imagery here is at all a coincidence given that M. Night is supposedly a big Avatar fan to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom